Chevy Bolt EV Forum banner

1 - 20 of 68 Posts

·
Registered
2,811 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So it looks like GM is being a bit more assertive and public with regards to their funding of public charging sites. Over the next five years, GM will fund 2,700 new DC fast chargers, more than tripling the size of the current EVgo network. Charger speeds will be matched to the venues, with speeds ranging from 100 kW to 350 kW. The first of these GM-funded chargers should be available to EV owners starting in early 2021.

·
Registered
2,811 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Every bit helps!
I feel like this is way more than a bit. This is tripling the size of the largest charging network in the United States (yes, EVgo already has more charging sites than there are Tesla Supercharger sites in the United States), and they are increasing the overall speed of the network while they are doing it. To put this into perspective, Electrify America just opened their 2,000th fast charger, so GM is offering to build a bigger network than the current Electrify Network in just five years. That is HUGE.

·
Registered
356 Posts
It’s about time GM got off their collective a**. How could they possibly think they could sell cars to the masses with the charging situation so pathetic? Us early adapters are a patient lot, not so the folks that want to fuel up and go like their experience with ICE. I say bravo!

·
Registered
2,811 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
It’s about time GM got off their collective a**. How could they possibly think they could sell cars to the masses with the charging situation so pathetic? Us early adapters are a patient lot, not so the folks that want to fuel up and go like their experience with ICE. I say bravo!
I'm liking this new look from GM. They aren't just sitting back and taking the misrepresentations that we've seen in the EV media up to this point. Some of those "news" outlets are still trying to poo-poo even this, but this is too big and ostentatious to undermine, even for those Tesla-backed media sites.

·
Registered
245 Posts
Looks like they are mostly going to be in town chargers designed for shoppers but it is still very welcome. I'm beginning to feel like I won't buy a Tesla unless there is a CCS adapter.

·
Registered
2018 Bolt EV Premier Nightfall Gray
194 Posts
I feel like this is way more than a bit. This is tripling the size of the largest charging network in the United States (yes, EVgo already has more charging sites than there are Tesla Supercharger sites in the United States), and they are increasing the overall speed of the network while they are doing it. To put this into perspective, Electrify America just opened their 2,000th fast charger, so GM is offering to build a bigger network than the current Electrify Network in just five years. That is HUGE.
I didn’t mean to belittle the effort. Infrastructure needs vary, this is a big help for certain users. Long trips won’t benefit much from this effort.

But it frees up others to focus on the long haul routes. Also, others can focus on L2 at workplaces, hotels, apartments, and condos.

Every contribution to infrastructure closes gaps. It adds up over time.

·
Registered
2,811 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Looks like they are mostly going to be in town chargers designed for shoppers but it is still very welcome. I'm beginning to feel like I won't buy a Tesla unless there is a CCS adapter.
They never specified the size of the "cities and suburbs." This does not necessarily mean metropolitan centers, and these cities could be the likes of Alturas, CA; Cheyenne, WY; Jackson, MS; and Pierre, SD. Covering unsupported cities is just as important for travel at this point as dedicated travel chargers on interstates.

·
Registered
438 Posts
If nothing else comes from the proposed GM charger build-outs is that it might light a fire under Tesla's butt and encourage them to increase their number of stations as well. Hopefully both "sides" will consider themselves in an "infrastructure war" which will be good for all of us!

Rich

·
Registered
303 Posts
I hope it turns out better than the Bechtel alliance, which produced nothing (like I thought). For some time, EV buyers will be those that have home charging. What they want is a charging network that allows them to travel anywhere they can imagine. Focusing on cities and suburbs won't do it, not for those buying the high-end EVs that are most of the new offerings. No one needs a city Hummer. Still, more is better, wherever they are.

·
Registered
2,025 Posts
More DCFC, even if all in cities, will incease adoption of those living in apt and condos. Cities benefit the most from reduced pollution. But, yes, it would be best to have some competition for EA.

Reactions: ga2500ev

·
Registered
2,025 Posts

·
Registered
2,811 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Yep, looks like that's it. Having lots of DCFC at the mall would be real nice.

Unfortunately, Electrek (with their Tesla funding) isn't a credible source, especially when it comes to their "take." You're much better off sticking to EVgo or GM's own press releases on the matter rather than trusting their spin.

·
Registered
4,645 Posts
It seems to me that the Volt, Spark and Bolt have been technology and market test beds for GM. I think they've learned what they set out to and now they're getting ready to up their game to the next level. Slow but steady.

·
Registered
2018 Bolt EV Premier Nightfall Gray
194 Posts
It seems to me that the Volt, Spark and Bolt have been technology and market test beds for GM. I think they've learned what they set out to and now they're getting ready to up their game to the next level. Slow but steady.
Let's hope. Not that I think GM is the only game in town, but many strong EV players will do more to advance the tech than players who never go past dipping their toes in the water.

·
Registered
245 Posts
If nothing else comes from the proposed GM charger build-outs is that it might light a fire under Tesla's butt and encourage them to increase their number of stations as well. Hopefully both "sides" will consider themselves in an "infrastructure war" which will be good for all of us!

Rich
or at least encourage Tesla to add a CCS port or offer an adapter.

·
Registered
2,811 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
The Volt was GM's mainstream "EV," but it was largely ignored by the American people and DOA in Australia and Europe. People seem to think the Volt failed as a result of marketing and awareness, but that was not the case at all. The Volt might have been the first victim of the United State's current hegemonic political system, where we now find ourselves in an existential battle over whether certain lives matter, whether masks are Constitutional, and whether a globally recognized pandemic is simply a "hoax." Being labeled "Obummer's car" pretty much ensured that middle America wouldn't touch the Volt (my local Chevy dealership refused to carry them because of their association with the Former President), and being an American car meant that most people on the coasts would opt for a Prius if they wanted a "hybrid."

The Bolt EV was a conquest vehicle that was designed for the coastal markets where either its range was sufficient for >90% of the average consumer's driving needs or the infrastructure was sufficient to support long range travel. Now that GM is looking to make EVs a mainstream offering across all their markets, they need to do something to ensure that their customers have the piece of mind to buy an EV regardless of their location.

It's that last part that's why I'm not convinced that these EVgo chargers will be isolated to large metropolitan areas. GM has stated that they still consider EVs to be conquest vehicles, and that they are primarily targeting the coasts. So the cities they have in mind for these charging locations are likely to be up and down each coast, but I doubt they will ignore their bread-and-butter markets across the rust belt. Chargers in cities like Cleveland, Detroit, Fairfax, Fort Wayne, Springfield, etc. are going to do as much to support EV adoption as a dedicated travel charger network, though I still believe that travel chargers will still be necessary. We need to keep in mind that many of the EVs GM is proposing will travel 400 miles on a charge, which makes them far less reliant on a freeway gas station style charging network.

·
Registered
5,016 Posts
They never specified the size of the "cities and suburbs." This does not necessarily mean metropolitan centers, and these cities could be the likes of Alturas, CA; Cheyenne, WY; Jackson, MS; and Pierre, SD. Covering unsupported cities is just as important for travel at this point as dedicated travel chargers on interstates.
The units EVgo put in Charlottesville recently, are no further off the interstate than the Supercharger site. They are basically the same distance, on opposite sides of the town bypass, on Rt 15

In fact EVgo just put in a second site in Charlottesville.

I would argue, for any of these three charge sites, by the time you get off I-64, and drive into town, you are going to eat a meal, and the time between 50 kW and 120 kW isn't going to make much difference.

·
Registered
1,459 Posts
I hope it turns out better than the Bechtel alliance, which produced nothing (like I thought). For some time, EV buyers will be those that have home charging. What they want is a charging network that allows them to travel anywhere they can imagine. Focusing on cities and suburbs won't do it, not for those buying the high-end EVs that are most of the new offerings. No one needs a city Hummer. Still, more is better, wherever they are.
I wondered what the point of the Bechtel alliance was too. It didn't make any sense since neither was planning to spend a dime of their own money. At least this story has GM finally opening up their wallet to help their customers with Fast Charging and not just their employee parking lots.
It does seem though that it's not targeting long distance travelers however,

"The underlying concept of the GM-EVgo tie-up is that General Motors wants to market its electric vehicles, like the GMC Hummer EV and Cadillac Lyriq, to people who rely on street parking. If that strategy works, it will represent a significant gain in the number of EV drivers who primarily rely on regular (even daily) fast charging.

Abuelsamid said that GM is preparing for this shift by designing the thermal management and chemistry of its future EVs to mitigate the damage from daily quick charging. He told me:

GM got a lot of useful data from the Bolts used in Maven Gig about the battery performance when fast charging and incorporated that into the design of the Ultium batteries."

I wouldn't discount locating them at grocery stores as not viable for long distance travelers as long as they are in suburban areas though. I recently used a V3 Supercharger at a grocery store in Hyannis, Ma. The spillage time from off ramp to plug in was 4 minutes. Not a real good example since Cape Cod isn't really an interstate corridor and more suburban on the entire island. But grocery stores if convenient to interstates are great. Just not confident that's where this will go reading between the lines.

"A GM press release claims that the new EVgo chargers will “triple the size of the nation’s largest public fast” and “unlock new EV customer segments.” But Sam Abuelsamid, principal analyst for e -Mobility at Guidehouse Insights, told me, “Compared to the Tesla Supercharger network, it’s still a relatively small amount.”
"The project, which will take five years to complete, is an effort to convince renters and condo dwellers that EVs are practical. The message is to fast-charge in a half-hour while you’re completing errands."

1 - 20 of 68 Posts