Chevy Bolt EV Forum banner
341 - 360 of 501 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
There were TWO fires after the final recall SW update? Someone have a link to the NJ fire: "The other fire happened in New Jersey, a spokesman for GM said, adding that it was notified about it earlier this week."
Seattlite - I'm across the water from you on Bainbridge Island. How are OUR WA lemon laws as they might apply to our Bolts? Is the right ask for a new battery or a new Bolt?

·
Registered
7 Posts
I have not been overly alarmed about the battery-recall situation until very recently. I went to my dealer and had both of the recall software fixes done on my 2019 LT, which I bought new in October 2019. Now, suddenly, I feel somewhat activated to press GM for a buyback, or at least a battery replacement. (I doubt my chances for success, since I suspect Virginia's lemon laws won't support a buyback.)

Is anyone else newly alarmed?
yes - this is VERY alarming.

·
Registered
23 Posts
After the latest fire from a "fixed" recalled vehicle, GM made the following announcement :

My wife and I own a 2020 Bolt. In reporting Bolt fires, it seems necessary to include that the affected Bolts are 2017-2019, but the headlines and leads often do not include that info.
When asked questions about the car people often bring up - "those are the ones that catch fire," and I quickly disabused them of the idea that all Bolts are fire hazards.
In talking with others about EVs, and in particular Bolts, I've noticed a real lack of knowledge concerning EVs. The Chevy print magazine we've been receiving spent a good deal of the recent issue dispelling consumer EV misinformation. Let's hope this forum and the news media can make clear the problem per Bolts and support the upside of owning an EV.
After the latest fire from a "fixed" recalled vehicle, GM made the following announcement :

·
Registered
15 Posts
I bought a new 2021 Bolt in May with the understanding that these issues have been addressed and fixed. Should I be concerned?

·
Registered
7 Posts
From the verbiage currently there, I'm not 100% sure that GM has confirmed or not that Vermont and NJ fires had the "final remedy" installed:

From looking at https://static.nhtsa.gov/odi/rcl/2020/RCMN-20V701-9157.pdf, it looks like the '19 model year final remedy came out around April 29, 2021 then from https://static.nhtsa.gov/odi/rcl/2020/RCMN-20V701-8248.pdf, the one covering '17 and '18 came out May 26, 2021.

These are all from the 35 (currently) associated docs at 2017 CHEVROLET BOLT 4 DR FWD | NHTSA.
iirc when i read these articles, and supposing they are factually valid, they did NOT have the updates applied. but...

·
Registered
1,503 Posts
iirc when i read these articles, and supposing they are factually valid, they did NOT have the updates applied. but...
It seems the two recent fires (in NJ and VT) involved cars that had the final remedy applied per Consumer Alert: Important Chevrolet Bolt Recall for Fire Risk. Learn About seems to imply that, as well.

They are also listed as part of July 2021 at List of known Chevy Bolt Fires – All EV Info. I believe Telek has confirmed w/the drivers and/or GM that the final remedy was applied to those two.

·
Registered
1,963 Posts
I smell "OCD" ...

·
Registered
1,958 Posts
I smell "OCD" ...
As per Wikipedia,

Obsessive–compulsive disorder (OCD) is a mental and behavioral disorder in which a person has certain thoughts repeatedly and/or feels the need to perform certain routines repeatedly (called "compulsions") to an extent that generates distress or impairs general functioning. The person is unable to control either the thoughts or activities for more than a short period of time. Common compulsions include excessive hand washing, the counting of things, and checking to see if a door is locked. These activities occur to such a degree that the person's daily life is negatively affected, often taking up more than an hour a day. Most adults realize that the behaviors do not make sense. The condition is associated with tics, anxiety disorder, and an increased risk of suicide.

It may be my desire not to see the term OCD misused to describe people who are organized, finicky, particular, or fastidious as a sign that I am pedantic or exacting. I'd note that with so many good words in English to describe character traits, we don't need to overwork and trivialize a psychological term that refers to a debilitating mental illness.

See also this poem (and the parent comment).

·
Registered
7 Posts

chevrolet needs to use the 'scientific method' to get to the bottom of this problem. the exact cause can be determined by this effort. it might very well be that environmental conditions are a significant factor in the fires. for example, charging in a small garage with no air circulation.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Well, it bought back my car--one of the recalled '19Bolts, on June 16th, and I'm now driving a '22 EUV. Glad I made that decision.
What did you have to do to get them to buy back your car? Since having the "final remedy" installed on May 11 my 2019 LT continues charging or trying to charge for several hours after the instrument panel and dashboard light indicate that the battery is fully charged. When I called GM's EV hotline on July 1 I was advised to bring the car back to the dealer who'd performed the recall service. However, when I showed up for the appointment on July 7 I was so put off by the dealer's attitude that I backed out and called GM again. This time they opened a formal case, which was promptly referred to the department that deals exclusively with California cases, and the following day the "senior advisor" who'd been assigned to the case called, saying that she would contact the dealer and get back to me. I heard back from her the following Tuesday, July 13, when she promised that she would schedule an appointment with a different dealer.
As of now - Wednesday evening July 21 - that was the last time I was given an opportunity to discuss the matter with her or anyone else. I've left several messages, both on her personal voicemail and with the switchboard, who promised - several times now - that I would be called back within 24 hours. In the meantime, the news about the post-recall service Bolts that have caught fire has come out and both GM and the NHTSA have warned against parking indoors or charging overnight.

·
Registered
4,951 Posts
Should GM buy one car fire blanket for every Bolt? If we have the car covered when it's in the garage, we should have limited damage if it were to catch on fire.

·
Registered
60 Posts
If that’s really the case I plan to do the same. Too many things to worry about already. My car should be one of them :)
That's not good. Hopefully they just start replacing battery packs and be done with it.

What do you think they'll do for anyone who bought a Bolt used?
I bought my 2017 Bolt used from Shift.com last April. I don't know what Chevrolet will say about that. The power train battery has an 8-year warranty that moves along with any subsequent owners, so I understand-- maybe we can ask for newer power train batteries, the ones that are not having this problem?

·
Registered
60 Posts
GM should just re-use the old SNL Happy Fun Ball skit, just substitute "Bolt EV" where appropriate.

Yes, it’s Happy Fun Ball! The toy sensation that’s sweeping the nation! Only $14.95 at participating stores! Get one today!
Warning: Pregnant women, the elderly, and children under 10 should avoid prolonged exposure to Happy Fun Ball.
Caution: Happy Fun Ball may suddenly accelerate to dangerous speeds.
Happy Fun Ball contains a liquid core, which, if exposed due to rupture, should not be touched, inhaled, or looked at.
Do not use Happy Fun Ball on concrete.
Discontinue use of Happy Fun Ball if any of the following occurs:
  • itching
  • vertigo
  • dizziness
  • tingling in extremities
  • loss of balance or coordination
  • slurred speech
  • temporary blindness
  • profuse sweating
  • heart palpitations.
If Happy Fun Ball begins to smoke, get away immediately. Seek shelter and cover head.
Happy Fun Ball may stick to certain types of skin.
When not in use, Happy Fun Ball should be returned to its special containerand kept under refrigeration. Failure to do so relieves the makers of HappyFun Ball, Wacky Products Incorporated, and its parent company, GlobalChemical Unlimited, of any and all liability.
Ingredients of Happy Fun Ball include an unknown glowing green substance which fell to Earth, presumably from outer space.
Happy Fun Ball has been shipped to our troops in Saudi Arabia and is being dropped by our warplanes on Iraq.
Do not taunt Happy Fun Ball.
Happy Fun Ball comes with a lifetime warranty.
Happy Fun Ball! Accept no substitutes!
..hmmm... methinks we should add the following to that list: 1. Anaphylactic shock; 2. Blood clots; 3. Myocarditis; 4. Paralysis; 5. Abnormal periods and 6. miscarriage...only time will tell if anything got left out...

·
Registered
60 Posts
This situation has gone from sad to heart-breaking. Before the fire issue popped up the Bolt was one of the most trouble-free EVs out there. The infrequent need for service was something to brag about. Especially against Tesla. Now with a caution to not charge the car over night, AT ALL, it's the reverse. Neighbors of Bolt owners, unclear which years are affected, will be replacing the batteries in their smoke alarms, taking their children off the streets, and holding neighborhood meetings about that family with the Bolt.

Sad.
We've got 3 of 'em on my street (includes me and my 2017) and a Spark...

·
Registered
275 Posts
This is/was GMs Big Chance to rid itself of the ghost of the EV1. It's one thing to cap the charge of the battery and lose some range while the company worked the problem. But at some point you have to bite the bullet and acknowledge that the software patches are not solving the issue. We are now at, and beyond that point. This is where GM -at the first sign the final solution was not working- could have snatched victory from the jaws of defeat by recalling all affected Bolts for a battery pack replacement. Full stop. Round up all the affected Bolts PDQ and issue loaners until the work could be completed on each car.

Expensive? Yes. But couldn't the bulk of the financial responsibility be placed on LG? I have always referred to the Bolt as not a GM product, but rather an LGM product. LG supplied the battery and supporting electronics. GM is on the hook to its customers, and LG is on the hook to GM. These lemons could have been made into lemonade in a PR coup if Mary Barra had the balls to put her money where her mouth is.

But noooo. Instead we get scenarios like the Electrek story below. Instead the company commits yet another PR blunder that will eclipse the missteps with the EV1. Instead GM hammers yet another nail into its coffin. It is a shame that the company who over the decades put more effort than any other automaker into bringing a workable EV to market (until Tesla came along), may not live long enough to see the fruits of its labors due to the bad choices of a few bean counters and execs.

Reactions: This is fine.
341 - 360 of 501 Posts