Chevy Bolt EV Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
1,494 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
They are reporting that the Bolt EUV will have 277 miles of range because the guess-o-meter says "Max 277, 235 (in the middle) and Min 193" in the teaser video about the new Bolts having super cruise.

In reality land, GM is saying that the new models have the same battery and efficiency rating as the 2020 model.

The guess-o-meter in the vid shows somewhere between 80 and 85% SOC and the above specified numbers... that means to me that it was gently driven at city speeds in warm weather.

Keith

·
Registered
460 Posts
The display could have been CGI. Given that the EUV has the Bolt powertrain but is a larger vehicle, 235 miles seems about right for its EPA range. Formal unveiling in another month or so and we'll know for sure.

·
Registered
4,796 Posts
The Range Estimator they were looking at also appeared to be at least 10% below a full charge when displaying 235 miles. At a full charge, that would likely be 259 miles. I'm sure I've seen that number somewhere... :unsure:

Unfortunately, I think the only significant upgrade we can expect to see is in the charging speeds, with peak speeds somewhere between 66 and 75 kW (basically 1 C to 1.1 C). It's possible the NCM 712 cells can be pushed a bit harder, but given they are similar dimensions to the NCM 622, I'd expect a similar 1 C max charging speed.

Hopefully, GM listened to some of my advice and upgraded to a 200 A CCS port and used the newer CCS standard. That way, even when charging at peak speeds, there's enough overhead for the Bolt EV/EUV to draw additional power from the charger for battery and cabin conditioning. Also, it should enable Plug & Charge functionality

·
Registered
1,126 Posts
The Range Estimator they were looking at also appeared to be at least 10% below a full charge when displaying 235 miles. At a full charge, that would likely be 259 miles. I'm sure I've seen that number somewhere... :unsure:
Actually, it appears to be around 80% charged (16 of 20 segments illuminated). Doing the math, it would be 275-300 miles on a full charge.

I'm with other of the opinion that the car was likely just driven gently. Or it could be CGI with little meaning.

Hopefully, GM listened to some of my advice and upgraded to a 200 A CCS port and used the newer CCS standard. That way, even when charging at peak speeds, there's enough overhead for the Bolt EV/EUV to draw additional power from the charger for battery and cabin conditioning. Also, it should enable Plug & Charge functionality
I know that internet influence is a hot commodity these days. But I'm sure you're not the only one to realize that a 200A CCS port would be beneficial in a world where 150kW+ DCFCs are becoming common.

·
Registered
4,796 Posts
Actually, it appears to be around 80% charged (16 of 20 segments illuminated). Doing the math, it would be 275-300 miles on a full charge.

I'm with other of the opinion that the car was likely just driven gently. Or it could be CGI with little meaning.
I saw the top white line with only two bars missing below it, but I could have missed something.

I know that internet influence is a hot commodity these days. But I'm sure you're not the only one to realize that a 200A CCS port would be beneficial in a world where 150kW+ DCFCs are becoming common.
I'm sure other people have as well, but I'm the only one I know of that published something specifically recommending it. With over 6,000 views, I have to assume that it's had some reach.

·
Registered
1,126 Posts
I saw the top white line with only two bars missing below it, but I could have missed something.

Source: Chevrolet Bolt EUV Teaser Shows 235 Miles Of Range At 80-85% Charge

It looks to me that we are both off by one - it looks like there are 2 bars illuminated above the 3/4 line, which means 3 bars are off. So 17 of 20. In my 2017 Bolt, this means the SoC is >80% but <= 85%. In the story, they also said 80-85%, which jibe with my experience.

235 is 80% of 294 and 85% of 276. Hence my "275-300 miles of range" statement.

·
Registered
4,796 Posts
View attachment 32799
Source: Chevrolet Bolt EUV Teaser Shows 235 Miles Of Range At 80-85% Charge

It looks to me that we are both off by one - it looks like there are 2 bars illuminated above the 3/4 line, which means 3 bars are off. So 17 of 20. In my 2017 Bolt, this means the SoC is >80% but <= 85%. In the story, they also said 80-85%, which jibe with my experience.

235 is 80% of 294 and 85% of 276. Hence my "275-300 miles of range" statement.
Yeah, so 80% to 85% is likely... The issue, of course, is that the Bolt EV uses a Range Estimator that is highly variable. It could be an Easter Egg hinting at a range boost, but it could also just be an image. I'm not believing anything until I see the actual EPA filing documents.

·
Registered
1,126 Posts
Yeah, so 80% to 85% is likely... The issue, of course, is that the Bolt EV uses a Range Estimator that is highly variable. It could be an Easter Egg hinting at a range boost, but it could also just be an image. I'm not believing anything until I see the actual EPA filing documents.
I'm 100% with you there. Knowing GM, it really could go either way.

From official presses, I have only seen GM say that they will be using the same BEV platform, but not necessarily the same battery between the two. That's a big difference. I wouldn't be surprised to see a 75kWh battery in the EUV that charges at up to 75kW and offers nearly 300 miles of range. I also wouldn't be surprised to see the 66kWh battery that charges at up to 55kW and offers only 240 miles of range.

·
Registered
4,796 Posts
I'm 100% with you there. Knowing GM, it really could go either way.

From official presses, I have only seen GM say that they will be using the same BEV platform, but not necessarily the same battery between the two. That's a big difference. I wouldn't be surprised to see a 75kWh battery in the EUV that charges at up to 75kW and offers nearly 300 miles of range. I also wouldn't be surprised to see the 66kWh battery that charges at up to 55kW and offers only 240 miles of range.
Yes, I was thinking something similar. GM stated that they would be using "the same batteries," but depending on whom you're talking with, that could mean the exact same battery (the technically correct term for using the same 66 kWh pack) or it could simply mean using the same battery cells (which still leaves the possibility for different packaging and configurations).

Personally, I think GM should be offering optional Ultium upgrades on even their economy EV offerings, but I can see prioritizing the GMC Hummer EV and other high-end EVs for at least the first few years of production.

·
Registered
1,494 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
The only upgrade GM talks about is the Super Cruise, no mention of range increase or faster charging... without battery size / charging speed upgrades is a non-starter for me.

Oh, and they need to move the MSRP out of the fantasy land of $45,000+ They have real world competition from Ford, VW, and others... a sub 300 mile car that charges at 55 KW is acceptable for $25,000 (actual selling price for Bolts right now)... it is not acceptable for $45,000

Keith

·
Registered
106 Posts
Its just a shame if the rumors are true that the EUV will be using the same battery and drive unit from the Bolt. Bigger car equals less range. I mean i get why GM wouldn't want to reengineer the battery to add 6 inches to it and more cells or however much longer/bigger the EUV will be. I like the idea of the EUV because it seems like it is going to hit a sweet spot in terms of size between the Bolt EV and something bigger like the Mach-E or Model Y.

·
Registered
4,796 Posts
The only upgrade GM talks about is the Super Cruise, no mention of range increase or faster charging... without battery size / charging speed upgrades is a non-starter for me.

Oh, and they need to move the MSRP out of the fantasy land of $45,000+ They have real world competition from Ford, VW, and others... a sub 300 mile car that charges at 55 KW is acceptable for $25,000 (actual selling price for Bolts right now)... it is not acceptable for $45,000

Keith
To be fair, GM never really announced their charging upgrades either. The only reason it was apparent that the 2020 Bolt EV had a new battery was increased energy and lighter weight. We'll have to wait until the EPA numbers are posted to confirm.

Its just a shame if the rumors are true that the EUV will be using the same battery and drive unit from the Bolt. Bigger car equals less range. I mean i get why GM wouldn't want to reengineer the battery to add 6 inches to it and more cells or however much longer/bigger the EUV will be. I like the idea of the EUV because it seems like it is going to hit a sweet spot in terms of size between the Bolt EV and something bigger like the Mach-E or Model Y.
In terms of interior volume, the Bolt EUV* is very likely the same size as the Ford Mustang Mach-E and Tesla Model Y. Keep in mind, the Bolt EV is less than 10 cu/ft smaller than the Model Y, so worst case, the EUV should be just a little smaller than the Model Y and possibly on par with the Mach-E.

*Edit

·
Registered
1,126 Posts
In terms of interior volume, the Bolt EV is very likely the same size as the Ford Mustang Mach-E and Tesla Model Y. Keep in mind, the Bolt EV is less than 10 cu/ft smaller than the Model Y, so worst case, the EUV should be just a little smaller than the Model Y and possibly on par with the Mach-E.
I think you meant Bolt EUV in the first sentence?

Interior volume is a tricky metric. The Bolt is tall for its footprint, which adds a lot of vertical volume. That vertical space does not help me as much as horizontal space when I'm trying to pack my family and all of our stuff in the car.

·
Registered
4,796 Posts
I think you meant Bolt EUV in the first sentence?

Interior volume is a tricky metric. The Bolt is tall for its footprint, which adds a lot of vertical volume. That vertical space does not help me as much as horizontal space when I'm trying to pack my family and all of our stuff in the car.
Yes, thanks.

I think both dimensions can be important for different reasons, and overall cargo capacity doesn't indicate the usability of space. The usability of space is really a qualitative assessment that is ultimately dependent on the individual consumer.

I do think the Bolt EV's roof line is a little on the high side, but I'm not 6' 5" -- lowering the roof line 4" won't impact me much but could be a deal breaker for others. I also think that widening and lengthening the car by a couple inches would be useful. Those last two changes should be something we see in the Bolt EUV.

·
Registered
1,126 Posts
Oh absolutely. I'm not saying that interior volume is meaningless, just that two cars with identical volume may be usable in completely different ways.

I am shorter than average, so the height of the Bolt is actually a negative attribute to me. It adds nothing usable, increases aero drag, while also making the roof harder to reach. I frequently travel with a roof box for extra storage. It is currently loaded with three sets of skis. I would be MUCH happier if the Bolt's height was more in line with the eGolf.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts