1 - 20 of 502 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·

·
Registered
1,504 Posts
From the verbiage currently there, I'm not 100% sure that GM has confirmed or not that Vermont and NJ fires had the "final remedy" installed:
One of the fires occurred while the vehicle was charging at the home of a a Vermont state lawmaker earlier this month. The other fire happened in New Jersey, a spokesman for GM said, adding that it was notified about it earlier this week.

“General Motors has been notified of two recent Chevrolet Bolt EV fire incidents in vehicles that were remedied as part of the safety recall announced in November 2020,” the company said in an emailed statement. “Out of an abundance of caution, we are asking owners of 2017-2019 Chevrolet Bolt EVs who were part of the recall population to park their vehicles outdoors immediately after charging and not leave their vehicles charging overnight while we investigate these incidents.”

Customers who have not had the repair completed should still visit their dealer for the recall while our investigation continues, according to the automaker.
From looking at https://static.nhtsa.gov/odi/rcl/2020/RCMN-20V701-9157.pdf, it looks like the '19 model year final remedy came out around April 29, 2021 then from https://static.nhtsa.gov/odi/rcl/2020/RCMN-20V701-8248.pdf, the one covering '17 and '18 came out May 26, 2021.

These are all from the 35 (currently) associated docs at 2017 CHEVROLET BOLT 4 DR FWD | NHTSA.

·
Registered
341 Posts
After the latest fire from a "fixed" recalled vehicle, GM made the following announcement :

Well, it bought back my car--one of the recalled '19Bolts, on June 16th, and I'm now driving a '22 EUV. Glad I made that decision.

·
Registered
67 Posts
“Out of an abundance of caution, we are asking owners of 2017-2019 Chevrolet Bolt EVs who were part of the recall population to park their vehicles outdoors immediately after charging and not leave their vehicles charging overnight while we investigate these incidents.”

Great. I called my electric utility company and switched to time-of-use metering within months of buying my Bolt in 2019, which means I ONLY charge overnight. Now what do I do? This warning from GM does not fill me with confidence.

I have not been overly alarmed about the battery-recall situation until very recently. I went to my dealer and had both of the recall software fixes done on my 2019 LT, which I bought new in October 2019. Now, suddenly, I feel somewhat activated to press GM for a buyback, or at least a battery replacement. (I doubt my chances for success, since I suspect Virginia's lemon laws won't support a buyback.)

Is anyone else newly alarmed?

·
Registered
67 Posts
From the verbiage currently there, I'm not 100% sure that GM has confirmed or not that Vermont and NJ fires had the "final remedy" installed:
I recall from a thread elsewhere on this board that a neighbor of the Vermont legislator reported that he heard the warning beeps associated with the second software fix, just before the fire broke out. Do I have that right?

Frankly, that's the situation that has me more alarmed. I assume the state legislator would have no particular reason to dissemble about details of his fire.

·
Registered
1,504 Posts
Learn About currently has this verbiage:
JULY 14 2021 IMPORTANT UPDATE FROM GENERAL MOTORS
General Motors has been notified of two recent Chevrolet Bolt EV fire incidents in vehicles that were remedied as part of the safety recall announced in November 2020.
Since this is straight from the horse's mouth (and not news media), perhaps this indicates the final remedy was installed on both of them?

·
Registered
67 Posts
Since this is straight from the horse's mouth (and not news media), perhaps this indicates the final remedy was installed on both of them?
That’s what it looks like to me.

I plan to call that Chevrolet EV concierge number (1-833-EVCHEVY) tomorrow and express my deep nervousness, and push them for a buyback.

·
Registered
66 Posts
That’s what it looks like to me.

I plan to call that Chevrolet EV concierge number (1-833-EVCHEVY) tomorrow and express my deep nervousness, and push them for a buyback.
There were TWO fires after the final recall SW update? Someone have a link to the NJ fire: "The other fire happened in New Jersey, a spokesman for GM said, adding that it was notified about it earlier this week."

·
Registered
13 Posts
If that’s really the case I plan to do the same. Too many things to worry about already. My car should be one of them :)

·
Registered
14 Posts
That's not good. Hopefully they just start replacing battery packs and be done with it.

What do you think they'll do for anyone who bought a Bolt used?

·
Registered
437 Posts
Great. I called my electric utility company and switched to time-of-use metering within months of buying my Bolt in 2019, which means I ONLY charge overnight. Now what do I do?
Can you charge on the outside of your garage door?
That is what I am doing now. Slip the charge cord under the door (and use a piece of wood to make sure the cord isn't pinched).
Of course, that will only work if your EVSE is close to the garage door.
There are extension cord options also (J1772 or NEMA 14-50, etc..) that might work...

·
Registered
67 Posts
Can you charge on the outside of your garage door?
That is what I am doing now. Slip the charge cord under the door (and use a piece of wood to make sure the cord isn't pinched).
Of course, that will only work if your EVSE is close to the garage door.
There are extension cord options also (J1772 or NEMA 14-50, etc..) that might work...
Oh, I’ve got my EVSE on the outside of my house, immediately next to my driveway. I don’t have a garage.

However, when I charge, it either happens immediately adjacent to my house or less than four feet away from my wife’s Prius Prime PHEV, also in our driveway. I want neither my wife’s car nor my house to catch fire just because I’m charging my Bolt overnight.

Now I’m starting to be a little concerned that 1-833-EVCHEVY is going to be overwhelmed tomorrow! :LOL:

·
Registered
8 Posts
I recall from a thread elsewhere on this board that a neighbor of the Vermont legislator reported that he heard the warning beeps associated with the second software fix, just before the fire broke out. Do I have that right?

Frankly, that's the situation that has me more alarmed. I assume the state legislator would have no particular reason to dissemble about details of his fire.
Very Alarmed

I need to charge over night. During ther day does not wortk for me

·
Registered
122 Posts
GM should just re-use the old SNL Happy Fun Ball skit, just substitute "Bolt EV" where appropriate.

Yes, it’s Happy Fun Ball! The toy sensation that’s sweeping the nation! Only $14.95 at participating stores! Get one today!
Warning: Pregnant women, the elderly, and children under 10 should avoid prolonged exposure to Happy Fun Ball.
Caution: Happy Fun Ball may suddenly accelerate to dangerous speeds.
Happy Fun Ball contains a liquid core, which, if exposed due to rupture, should not be touched, inhaled, or looked at.
Do not use Happy Fun Ball on concrete.
Discontinue use of Happy Fun Ball if any of the following occurs:
  • itching
  • vertigo
  • dizziness
  • tingling in extremities
  • loss of balance or coordination
  • slurred speech
  • temporary blindness
  • profuse sweating
  • heart palpitations.
If Happy Fun Ball begins to smoke, get away immediately. Seek shelter and cover head.
Happy Fun Ball may stick to certain types of skin.
When not in use, Happy Fun Ball should be returned to its special containerand kept under refrigeration. Failure to do so relieves the makers of HappyFun Ball, Wacky Products Incorporated, and its parent company, GlobalChemical Unlimited, of any and all liability.
Ingredients of Happy Fun Ball include an unknown glowing green substance which fell to Earth, presumably from outer space.
Happy Fun Ball has been shipped to our troops in Saudi Arabia and is being dropped by our warplanes on Iraq.
Do not taunt Happy Fun Ball.
Happy Fun Ball comes with a lifetime warranty.
Happy Fun Ball! Accept no substitutes!

1 - 20 of 502 Posts