Registered
1,569 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Reactions: Torontonian69

·
Registered
2021 Sienna LE AWD "Mr. Sparkollz"
1,243 Posts
According to research firm Navigant, GM is now the leader in AV development.

Also of note is Tesla’s dismal standing in the analysis by Navigant.

The full report appears to be behind a paywall, only a summary is accessible for free.
What you mean, 'Tesla's dismal standing'?

Don't you know the Mars-bound Roadster and flamethrowers are cool?

·
Registered
1,569 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 · (Edited)
What you mean, 'Tesla's dismal standing'?

Don't you know the Mars-bound Roadster and flamethrowers are cool?
Yes, we need a graph that shows total vehicles in outer space. Tesla for the win!

Correction: NASA for the win, NASA has three vehicles on the moon, and two on Mars. Tesla loses again.

Reactions: Dimitrij

·
Registered
1,963 Posts
The lengths some people will go to simply to rid themselves of their old, crappy Tesla roadster ...

·
Registered
2021 Sienna LE AWD "Mr. Sparkollz"
1,243 Posts
Yes, we need a graph that shows total vehicles in outer space. Tesla for the win!

Correction: NASA for the win, NASA has three vehicles on the moon, and two on Mars. Tesla loses again.
Correction correction: there are three NASA vehicles on Mars, and two of them, Opportunity and Curiosity (unlike the Red Roadster) are actually functional ... and a lot more autonomous.

·
Registered
5,449 Posts
Correction correction: there are three NASA vehicles on Mars, and two of them, Opportunity and Curiosity (unlike the Red Roadster) are actually functional ... and a lot more autonomous.
Don't forget three lunar rovers left on the moon

·
Registered
42 Posts
i was very happy with the Bolt's AV system, and their stance of no more nav let the phones do it. I'm an iPhone user and have had 0 problems. The only thing I have run into that I don't like if I get on the phone part, and am talking to someone and look at the energy screen, you can't get back to Carplay until you hang up the phone, it won't let you out of the energy menus and the home button won't work until you hang up

·
Registered
1,569 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
i was very happy with the Bolt's AV system, and their stance of no more nav let the phones do it. I'm an iPhone user and have had 0 problems. The only thing I have run into that I don't like if I get on the phone part, and am talking to someone and look at the energy screen, you can't get back to Carplay until you hang up the phone, it won't let you out of the energy menus and the home button won't work until you hang up
AV is an abbreviation for Autonomous Vehicle. No production Bolt currently supports AV technology, but GM will be using a fleet of Bolts to do extensive testing.

A fully autonomous vehicle will have no driver, and no driver controls. No steering wheel or pedals.

·
Registered
771 Posts
GM CEO Mary Barra and CFO Chuck Stevens held a conference call for investors recently:
-- Stevens: Our spend on transportation-as-a-service is expected to increase by about $400 million [ to roughly $1 billion ] in 2018 versus 2017 as we prepare to deploy self-driving vehicles in a ride-share environment in 2019.

-- Stevens: ...$2.8 billion (set aside) for [...] M&A [mergers and acquisitions] -- not that I'm suggesting there's anything on the radar...

GM announced that it is gearing up to deploy "thousands" of self-driving vehicles in urban ride-hailing services sometime in 2019

Waymo [Parent: Alphabet] has ordered "thousands" of Chrysler Pacifica PHEV minivans from Fiat Chrysler, which is the car Waymo used in the 100-vehicle early rider program. This is for their [late] 2018 roll out.

Uber [Alphabet owns almost 10% of Uber] in the largest deal for autonomous vehicles, ordered 24,000 XC90 PHEV's from Volvo. Roll out expected 2019.

Tesla and Apple are still in "stealth mode".

·
Registered
7,106 Posts
The only thing I have run into that I don't like if I get on the phone part, and am talking to someone and look at the energy screen, you can't get back to Carplay until you hang up the phone, it won't let you out of the energy menus and the home button won't work until you hang up
This is a bit off topic for this thread, and I use Android Auto so it may not be entirely equivalent. But a long press (around 3-5 seconds) of the "home" button can be used to go back to Android Auto - I'd expect it would work for CarPlay as well.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.