Chevy Bolt EV Forum banner

21 - 23 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
689 Posts
That's fair, but keep in mind that the Ultium batteries are actually cheaper to produce than the Bolt EV's battery pack, and they are not exclusive to the BEV3 platform (i.e., they can be used in an EV built on the BEV2 platform).
Interesting. I admit, I have been conflating the two, assuming that BEV3 <=> Ultium.

So, in your opinion, do you think that the 2022 Bolt EV refresh will use Ultium batteries? I suspect whatever they go with will be the path for a few years. GM, unlike Tesla, commits to a platform for a few years at a time with minimal changes.

·
Registered
2,382 Posts
Interesting. I admit, I have been conflating the two, assuming that BEV3 <=> Ultium.

So, in your opinion, do you think that the 2022 Bolt EV refresh will use Ultium batteries? I suspect whatever they go with will be the path for a few years. GM, unlike Tesla, commits to a platform for a few years at a time with minimal changes.
No, I think the 2022 Bolt EV will still use it's current battery design (just as the Bolt EUV), but those two were being designed more than a year ago. The only real question is battery cell chemistry and internal pack configurations. I'd like to see both with 75+ kWh packs with 125 to 150 kW charging, but we'll have to see.

Otherwise, any new GM EV designs are likely to be built around the Ultium battery, whether they be BEV2, BEV3, or BT1 (the Hummer EV chassis designation).

·
Registered
689 Posts
I personally think that 125+kW charging is overly optimistic. I'm hoping for 75kWh batteries, with an upgrade to the CCS port/wiring to support 200A charging. That's just over 70kW, which is about 1C rate. Giving how conservative GM has been with BEV2, I don't expect more than that.

I would certainly prefer to see faster charging but frankly 75kWh / 70kW charging would be more than enough for me to dump the PHEV and go Bolt EV + Bolt EUV (currently I drive a Bolt and my wife drives a CMax Energi PHEV).

21 - 23 of 23 Posts