Chevy Bolt EV Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So we all know the fact that the Bolt will be out in the market before the Tesla will.

However, do you think that this will be a big advantage for the Bolt?

Seems like there's a controversy regarding the name of the car... with it's current Volt and coming Bolt - will buyers really get those confused. Minus the name rhyming, I personally don't see how that can get caught up in confusion.

According to a report from USA Today, Dan Nicholson, GM's vice president of global propulsion systems, said, "I am very proud of the Chevrolet Bolt that's coming out, which will be the first to market as a long-range affordable battery electric vehicle."

"It will have more than 200 miles of range and it will be in production by the end of 2016, so it's not necessary to put down $1,000 and wait until 2018 or sometime after that," Nicholson reportedly said at an engineering conference in Detroit.

Related Link: Detroit News Auto Critic: Tesla Model 3 Is 'The Auto Story Of The 21st Century'

Tesla recorded 325,000 preorders for Model 3, implying future revenues of about $14 billion. A customer needs to deposit $1000 for making a reservation.

Tesla CEO Elon Musk says the company will start delivery of the Model 3 to customers in late 2017.

The USA Today report said "Tesla is burning through $400 million of cash each quarter and may need to borrow money or raise capital to produce the Model 3."

"GM's balance sheet is in pretty strong shape, so we don't need to take $1,000 of your money just to hold a spot," Nicholson said.

GM's Chevy Bolt could cost about $37,000, while Tesla's Model 3 will be priced at $35,000. Both cars are expected to fiercely compete in the affordable electric car segment.

·
Registered
1,486 Posts
Can't really imagine anyone getting confused between the Bolt and Volt. Yea GM, we know the Bolt is coming first, they don't need to keep repeating that point and people who put down a deposit for the Tesla probably know that there's a high chance for product delay.

If GM's balance sheet is in strong shape, why not use some of their money to build their own supercharging network? One of Tesla's perks is access to their supercharging network.

·
Registered
263 Posts
It's kind of an advantage to Bolt depending on the buyer. There are those die hard Tesla fans who are willing to wait for years and then there are those who aren't willing to wait and would go for the Bolt first, or at least lease one before the Model 3 hits the market. So Chevy will get a large portion of the initial long range EV sales.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Having a product available to the consumer first is definitely an advantage for Chevy. However; in my opinion, infrastructure is very important and Tesla has this covered. I would like to use an EV as my primary vehicle and with Tesla I can easily do this by taking advantage of their supercharging network. I frequently take trips to visit family/relatives who live more than 80 miles away (one way). So if I wanted to go from coast to coast, etc., I would be able to. If Chevy built a similar infrastructure, I believe this would potentially increase Bolt sales significantly.

·
Registered
263 Posts
Sure Tesla has the supercharger network but you'll still have to wait 2+ years to make use of it if not longer. May as well lease a Bolt while you wait. Is this a good long term move on GM's part? Only time will tell but they made the smart move to come out with the Bolt first.

·
Registered
31 Posts
No real news here - someone found the Bolt on a production schedule PDF. They quickly erased it - why? Seems like that would show confidence in the production team.

http://www.hybridcars.com/gm-document-says-2017-chevy-bolt-production-starts-in-october/

“While distribution plans are not yet finalized, we want to first satisfy demand in markets where EV acceptance is strongest,” Ligouri said.

Market-speak interpretation - California will be first - ugh...

Also - a countdown clock!

https://countingdownto.com/countdown/chevy-bolt-countdown-clock

·
Registered
3 Posts
First to market for GM will be a huge deal. First to market for Tesla would be not so much.
GM is selling cars. Tesla is selling futures. Both are good for the EV industry, but if GM were second to market I'd be worried they'd slip toward sidelining their EV effort the way Toyota, VW, Honda, Hyundai, etc all do.

·
Registered
786 Posts
I laugh at all the comments about the "competition between the GM/Chevy Bolt EV and the TM Model 3". There isn't any!

GM admits that the Chevy Volt began as an alternative to the TM Roadster (there is a 2009 red Roaster here and I have pictures of it), but the new Bolt EV has nothing to do with what TM is doing. The Bolt EV is considered as a "replacement" to the Korean-built Spark EV, and it is a much better vehicle. GM surprised the market in January 2015 what they publically presented the concept Bolt, and in one year have pre-production Bolts running around the nation (many auto magazine took test drives in them and loved them). We have seen the production line started up, and now we wait for the ordering page to come up online and see the options that the production Bolt EV will offer.

TM presented their concept Model 3 in April 2016, and admit it isn't "complete", yet they accept over 400,000 "reservations (at $1,000 each) for future orders. GM doesn't need "reservations" because it puts its own mone to design, setup, and produce their models, so when the ordering page is up, then we can watch how the first orders come in. The Bolt EV is ahead of the process schedule, and its final production start date is predicted to begin October 1st. That date may be delayed, but I predict that the first deliveries will be in November, and the first auto mag reviews will be in November or December. Some dealers will have Bolt EV models on their lots before the end of the year so the first buyers can get the Federal tax rebate.

So the first delivered 2017 Chevy Bolt EV is less than six months away!

·
Registered
786 Posts
Sure Tesla has the supercharger network but you'll still have to wait 2+ years to make use of it if not longer. May as well lease a Bolt while you wait. Is this a good long term move on GM's part? Only time will tell but they made the smart move to come out with the Bolt first.
The mayority of Bolt EV owners will not need or use any remote chargers. Most will just recharge overnight with a Level 2 EVSE in the safety of their home garages or carports (I am ready with my own EVSE). I see those who want to use a "supercharger" as a continuation of the 120-year idiocracy of the gas station. EVs are supposed to make us independent!;)

·
Registered
639 Posts
Indeed, it's too easy to charge over night and the commutes most do can be done with that overnight charge. I know a lot of people that get through the day without ever having to charge on the go.

·
Registered
263 Posts
Curious as to why the Bolt production date was removed from the schedule unless Chevy was falling a bit behind for regular production.Fred Ligouri of Chevrolet communications says the production date is still going to be in the fourth quarter of this year but we could be waiting until after October.

·
Registered
1,486 Posts
That's too bad, was hoping Lyft would get the Bolts first so they can be the beta testers instead of future Bolt owners. With a fleet of them driving around all day every day, chevy would be able to gather data and fix any problems that are found before the average buyers gets their hands on one.

·
Registered
263 Posts
That's what the factory warranty is for, so everything is covered unless it was caused by driver's error. Just hope they don't have any big problems that takes more than one trip to the dealership to fix. I've read on other forums where the car spent more time at the dealership than on roads.

·
Registered
1,486 Posts
At least the first Bolt EVs are most likely to go to California since they account for around 40% of U.S. electric-car sales. They'll be the ones reporting problems to chevy before everyone else gets them. With production set to start in October, I'm hoping to see one in my local dealership near Christmas.

·
Registered
7 Posts
One advantage to being first to market with a 200+ mile range, electric car is being the first available in the used 200+ mile range, electric car market.

Not everyone wants, or can afford, a new car.

I am guessing the first electric car teenagers get will be a used electric car. Some of them may be future, new car, buyers.

People, on fixed incomes, might opt for a used electric car.

There may be other reasons people opt for a used car instead of a new car.
These reasons are hopefully valid be the car a gas car or an electric car.

I don't know what advantages a robust used car market might bring car manufactures. I hope there are some advantages.

·
Registered
1,486 Posts
There was an article about how many used leafs and volts are just sitting on dealership lots and I think it was because of the low range. The problem shouldn't arise with a used Bolt, at least not for a while since there won't be many EVs coming out soon with a 200+ mile range. Even used, a 200 is still great for the next 2-3 years.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts