Chevy Bolt EV Forum banner

21 - 36 of 36 Posts

·
Registered
247 Posts
Agree completely. That's a unique EV selling feature that can't really be understood until it's used for a while. (It's also amazing that a certain percentage of EV owners never adapt to it.)

Thinking doesn't make it so; that's old school. With today's ICE technology, an EV will be just as "used" at the same mileage. Current ICE engines usually long outlast the soft parts. Most cars are traded just because the owner wanted something new and different.

jack vines
I agree, hence why "used" between quotes. Once I got over that old school mentality, I'd trade cars simply for the lucrative benefit of being able to upgrade to something better. I don't think I have stayed more than 3 years with the same vehicle for the past 12 years... I am hoping with EV that will change.

·
Registered
99 Posts
I’ve owned my car for about a month and a half and I’m loving every minute. My commute to work is only about 7km one way but my car now has 3,700km. LOL
My driving is all pleasure and cruising around ?
The first 2 weeks owning the vehicle, I was so worried about battery degradation/life. Based on what I’ve read I kept hilltop reserve on to “preserve and prolong” the battery.
That lasted about 3 weeks and I’m like screw this im charging to full. I’m not making compromises anymore and I’ll enjoy this thing while it’s in the prime ownership years for me (max 4-5 years).
This won’t be my last car but I’m going to drive it as much as I can and see if I can hit 150,000km in 5 years then see what options for new EV cars are available then to replace my bolt: I’m sure there will be plenty to choose from at that time ?.

Cheers!

·
Registered
1,252 Posts
I was also victim of gas siphoning... so until the technology is up to par with electrons siphoning (and it will be one day), my worries are gone for many years
It shouldn't be a problem if you mean thieves will steal electricity back out the J1772 port. The charging system was designed to feed power into the Bolt and I don't think was ever designed for vehicle-to-grid (V2G). Without that, the only ways to discharge that battery are to drive the Bolt or via the high-power leads off the traction battery's compartment. Even off those leads, it would require the car to be "ON" to close the jumpers that allow the traction battery to actually drive the electric motors.

A typical siphon thief would have a lot of hoops to jump through just to suck electrons out of your battery.

Also, a lot of time would be needed. If we owners can't charge that fast, we also can't discharge that fast.

I'm imagining a siphon thief getting confused when they run across a Bolt. :D

Reactions: Torontonian69

·
Registered
182 Posts
I have an 80-mile 1-way commute to work as well. It took me 9 years and 11 months to reach 300,000 miles on my current ICE. It's going to take you a good amount of time to get there. It will be interesting to see how well the Bolt's battery does with that level and depth of charge cycles.

·
Registered
4,563 Posts
I washed my Bolt a few weeks ago, and opened up the hood to clean some leaves out. I caught myself looking for the dipstick. I have nothing to check but the tire pressure (which I really don't have to do, since the car has tire pressure monitors).
I take a look under the hood once a month to check the fluid levels and to refill the window washer fluid. At the same time I check my tire pressures (the old fashioned way, with a gauge) and verify that all of my lights are working properly. Just did it this morning, in fact.

One thing that worries me a little bit is that the only way for me to check my reverse lights is to turn the car on, put it in "R", and hope that the parking brake holds as I walk around to the back of the car. On my ICE vehicles I could put it into "R" without actually starting the engine, but there doesn't seem to be any equivalent on the Bolt.

·
Registered
36 Posts
I take a look under the hood once a month to check the fluid levels and to refill the window washer fluid. At the same time I check my tire pressures (the old fashioned way, with a gauge) and verify that all of my lights are working properly. Just did it this morning, in fact.

One thing that worries me a little bit is that the only way for me to check my reverse lights is to turn the car on, put it in "R", and hope that the parking brake holds as I walk around to the back of the car. On my ICE vehicles I could put it into "R" without actually starting the engine, but there doesn't seem to be any equivalent on the Bolt.
Back into a spot at a place with windows. Look in the rearview mirror. :)

·
Registered
4,866 Posts
Yeah, I should do that, I guess. I just like to get it all done in my garage rather than having to remember to do it while I'm out driving.
Do it in the garage, at night, with the lights out. The backup lights should light up your garage door pretty well.

I'd keep my foot right over the brake pedal though. I don't know if the electric parking brake will stay on, with the car in gear. It will come off, for sure, if you step on the throttle.

·
Registered
786 Posts
Just bought 2018 bolt. I'll be driving 80 miles one way to work, which has a 3.6 kw(15a) charger. Have 7.5 years left, so lot of miles! Last car, gas, Oldsmobile Alero went to 390k before it was wrecked.

I'm hoping I made the right choice, think I'll be okay in dead of winter, charger at work adds about 100 miles of range, and one at home can fully charge overnight.

With the cost of gas, and miles I'm driving, this may be cheaper than driving my normal junk cars.

So far, very nice car. With temps in the 40s, getting 3.5 miles/kw. Been reading a ton on here, ready to put some miles on her!

Dennis
Hi Dennis, my Olds Alero GX wrecked at around 270k. At nearly 400k was the front seat crumbling apart?! I know mine wasn't in the best shape!

·
Registered
4,563 Posts
Do it in the garage, at night, with the lights out. The backup lights should light up your garage door pretty well.
I've tried that, but I'm not convinced that all the white light I'm seeing back there might not be from just one bulb. I've done the "reverse with the parking brake on" a few times without any issues, but if I was smart I'd probably get a pair of wheel chocks just to be on the safe side.

·
Registered
1,429 Posts

And I trickle charge (condition) my 12 volt battery once a month (on the last night, so I can remember better) which gets me looking under the hood. When I plug in the trickle charger, it always shows a blinking light, indicating "not fully charged", and by morning it is a steady red glow and I'm good to go!

·
Registered
5 Posts
When garaged, I connect + and - clip leads to the 12volt battery, from a 7 watt solar panel on the garage roof. That 12 volt battery is important, and I keep it happy.

21 - 36 of 36 Posts