Chevy Bolt EV Forum banner

1 - 20 of 36 Posts

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just bought 2018 bolt. I'll be driving 80 miles one way to work, which has a 3.6 kw(15a) charger. Have 7.5 years left, so lot of miles! Last car, gas, Oldsmobile Alero went to 390k before it was wrecked.

I'm hoping I made the right choice, think I'll be okay in dead of winter, charger at work adds about 100 miles of range, and one at home can fully charge overnight.

With the cost of gas, and miles I'm driving, this may be cheaper than driving my normal junk cars.

So far, very nice car. With temps in the 40s, getting 3.5 miles/kw. Been reading a ton on here, ready to put some miles on her!

Dennis

·
Registered
13 Posts
Congrats on the new Bolt Dennis, and I'm sure you'll be able to hit that milestone. The only problem may be the other electrics that will come to market in the meantime, which are sure to improve upon the technology. Definitely think that long term you'll start to see lots of savings from your commute.

·
Registered
1,044 Posts
I have a 130 mile commute and charge to hill-top reserve. The roads I travel are 70 mph and it is dangerous not to keep up with traffic. With a charger at work you can blast the heater in the car and be fine charging to hill-top reserve every day. However, I torture myself in cold weather to try to get the best miles/kWh. Heated steering wheel and heated seats take a lot less energy.

The best part of being a long range commuter is the maintenance, or lack of it! I have put 28,000 miles and I am getting ready for another tire rotation. The local tire shop runs out to my car and rotates the tires for free in less than 15 minutes. I bought some lubricant for the hinges, windshield wiper fluid, and a bunch of cabin filters I got for cheap. So until I need to replace my tires, I will hopefully have no cost at all added to my vehicle. I also installed solar, so my electric cost will eventually be virtually nothing when they pay themselves off.

The Bolt is absolutely the best long range commuter car you can buy. Especially in high traffic areas like LA or San Fran. I am interested to see how many miles I can put on the car and see what components will be the first to fail.

·
Registered
126 Posts
Welcome! I always thought that I'd be happy with 200k but I never thought to aim for 300k. I don't see why not if the first service is at 150k lol

As discodan said, you'll be absolutely fine - especially with a charger at work. I also do 130 miles a day going 70+ and I only charge at home. For comparison, I've been getting 2.7-3 miles/kw in the 40s with my driving habits.

The most important thing for us long distance commuters is: DON'T FORGET TO PLUG IN! I've forgotten twice :( and both times I went to the store in the middle of the night.

·
Registered
158 Posts
With 162 mile commute per day...the Bolt is by far the best thing going. I continue to be happy getting in it everyday. I see absolutely no reason why this car cannot hit 300,000 miles +.
I have just shy of 22,000 miles on her in just over 7 months.
Not even a rattle yet other than an unscheduled stop for water in a connector...minor at best.
I too have charging at work and I charge at work and home using hilltop reserve.
I think keeping the battery on the half full side is easier on the battery rather than going down into the sub 20% when I only charge at home.
There are a fair number of studies out there showing that scenario extends battery life. I guess we will see.
So far though, I have had zero battery degradation.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
4.1 per kw for trip home. Still slightly nervous about it. It is the most expensive thing I've bought other than my house, and not completely used to it being electric. When you've spent the last 8 years, 3 hours a day, driving the same car, takes a bit to drive something else!

Haven't forgot to plug in, but I've left the charging door open twice.

·
Registered
253 Posts
Welcome to the alternate universe of EV transportation! We are one month in on Bolt ownership and figure this will be the last car my wife ever needs. Don't know whether she will drive long enough to hit 300K miles, but wouldn't be surprised if it happened.

·
Registered
4,866 Posts
Haven't forgot to plug in, but I've left the charging door open twice.
I don't believe I ever left the gas cap off, or the fill door open on my gas cars. I was horrified at the idea of spilling that toxic stuff. With the Bolt, I leave the charge door open about 10% of the time. Good thing it has the picture on the DIC, and the chime. I'd hate to spill electrons. :)

·
Registered
574 Posts
After four months of ownership, I still find myself pulling the key out of my pocket and trying to open the door with it, and reaching for the key to turn it off. My old 2002 Honda Accord did not have such niceties as keyless entry or ignition switch.

·
Registered
4,866 Posts
After four months of ownership, I still find myself pulling the key out of my pocket and trying to open the door with it, and reaching for the key to turn it off. My old 2002 Honda Accord did not have such niceties as keyless entry or ignition switch.
I wish it had a key, and I still miss my roll up windows. One pedal driving is almost as much fun as stick, so I don't miss that....1993 Nissan Sentra E, two door, 5 speed, no AC, 380,125 trouble free miles.

·
Registered
144 Posts

I travel for work a lot, and rent cars... I am surprised how quickly I have gotten used to the advanced features of the Bolt.

A key in an ignition? No proximity door locks? Put gas in before returning it? Use the BRAKES??!!

:D

·
Registered
1,324 Posts
I travel for work a lot, and rent cars... I am surprised how quickly I have gotten used to the advanced features of the Bolt. A key in an ignition? No proximity door locks? Put gas in before returning it? Use the BRAKES??!!:D
I regularly haul parts and equipment, thus have to use a diesel 6.0 Ford F250 for the daily commute and a twice-weekly 100-mile round trip. Since acclimating to the Bolt, the effen truck feels akin to killing flies with a sledge hammer. OTOH, the Bolt does not accommodate greasy engine cores or pallets with rebuilt engines.

jack vines

·
Registered
49 Posts
With my 15 mile each way commute... uh.. yeah.. nevermind
Right there with ya'. My commute is 19.3 very gentle miles each way. OTW to work, my range estimator (I prefer the sound of Guess-O-Meter, but some find it derogatory) shows about 10 miles used up. When I get home, I show about 32 miles used. On a couple occasions, I've forced myself to remember to not plug it in. Not exactly "tempting fate" though.

·
Registered
247 Posts
I forgot how to use brakes LOL so spoiled with the L driving. I was also victim of gas siphoning... so until the technology is up to par with electrons siphoning (and it will be one day), my worries are gone for many years LOL
I noticed my maintenance schedule chart is in miles... I am in Canada so, my first main maintenance at 160,000 miles is really at 260,000km...
Was having that discussion at work yesterday. I realized that I have never stayed with an ICE beyond 180,000km simply because it is considered really "used"... someone here mentioned diesel bettered those odds and then I told them about EV maintenance and all jaws dropped, crickets played in the background, followed by an enthusiastic "I am so checking out your car on the internet right now, and I am calling my wife. We're getting one." LOL

·
Registered
1,324 Posts
I forgot how to use brakes LOL so spoiled with the L driving.
Agree completely. That's a unique EV selling feature that can't really be understood until it's used for a while. (It's also amazing that a certain percentage of EV owners never adapt to it.)

I realized that I have never stayed with an ICE beyond 180,000km simply because it is considered really "used".
Thinking doesn't make it so; that's old school. With today's ICE technology, an EV will be just as "used" at the same mileage. Current ICE engines usually long outlast the soft parts. Most cars are traded just because the owner wanted something new and different.

jack vines

1 - 20 of 36 Posts