Chevy Bolt EV Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
78 Posts
Discussion Starter #1

What’s a manufacturer to do when their vehicle inventories swell and outpace sales, do they increase incentives to move more cars of suspend production in an effort to reduce inventories?

GM decided to take the latter route when Sonic sales dropped around 37% for the year to date. Unfortunately, that’s the same production plant where the new Chevy bolts are being built and its country wide rollout is still ongoing. This year, Chevy has delivered 7,592 Bolt EVs to eager customers in the U.S. and that number is expected to rise when the model is available in all 50 states by August.

But the production hiatus shouldn’t affect Bolt EV buyers as the model’s U.S. inventory has increased from 104 days to 111 days of stock last month, which is more than the 70 days of stock they were aiming for.

To put that into perspective, Paul Masse Chevrolet in East Providence, Rhode Island, is said to have more than 200 Bolts in stock and pricing for those cars range from $35,688 to $41,488. GM is expecting to see their inventory drop down to the double digits by the end of this year

Not only is the Orion plant taking a vacation, the production plants at Lordstown, Ohio and Kansas City, Missouri, will be seeing three mode weeks of inactivity. Even the assembly plant in Oshawa, Ontario, will be taking an extra two weeks of vacation.

·
Registered
355 Posts
This posted by a member of GM-Volt forum.
Bolt production capacity being increased to 1 sonic, 1 bolt mix (50/50 split)
Factory source says Bolt production capacity being Increased during shutdown

Quoting Don Lockrey

"I work at the factory. You’re article is wrong. We added an extra week for shutdown because of slowing sales of the sonic. I am assuming because of gas prices, as a 16k car isn’t as prized when gas is low. Another reason for the extra week was to complete bank systems and re do the assembly line to INCREASE Bolt production. The jobs are all set to produce bolts on a 2 Sonic, One Bolt mix. They are changing the mix to a 50/50 split which requires adjustments. For all the tesla fan boys, enjoy the squeaks rattles, fit an finish issues and recalls as your model 3 was crammed into a 5000 car a week schedule. Oh, you thought your waiting list to get your car was long? Wait till you have a service issue with no dealer network."

•Reply•Share ›

Steve Hanley Don Lockrey • 24 minutes ago
Thank you for sharing that insider perspective. Very useful information.

Above is from comments section on Cleantechnica article “Is General Motors Recreating The Saturn Disaster With The Chevy Bolt? (CleanTechnica Original) (7/19)

·
Registered
67 Posts
Thanks for the details about the production line changeover to a 50/50 Sonic/Bolt mix. Do you have any insight into why there is such a long wait for Bolts in Canada? I ordered mine in December and just took delivery this week. My dealer said he has received several other Bolt orders, but he is no longer permitted to sell 2017 models and is now taking orders for 2018 models, so it will be a very long wait for those new customers.

Seems like a bad sales decision to have 0 inventory and an 8 month wait in Canada, while the US has 111 days worth of inventory sitting on lots. What's the deal?

·
Registered
98 Posts
Thanks for the details about the production line changeover to a 50/50 Sonic/Bolt mix. Do you have any insight into why there is such a long wait for Bolts in Canada? I ordered mine in December and just took delivery this week. My dealer said he has received several other Bolt orders, but he is no longer permitted to sell 2017 models and is now taking orders for 2018 models, so it will be a very long wait for those new customers.

Seems like a bad sales decision to have 0 inventory and an 8 month wait in Canada, while the US has 111 days worth of inventory sitting on lots. What's the deal?
Unfortunately through my experience, given my Bolt ordering nightmare, I can only answer that simply as "Absolutely no shits given by GM towards their Canadian customers."

·
Registered
39 Posts
Unfortunately through my experience, given my Bolt ordering nightmare, I can only answer that simply as "Absolutely no shits given by GM towards their Canadian customers."
It's just horrible PR too. How much better does it sound for GM to say wow our Bolt is so popular it is sold out and that seems very possible to do if they just freaking shift around their inventory (which I know is costly and is I am sure the biggest hindrance). Tesla is taking every chance they can to tout the waiting list for the Model 3.

·
Registered
65 Posts
Yeah I've been following this story over the past couple weeks. I might have said this already, but originally with mine GM told the dealer it would be built the week of 7/24. Then GM was telling them they were going to build it during the last week of June for a while, then it got pushed back to this week again. Hopefully some time soon I'll be getting an email from my dealer with the VIN number so I can apply for an auto loan.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Production on Sonic/Bolt EV line at Orion Plant

I saw one article that said the production this past year was 300 vehicles a day. If that rate holds true after re-tooling and they go to a 50/50 split between Sonics and Bolt EVs, they should produce 150 Bolt EVs per day.

·
Registered
735 Posts
I saw one article that said the production this past year was 300 vehicles a day. If that rate holds true after re-tooling and they go to a 50/50 split between Sonics and Bolt EVs, they should produce 150 Bolt EVs per day.
I wish they had partnered up with another car maker when the Bolt was originally under development, that way it would give us as consumers a major advantage with getting these Bolts and parts for them. Seems like something Mazda would have been interested in.

·
Registered
1,486 Posts
Parts are a bit harder to come by but not impossible to acquire. I think someone here had their bumper replaced because of a large gash and it didn't take too long. Though I wouldn't say no to a mazda and chevy collaboration. Mazda cars drive pretty well, tack on the Chevy battery pack and you may have a Tesla contender in the performance department. At least in the lower range of their product line.

·
Registered
34 Posts
GM ambassador told me that my Bolt was manufactured on August 7, 2017 and is now awaiting delivery to the dealer. Only took them just over 7 months to make it. Likely had to wait for the water to dry out so they could harvest the lithium. It has been humid here.

·
Registered
4,654 Posts
You are assuming that the change in the split was so that they could produce more Bolts rather than fewer Sonics. If they produce fewer Sonics then they could still end up producing the same number of Bolts per day.

I'd love to see an increase in Bolt production, but I'll believe it when I see the actual numbers go up.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts