Chevy Bolt EV Forum banner

41 - 60 of 60 Posts

·
Registered
1,218 Posts
The press release was in October of last year, so we still have about five months left before that 18 months is up. Also, I think the time frame is referring to when they will officially announce that the vehicles (not when they will be available for purchase). My guess is, we will see them unveiled at CES next year.
I speculate the timing of the eCOMO advent is not accidental; it is probably intended to create some media buzz, bringing attention to the two "EVeryman cars" that are about to be revealed. I imagine we should soon be seeing some blurry paparazzi pix of the Mr. Bolt Jr, or maybe nothing until CES. Not sure what the situation is with GM's China effort.

·
Registered
1,865 Posts
I speculate the timing of the eCOMO advent is not accidental; it is probably intended to create some media buzz, bringing attention to the two "EVeryman cars" that are about to be revealed. I imagine we should soon be seeing some blurry paparazzi pix of the Mr. Bolt Jr, or maybe nothing until CES. Not sure what the situation is with GM's China effort.
Last I heard, the batteries supplied by GM's Chinese partner failed to pass muster. We might see updates at either the LA Auto Show or CES, but after rereading Mary Barra's Barclay's presentation from last year, they are calling the upcoming EVs 2020 models.

·
Registered
2,388 Posts
Last I heard, the batteries supplied by GM's Chinese partner failed to pass muster. We might see updates at either the LA Auto Show or CES, but after rereading Mary Barra's Barclay's presentation from last year, they are calling the upcoming EVs 2020 models.

I'm floored that in 2018, the Chinese are *still* having QC issues. Unbelievable!

·
Registered
3,794 Posts
I'm floored that in 2018, the Chinese are *still* having QC issues. Unbelievable!
Not as unbelievable as LG having QC problems. The Kona EV is having teething delays, as is the i-Pace, and the Audi e-tron. But, of course, VW is right on schedule with...never mind.

·
Super Moderator
2,552 Posts
It looks exactly like a Bolt, but with a Toyota angry grille grafted on.

https://www.hendrickhonda.com/inventoryphotos/2597/4t1bz1hk7ju001372/ip/2.jpg
I have never been a fan of this design concept. It's clunky and gimmicky. I don't think that whatever GM does reveal will look much like this. At least I hope not. What Tesla has shown if nothing else is, people respond well to classic, balanced, cohesive design, much more than pile it on thick trendy gimmick design.

·
Super Moderator
2,552 Posts
Not as unbelievable as LG having QC problems. The Kona EV is having teething delays, as is the i-Pace, and the Audi e-tron. But, of course, VW is right on schedule with...never mind.
Well, to be fair, everyone is competing to advance an immature technology as fast as possible, so there is bound to be failure.

·
Super Moderator
2,030 Posts

·
Registered
685 Posts
Still waiting on the 20 EV's.
chill dude, 2 down 18 to go. Last time I checked it was still April of 2019 and not yet 2023, are you that far ahead of me in the time-space continuum?

But seriously yes, we all enjoy our GM EV's so much that we are anxiously awaiting the next GM US offerings, I don't personally care much what they introduce in China, meanwhile....we are all watching Tesla skimming the treetops and hoping they can gain some altitude, they have contributed significantly to the EV party, the more participants the better

·
Registered
685 Posts
Which two?
Buick Velite 6 EV and Baojun E200 , both in China :-(

If you reread the PR it says "based on learnings from the Bolt" I and many others interpreted that to be "based on the Bolt" as the image leaks of the presumed Buick EV had circulated so it all seemed to fit.

Could still be a Buick EV announced tomorrow that matches the image, I hope so but I have no idea...

·
Registered
176 Posts
Buick Velite 6 EV and Baojun E200 , both in China :-(
I knew that and posted it last month here. I just wondered if anyone else did. Good on you for knowing.

If you reread the PR it says "based on learnings from the Bolt" I and many others interpreted that to be "based on the Bolt" as the image leaks of the presumed Buick EV had circulated so it all seemed to fit.
Many thought GM meant 2 in 18 months for North America. I give a hang what GM produces that I can't buy. Mary can do those press releases in Mandarin and I'll be fine with it.

Could still be a Buick EV announced tomorrow that matches the image, I hope so but I have no idea...
Monkeys could fly out of my butt tomorrow. But don't hold your breath. Mary's latest PR spin job could be her weakest yet.

·
Registered
3,794 Posts
Being a legacy car maker has its challenges. Your customers are demonstrating, daily, that they want the biggest, least efficient vehicle the bank will give them a loan for, while you see a coming perfect storm of recession, oil supply instability, and climate action sure to wreck your business model.

·
Registered
73 Posts
I certainly hope that people like shopping centers and rest areas on highways will soon have their own, non-network DC stations. I can't see why even a 50A station with a card reader, when more or less mass-produced, should cost $30K, as someone mentioned in the Chargepoint thread on this forum. It's more like $2K, including the card reader or a money-swallower...

No way. EMW used to offer a 10kW charger kit for EVs. I made one about 7 years ago and am still using it. The kit was priced barely above the cost of the parts from Digikey (couldn't get the high power inductor cores there) and it cost $2k. Chinese companies sell 5kW EV chargers for around $2k. Sure that price could be reduced by volume purchases, but not by a factor of 5, which is what you would need to get the typical 50kW (100 A) charger cost down to $2k. Besides, installation cost is a major factor. The utilities companies charge a fortune to provide high power lines, then there's concrete pad, hook up by licensed electricians...

·
Registered
1,218 Posts
No way. EMW used to offer a 10kW charger kit for EVs. I made one about 7 years ago and am still using it. The kit was priced barely above the cost of the parts from Digikey (couldn't get the high power inductor cores there) and it cost $2k. Chinese companies sell 5kW EV chargers for around $2k. Sure that price could be reduced by volume purchases, but not by a factor of 5, which is what you would need to get the typical 50kW (100 A) charger cost down to $2k. Besides, installation cost is a major factor. The utilities companies charge a fortune to provide high power lines, then there's concrete pad, hook up by licensed electricians...

I have a strong belief in the power of innovation and free market to reduce prices through improvements to manufacturing. Some 90% price reduction when a specialty product becomes commodity is not unusual and should probably be expected.

The installation costs can be high, true, but I imagine most large public buildings will have 480V service already, for their HVAC needs if nothing else.

·
Registered
1,055 Posts
GM EV truck news

https://insideevs.com/news/347293/electric-pickup-truck-chevy-gmc/

"General Motors CEO Mary Barra has just confirmed that the automaker is indeed readying an electric pickup truck to compete with the likes of the electric Ford F-150 and Rivian R1T.

As Barra stated, electric "full-size pickups" are indeed in the future plans for the automaker. No further details were provided. Therefore, we don't even know if the electric truck will be a Chevrolet, GMC or other make. It's all up in the air at the moment, aside from full confirmation that an electric truck is in the works."

·
Registered
176 Posts
As Barra stated, electric "full-size pickups" are indeed in the future plans for the automaker. No further details were provided. Therefore, we don't even know if the electric truck will be a Chevrolet, GMC or other make. It's all up in the air at the moment, aside from full confirmation that an electric truck is in the works."
Full confirmation of talk about it.

.....confirmed that the automaker is indeed readying an electric pickup truck.....
How we put our wishes into words - "indeed readying". Makes it sound like it just needs a little polish on the paint.

·
Registered
176 Posts
Rivian, who actually has a mid-sized concept truck to show us says:

Rivian said:
Preorders require a deposit of $1,000. Production will begin in 2020. Fully-equipped vehicles with the highest performance level and largest battery pack will enter production first. Our 180 kWh and 135 kWh packs will be available at launch, with the base variant to follow within 12 months of the start of production.
I'm pulling for them big time but I have to look at this and wonder where I've seen this already.

This is the closest to "in the works" we've seen since the VIA and Workhorse disappeared. Also note:

Rivian said:
Starting price of $69,000 before the Federal Tax rebate.
For the price of a Jaguar I-Pace........

41 - 60 of 60 Posts