Chevy Bolt EV Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
174 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I've run into another little glitch in the past couple of days, wondering if anyone else has noticed this. Random, not reproducible yet.

Going Low and slow (i.e, enjoying one pedal driving with a lift off the accelerator slowing the car to a stop), and then...it's not slowing to a stop (yes, still in L). Having learned when I could let off the "gas" for neighborhood stop signs, I'd gotten used to the car stopping with one pedal driving, but then I almost coasted through some stop signs and even had to stomp on the brakes (which I'm just not used to using) to avoid rear ending someone, because Low wasn't going slow (i.e., stopping with lift off like usual). It's happened a few times in the past few days. Seems to reset itself back to Low and slow mode. ???

·
Registered
368 Posts
So I've run into another little glitch in the past couple of days, wondering if anyone else has noticed this. Random, not reproducible yet.

Going Low and slow (i.e, enjoying one pedal driving with a lift off the accelerator slowing the car to a stop), and then...it's not slowing to a stop (yes, still in L). Having learned when I could let off the "gas" for neighborhood stop signs, I'd gotten used to the car stopping with one pedal driving, but then I almost coasted through some stop signs and even had to stomp on the brakes (which I'm just not used to using) to avoid rear ending someone, because Low wasn't going slow (i.e., stopping with lift off like usual). It's happened a few times in the past few days. Seems to reset itself back to Low and slow mode. ???
Yes, many of us have noticed it, and it is not random. One-pedal driving is deactivated when the driver's seatbelt is unfastened. It is reactivated when the belt is refastened.

·
Registered
174 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Yes, many of us have noticed it, and it is not random. One-pedal driving is deactivated when the driver's seatbelt is unfastened. It is reactivated when the belt is refastened.
Hmm, interesting, I don't have my belt on and off while driving though, I wonder if the car thinks I do? Should show up as a seatbelt chime though right?

·
Registered
368 Posts
There is a chime, but I think it's fairly intermittent.

The creeping could also be caused by stopping on a downward slope, but I figure you'd have noticed that. Otherwise, it always seems to be the seat belt thing. FYI, here's what the manual says about it:

"One-Pedal Driving may become
disabled and the vehicle may
continue to creep forward, or if
stopped, may apply the EPB or shift
to park. This can be caused by the
following:
. The drivers door is open.
. The drivers safety belt is
unbuckled.
. The vehicle has remained
stationary for five minutes.
. There is a problem with the
propulsion system."

Hopefully, you're just opening your door as you drive, and you don't have a propulsion system problem. ;)

·
Registered
862 Posts

If it's soon after leaving your warm(ish) garage, it's a result of the battery pack cooling and, with the correlating capacity reduction, not having "room" for the regen energy. That's one of the uses of "Hilltop Reserve" and starting with less than 100% SOC.

·
Registered
508 Posts
If it's soon after leaving your warm(ish) garage, it's a result of the battery pack cooling and, with the correlating capacity reduction, not having "room" for the regen energy. That's one of the uses of "Hilltop Reserve" and starting with less than 100% SOC.
That definitely happened to me, since I live at 900 feet and drove down to 300 feet at full charge. Now I am using Hill Top Reserve and it seems to charge to about 200 mile range and the regen works going down the hill. Also though, I find the regen isn't always consistent and have my foot on the break as I come to a stop. Clearly not safe to rely on regen to stop and this is commented on in the manual. I am wary of using the one pedal approach, since I have to reprogram 57 years of driving the old fashioned way.

·
Registered
1,031 Posts
That's quite odd.. maybe just give the dealer and ring and see what they say. If there was a problem with the propulsion system, wouldn't a notice of some sort pop up on a screen or something?

·
Registered
40 Posts
This happens on the Tesla as well, just the warnings on the Bolt are not very visible.

I pull the paddle on the left side of the steering wheel to assist taking my hoof off the accelerator. This seems to boost the brake effect a huge amount but have the foot ready to stomp on the brake as well. The combo of all three soon exceeds the tire capability if you are reckless and require a sudden but violent stop.

On mine this characteristic you mention is only in the first 1000 feet of driving in L mode.

·
Registered
862 Posts
This is common to all EV's. If the battery is full, nowhere to store the juice created by regen.

You will often also find this in hot weather, particularly if you have just finished charging the battery. In addition to SOC, hot (or cold) ambient and/or battery temps can reduce the amount of charge rate that the battery can accept, and regen strength can and will be reduced under certain conditions.

·
Registered
1,486 Posts
So it's best to just leave it in "Hilltop Reserve" if you like using the one pedal driving method most days. Didn't know until now that the braking power was lowered if there's nowhere for the energy to go.

·
Super Moderator
2,564 Posts
One thing the OP should consider is the seatbelt switch. He recently had his seats out and apart to add padding to the seat. I don't know how the Bolt is wired, but likely there is a switch in there somehow and maybe it's not connected properly.

·
Registered
171 Posts
I also noticed this random amount of "L" deceleration. Sometimes it works normally and stops the car and sometimes it will "overrun" and not stop as normal and I have to brake with the brake pedal. Nothing to do with the "state of charge" and seat belt as it is always fastened on the road. Still trying to figure it out......

Reactions: hatchy

·
Registered
4,802 Posts
I also noticed this random amount of "L" deceleration. Sometimes it works normally and stops the car and sometimes it will "overrun" and not stop as normal and I have to brake with the brake pedal. Nothing to do with the "state of charge" and seat belt as it is always fastened on the road. Still trying to figure it out......
I've never had this issue with my Bolt, but on the other hand I rarely depend on the full braking power of "L" mode (without the paddle) but rather feather the accelerator pedal to decelerate gradually to a stop.

·
Registered
1,417 Posts
The best feature of our Bolt is the control consistency. We always use hilltop charging, always use L mode and always use the steering wheel paddle if more retardation is needed. Brakes are seldom-to-never.

If regeneration retard is not consistent when charged in hilltop mode, something is definitely not as it should be.

jack vines

·
Registered
136 Posts
In the 2019 model, I've set my charge to top off at 73% and the regen works consistently there so far. One of the very few times I've charged to 100% (thought I was going to go out of town, then didn't) I did find myself coming up to a stop sign faster than anticipated. Still had no problem finding the brake pedal though.

·
Registered
2,679 Posts
In the 2019 model, I've set my charge to top off at 73% and the regen works consistently there so far. One of the very few times I've charged to 100% (thought I was going to go out of town, then didn't) I did find myself coming up to a stop sign faster than anticipated. Still had no problem finding the brake pedal though.

Yup. My concern is that someday I'll grab for the non-existent left paddle while driving an ice, rather than performing the muscle-memory process of hitting the brake. So far, muscle-memory has won. I wonder how long it takes to "de-train" muscle memory?

·
Registered
3,811 Posts
Yup. My concern is that someday I'll grab for the non-existent left paddle while driving an ice, rather than performing the muscle-memory process of hitting the brake. So far, muscle-memory has won. I wonder how long it takes to "de-train" muscle memory?
Heck, I've pushed in the "clutch" on an automatic car after a few months of exclusively driving a manual. Just about gave my mom whiplash and she asked what that was about. The brake pedal on an automatic is wider than on a manual, and apparently is close enough in proximity to where the clutch would be.

I manually shift the company CX-5 usually, and sometimes forget if I've left it in auto or manual. If I think I'm in auto, but actually in manual and accelerate from a stop, the engine revs very high and my wife asks me why the car is doing that... yeah, stupid car ;0)

·
Registered
136 Posts
One of the reasons I wish there was a 'paddle' button on the shifter, I can't drive a compact car without my right hand sitting on the shifter waiting to catch the next gear. Might as well be useful there!

1 - 18 of 18 Posts