Chevy Bolt EV Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm dumb and badly damaged my stock charging cable after less than a week. No one at my dealership knows if the charging cable is covered under the XS Wear Lease Protection plan (including the Director of Finance who claimed that he helped re-write the plan himself). Has anyone tried to replace their cable under the XS Wear Lease Protection Plan?
Thanks!

·
Registered
1,569 Posts
I'm dumb and badly damaged my stock charging cable after less than a week. No one at my dealership knows if the charging cable is covered under the XS Wear Lease Protection plan (including the Director of Finance who claimed that he helped re-write the plan himself). Has anyone tried to replace their cable under the XS Wear Lease Protection Plan?
Thanks!
What’s wrong with the cable? Is it physically damaged or just not working?

·
Registered
3,777 Posts
I can't speak to the terms of the insurance you have, but I recommend speaking to a representative of that plan to get the answer.

If it's just the cable or plug that's damaged, they are relatively cheap to replace. Ebay is one place to shop for heads or cables if it turns out yours isn't covered by insurance.

Even though these are dead simple to work on, if you aren't comfortable, there are places that would do the work for you like EVSE Upgrade.

Finally, you could use this as an opportunity to install a 3rd party EVSE with upgraded functionality. It will be cheaper and better than the supplied EVSE.

·
Registered
3,777 Posts
Seems prices have gone up a bit since I looked a couple years ago.

Here's a cable and head for $155. Hopefully you can get insurance to cover a replacement instead of the hassle of repairing it.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/J-Plug-J1772-EV-charging-cable-40A-15-foot-/272436688399?_trksid=p2385738.m2548.l4275

If it were me and I had to pay out of pocket, I'd probably just cut off the damaged part if it's near an end, and have a shorter cable. Otherwise I'd solder my own repair where the break is, and wrap the heck out of it in electrical tape to reinforce that weak point.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks for all of the great advice and options! I got final word on the GM XS Wear Lease Protection plan - having the plan means that I won't be charged for the damaged charger when I turn it in, but they won't replace it for me now. I ended up ordering a new L1/L2 portable charger

zencar
Level 2 EV Charger(100-240V,16A,28ft) Portable EVSE Home Electric Vehicle Charging Station Compatible with Chevy Volt, Nissan Leaf, Fiat, Ford Fusion (NEMA6-20 with Adapter for NEMA5-15)

1 - 8 of 8 Posts