Chevy Bolt EV Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
791 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Despite the Bolt battery recall, seems like GM is all in on EVs:

General Motors will roll out details of an expanded and accelerated electric vehicle strategy on Thursday in an effort to convince investors it can be a serious competitor to Tesla, people familiar with the plans said.

GM Chief Executive Mary Barra, who is scheduled to speak at a conference hosted by Barclays, is expected to say the automaker is ready to spend more on electric models by 2025 than the $20 billion previously outlined, the sources said.

More here.

·
Registered
1,668 Posts
This is great news and what really makes it newsworthy IMO is it could be the tipping point where GM spends more developing their EV platform than their ICEV's.

From 2015-2019, GM spent $34.5 billion of which a small portion was for EV's. If she announces anything close to $30 billion, that would be amazing.

This follows VW's recent announcement of EUR 73 billion investment in electrification, hybrid powertrains and digital technology.
The ICE age is about to come to an end.

·
Registered
421 Posts
Great news. Obviously they can afford to replace our batteries as 500 mil is chump change in the grand scheme of things.

Reactions: MDBolt and ARob

·
Registered
622 Posts
Look out Elon, here comes Mary. Good news!! But if GM wants to compete with Tesla, they need to have a robust charging network (or access to one), a robust charging speed, and a long (350+) mile range. IMO, these three things are why people buy Teslas.

·
Registered
389 Posts
Look out Elon, here comes Mary. Good news!! But if GM wants to compete with Tesla, they need to have a robust charging network (or access to one), a robust charging speed, and a long (350+) mile range. IMO, these three things are why people buy Teslas.
And better Tech. The Bolt touchscreen is so outdated at this point.

·
Registered
47 Posts
And better Tech. The Bolt touchscreen is so outdated at this point.
That's a very subjective thing. Coming from a 2002 Camry, my 2017 Bolt is like time travel. Having never used a $1500 cell phone, I don't know that my old iPhone SE is outdated. Our 2019 Forester has full Eyesight which is awesome but it's the newest generation. From here on out, I predict almost every single year will be some vehicle that seems a leap ahead in some feature or another.

·
Registered
235 Posts
That's a very subjective thing. Coming from a 2002 Camry, my 2017 Bolt is like time travel. Having never used a $1500 cell phone, I don't know that my old iPhone SE is outdated. Our 2019 Forester has full Eyesight which is awesome but it's the newest generation. From here on out, I predict almost every single year will be some vehicle that seems a leap ahead in some feature or another.
I think it all depends. If you want your car to just be a car, then what GM does is fine. If you like tech and updates and your house runs everything through Wi-Fi and you already know what an Apple M1 chip is and its benchmarks then the updates that Tesla does are nice. I will say that car companies need to look at electrification as a way to rethink design. I"m kind of dismayed that GM won't do a frunk because for me the frunk and the "sub-trunk" in the Model 3 are something I never had in an ICE vehicle and are fantastic for storing small things (laptops, cameras, work documents) and small bags of groceries.

·
Registered
622 Posts
I"m kind of dismayed that GM won't do a frunk because for me the frunk and the "sub-trunk" in the Model 3 are something I never had in an ICE vehicle and are fantastic for storing small things (laptops, cameras, work documents) and small bags of groceries.
Well...you probably had a sub trunk in your ICE car but there was a spare tire down there😂

·
Registered
2019 Bolt & 2015 Spark EV
219 Posts
I"m kind of dismayed that GM won't do a frunk because for me the frunk and the "sub-trunk" in the Model 3 are something I never had in an ICE vehicle and are fantastic for storing small things (laptops, cameras
GM is doing a frunk in the Hummer EV. A properly designed frunk also makes for a better front crumple zone.

Reactions: shrox

·
Registered
2017 Premier, Arctic Blue - a week ago, Oct 2020
20 Posts
(The i3 frunk is susceptible to the weather, so not great for cameras, laptops, papers. Maybe an empty gas can(!) and a charging cable...)

·
Registered
389 Posts
in my case the touchscreen always has car play on it, so it gets updates all the time :)
Have you ever been in a Tesla? (other than the Carplay option which Tesla does not have)

Referring to the tech in the touchscreen. Capacitive touchscreen or whatever it is. It's a whole different playing field. Plus hundreds of options at your finger tips. Chevrolet is way behind in this regard is my point.

·
Registered
308 Posts
If you are referring to the poor performance of the Bolt touch screen, then yes Chevy should spend a couple more bucks and get ones that work more consistantly. If you are referring to actually using a touch screen, well, I think touch screens of any type aren't safe to use while driving and that all driving, HAVC and anything else the driver may want to use while driving should be physical. I'm pretty sure the Tesla obsession with them is mostly cost driven. Pay a bit more for the panel, but save assembly and manufacturing for everything else.

·
Registered
1,042 Posts
Yes, that's the trifecta that makes an EV able to replace your ICEV. GM has two out of three of those covered with Ultium. They are looking for third party networks to provide the network itself. It's coming along quite nicely, all things considered. It needs improvement for sure, but the basic network exists and the major players are constantly improving.

·
Registered
518 Posts
I"m kind of dismayed that GM won't do a frunk because for me the frunk and the "sub-trunk" in the Model 3 are something I never had in an ICE vehicle and are fantastic for storing small things (laptops, cameras, work documents) and small bags of groceries.
In the Bolt, the front end is very short, so there is not much room for a frunk, even with the EV motor and stuff being smaller than an ICE.

But GM has done a frunk when there is otherwise unused space in the front of the car. Granted, the particular car is not an EV, but reason why they would not put a frunk in a future EV that has a larger front end that would have otherwise unused space there.

·
Registered
1,518 Posts
I think it all depends. If you want your car to just be a car, then what GM does is fine. If you like tech and updates and your house runs everything through Wi-Fi and you already know what an Apple M1 chip is and its benchmarks then the updates that Tesla does are nice.
One might make the case that at present most buy a car qua car and not as a mobile video game/mobile device. That may change in the inevitable transition driverless cars. If one believes it is necessary to live in a major metro area, he'd be wanting a driverless car yesterday.

jack vines, who exited major metro a happy lifetime ago.

·
Registered
4,189 Posts
Hopefully, the EPA steps in soon and says, pick a test cycle. This using two different EPA testing cycles business is making it impossible for the average consumer to cross-shop EVs. I know (now) that a 259-mile range rating from GM means as much as a 300-mile range rating from Tesla, but the average consumer doesn't. We should have to rely on third parties to compensate for a "standardized" rating system.

Personally, I would rather all the automakers use the more conservative testing cycle, which will be easy to exceed in daily driving but still a bit optimistic for cold weather and freeway travel. To offset that optimism, the Highway/City ranges should be as prominent as the Combined range.

As for the robust charging network, because that is primarily driven by perceptions, and Tesla investors/owners/supporters are primarily driving those perceptions, it wouldn't matter whether GM owners had access to a superior charging infrastructure. The narrative would still be that any non-Tesla EV owner is at a disadvantage.

The public charging infrastructure is growing faster than the Supercharger Network. That much is clear. It is also currently the faster standard (CCS is currently 500 A @ 950 V versus Tesla's 631 A @ 500 V), but that's not the story being told by most EV media outlets. The story being told right now is that it's near impossible to find 150 kW chargers, let alone 350 kW chargers.

And in terms of charging speeds, that's another area where Tesla is being a bit deceptive, but almost no one is talking about it. Yes, yes, we know that the Model 3 will charge at 250 kW or "1,000 mi/hr," but what is rarely explained to prospective buyers is, that's only true at V3 Supercharger sites (which are still less plentiful than 350 kW CCS sites) and when your car is below 20% battery.

It remains to be seen whether most automakers follow Tesla's charging taper or Audi's flat charging profile. I prefer the latter for a myriad of reasons, but primarily because it is superior in all cases other than arriving with less than 20% battery. The Tesla Model 3 averages 128 kW from 5% to 80%. The Audi e-tron averages 150+ kW from 5% to 80%. I'd rather have the latter. It's better for the way most people travel. It's an easier learning curve. But most non-EV owners don't know what they don't know, so they might be fooled by promises of the fastest peak charging speeds.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts