• Go for the single charge mark!

Votes: 6 85.7%

• Total voters
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Super Moderator
2,067 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I posted about my plans to drive across the entire state of MD in June of this year previously (http://www.chevybolt.org/forum/9-2017-chevy-bolt-ev-general-discussion-forum/9018-western-maryland-ocean-city-md-possible-single-charge.html)

It seems I can either try to break the "EV time record" for a border to border drive across MD, which is 6 hours, 41 minutes and held by a Model S 70D owner OR I can attempt a drive across the entire state on a single charge (~322 miles). Pretty sure I would not be able to set both marks on the same drive unless I had some crazy tailwind and was drafting a semi the entire way.

So, which "record" should I attempt to break? I'm leaning towards the "drive across MD on a single charge" mark, since even if I set the time mark, it probably wouldn't stand very long as any Model S 100D owner could probably zip across the state and blow up my time.

·
Registered
59 Posts
I'm sure you wouldn't make it across the state based on a time record since you wouldn't make it without recharging and the Tesla chargers are so much more robust, they'd cut the charge time.
That's not even mentioning the top speed differences, should someone not be caught.

·
Super Moderator
2,067 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I'm sure you wouldn't make it across the state based on a time record since you wouldn't make it without recharging and the Tesla chargers are so much more robust, they'd cut the charge time.
That's not even mentioning the top speed differences, should someone not be caught.
I think the current "record holder" for time set some standards such as observing the posted speed limits. Based off that, even if I did set the mark, all it would take is one 100D owner to make the trek, as they would probably be able to go all the way across the state without charging.

Seems like the single-charge mark is the one to shoot for. :)

·
Registered
168 Posts
I vote for single charge. Like you said, any Tesla could beat the time. I think a long distance single charge run could provide some information about range/speed if documented well.

·
Registered
1,031 Posts
Hmm... it may be worth it to check it out first haha. But I would make on the single charge record... you got this.

·
Registered
735 Posts
I wonder if GM roadside assistance covers a tow to the nearest dealer if one were to run out of charge. :D
If you use a bunch of techy words to describe your issue and sound really informed and direct the whole thing then they might budge ;)

ESPECIALLY if you say "The dealer/owners manual said THIS ______________"

·
Registered
1,486 Posts
The single charge mark seems more feasible than trying to beat a Tesla Model S in speed. May not be the new P100D, but their other models are still pretty quick.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts