Chevy Bolt EV Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
67 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Includes an interview with GM President Dan Ammann about testing self-driving Chevy Bolts in both San Francisco and Scottsdale:

·
Registered
735 Posts
Pipped to the post

This is going to be important. Self-driving might not only help people who can't drive, elderly seniors, and disabled people, but the ability to avoid our own distracted driving, replan routes, set up music, make a phone call, etc., is just stupendous. Not to mention other activities like reading a magazine, working, and so on. Safety on the road is going to improve from this, and one assumes that if you really wanted to take the wheel, you could. Go GM. I suspect GM is a bit further ahead than most, given the way they pipped Tesla to the post with the Chevy Bolt EV.

·
Registered
979 Posts
Being a perpetual skeptic I’m wondering why GM’s top executives (Barra / Ammann / Stevens) are hitting the airwaves so hard lately about GM’s progress with AV’s:

1.) Is it a “pump and dump” ? After all there’s lots of GM-executive stock options hanging out there that have been worth diddly since the relaunch of GM Co. at 33 bucks several years ago. Notice the high volume of inside trading starting in October.

2.) Is it a: “if you’re thinking of busting into this industry, think again” kind of thing ? That’s the only reason the big-3 still exist: Price of entry has historically been too high - - until the 21 century that is..

3.) Waymo isn’t way more. So there.
:confused:

·
Registered
3,778 Posts
Includes an interview with GM President Dan Ammann about testing self-driving Chevy Bolts in both San Francisco and Scottsdale
Interesting to see the sensors on the front fenders flipping around at 0:21 in the video. It kind of reminded me of a cat flicking its ears. They're obviously not LIDAR, I wonder what they are?

·
Registered
1,376 Posts
Being a perpetual skeptic I’m wondering why GM’s top executives (Barra / Ammann / Stevens) are hitting the airwaves so hard lately about GM’s progress with AV’s:

1.) Is it a “pump and dump” ? After all there’s lots of GM-executive stock options hanging out there that have been worth diddly since the relaunch of GM Co. at 33 bucks several years ago. Notice the high volume of inside trading starting in October.

2.) Is it a: “if you’re thinking of busting into this industry, think again” kind of thing ? That’s the only reason the big-3 still exist: Price of entry has historically been too high - - until the 21 century that is..

3.) Waymo isn’t way more. So there.
:confused:
Or maybe GM wants to be the industry leader in self-driving technology, just as they say. It could happen.

·
Registered
979 Posts
Or maybe GM wants to be the industry leader in self-driving technology
For sure, no doubt that’s got to be the case. But what’s interesting at this juncture is GM’s communications strategy about it ?

Here’s a few more guesses:

1.) “kick ‘em while they’re down”: Ford is so far behind it’s embarrassing. The big-3 love to kick one of the others in the group every time somebody gets a significant advantage. Even though it’s a pretty friendly club normally,

2.) It’s sure a lot cheaper than doing corporate advertising on the Superbowl. Especially when you’ve got an early 40-ish bearded guy with a Kiwi twang who happens to be President of GM, respected & capable of doing the Corporate pitch over cheap media. (remember the last Kiwi GM had when GM Co. was relaunched at $33/share. That guy bailed shortly thereafter, seems like he got pump-and-dumper’s remorse.)

3.) The testing of those Bolts with all the weird paraphanalia hanging off of them certainly attracts attention. And now with AV’s being such a hot media topic in general. Might as well get ahead of the curve and control your own public relations message about it. Cheaply.:p

1 - 6 of 6 Posts