Chevy Bolt EV Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
264 Posts
And they should be, Tesla has toothpaste for resources compared to the General... now the trick is for them to connect the dots and operate cohesively...

·
Registered
428 Posts
And they should be, Tesla has toothpaste for resources compared to the General... now the trick is for them to connect the dots and operate cohesively...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ICbqBz8VFNk
I think that Tesla has more flexibility than GM though. The company is less big and has less of a concrete structure which can allow them to develop differently than GM.

I'm just saying that Gm has advantages, but so does Tesla.

·
Registered
264 Posts
I think that Tesla has more flexibility than GM though. The company is less big and has less of a concrete structure which can allow them to develop differently than GM.

I'm just saying that Gm has advantages, but so does Tesla.
to a degree, but it also depends where and why that flexibility is necessary. GM has MASSIVE advantages in purchasing power and production potential, no amount of flexibility makes that up...

·
Registered
786 Posts
Tesla Motors has two limitations: volume and development.

They cannot produce vehicles in large volume as GM can, so most of their buyers must go through a waiting list, and many buyers don't like that. GM overproduces and has many vehicles on dealer lots. Even at this present date when the first generation has stopped production, you can find many 2015 Chevy Volts at different dealers and prices may be better than last year when it began selling, yet they are just as new.

In development, GM has the nation's largest battery test facility, although they don't manufacturer them. And Gm has several development facilities acrosss the nation, so a new vehicle idea can be developed, tested, and put into production in less than two years. The best modern example is the present 2017 Chevy Bolt EV, and the best past example is the first generation 2011 Chevy Volt, which was presented in 2008 as a 2009 design, then developed and produced in 2010, making the first customer sale in December 2010.

Tesla Motors, on the other hand, has taken five years for the Model S, over four (and reaching five years) for the still-being-tested Model X, so the Model 3 (which doesn't even have a concept prototype yet) will not be on sale until 2018. and if produced will not reach enough sales volume until late 2018. By that time the second generation Bolt EV will be designed, and GM may even surprise the nation by announcing newer BEVs that can kill off the Model 3 sales altogether.

·
Registered
428 Posts
I listened to a podcast recently that talked about GM manufacturing over time, and it was mostly bad. Basically it talked about how the whole culture and system was very, very difficult to change in order to do something different (better). Tesla can learn from GM's mistakes and/or pivot more easily because the company isn't nearly as big.

·
Registered
639 Posts
Might even be possible that Tesla just wants to get their product portfolio built up more to a point they're even more attractive to investors, which will push them as a brand up and stronger.

·
Registered
428 Posts
Might even be possible that Tesla just wants to get their product portfolio built up more to a point they're even more attractive to investors, which will push them as a brand up and stronger.
Yea, your "brand" can only be so developed when you have just one product. I think it is clear that Tesla is attempting to grow their product offerings though. They have a few new models in the pipeline and also that home battery that they released a little while ago.

·
Registered
639 Posts
Yea, your "brand" can only be so developed when you have just one product. I think it is clear that Tesla is attempting to grow their product offerings though. They have a few new models in the pipeline and also that home battery that they released a little while ago.
That and how would it look for the rest of the industry to be heading into one direction meanwhile everyone is asking where's Tesla. They want volume... going where it is will help ensure that.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts