Chevy Bolt EV Forum banner

1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
1,931 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Sold my 2017 Bolt with 45K trouble free miles on her to Vroom, they picked her up Sat afternoon.
Order is in for Tesla Model Y in Midnight Silver with White interior.

·
Registered
492 Posts
Nice upgrade! give us pics when you get your Y.

Reactions: GJETSON

·
Registered
1,931 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
^ Will do....

·
Registered
1,931 Posts
Discussion Starter #5 (Edited)
No other details on either transaction?
Sold the 2017 Bolt for $19.5K, the Model Y is All Wheel Drive, Long Range version (316mi), 19" wheels with upgraded paint (+$1K) and White interior (+$1K) for $49.9K ($51.9K- $2K NY EV POS Rebate).

Vroom offered $3k more than Carvana and Carmax. The payment is not instant with Vroom, they picked up the car 5pm Sat and today I got the fedex tracking number for my check arriving on Tues. All in all it was pretty easy, not as easy as Carvana where you get the check on the spot, but for $3k more.. I can wait three days. Tesla offered $17.3K, but who knows what their offer will be in a month when I'm ready to pick up my Model Y. It was just less stressful to sell it now and have the cash in hand for when the Tesla is ready. We have two extra cars in the driveway for me to use if needed, so it's not like I'm in dire need of a car right now either.

·
Registered
1,495 Posts
Good luck with the "Y". Does this mean you have to sing (and do the arm motions to) "YMCA" every time you get in it?

·
Registered
84 Posts
Vroom offered $3k more than Carvana and Carmax. The payment is not instant with Vroom, they picked up the car 5pm Sat and today I got the fedex tracking number for my check arriving on Tues. All in all it was pretty easy, not as easy as Carvana where you get the check on the spot, but for $3k more.. I can wait three days. Tesla offered $17.3K, but who knows what their offer will be in a month when I'm ready to pick up my Model Y. It was just less stressful to sell it now and have the cash in hand for when the Tesla is ready. We have two extra cars in the driveway for me to use if needed, so it's not like I'm in dire need of a car right now either.
My experience with Carvana is opposite. They offered more money when I sold my Prime compared to Vroom. They also have an option of on the spot check ($5 fee) or direct deposit (free). And transaction is very easy and quick.

·
Registered
546 Posts
Enjoy your Y. As with all EVs, things change quickly. Elon tweeted a couple of days ago that they were "close" to offering a LR Y with one motor which presumably would be less expensive than the dual motor. But hey, if you wait for the latest and greatest, you'll never get there.:)

·
Registered
1,931 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Enjoy your Y. As with all EVs, things change quickly. Elon tweeted a couple of days ago that they were "close" to offering a LR Y with one motor which presumably would be less expensive than the dual motor. But hey, if you wait for the latest and greatest, you'll never get there.:)
Thanks Tom, I would actually opt for the Dual Motor AWD in any case as we get plenty of slop and snow here in NY. I honestly can't tell you for sure, but if the Bolt was AWD I might have kept it longer.

·
Registered
1,931 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
My experience with Carvana is opposite. They offered more money when I sold my Prime compared to Vroom. They also have an option of on the spot check ($5 fee) or direct deposit (free). And transaction is very easy and quick.
On Feb 27th (great Covid timing right?) when I started exploring my trade-in vs. sell options Carvana and Vroom were very close in price. Carvana offered $20,705 and Vroom offered $20K even. I was set to go with Carvana, But the Model Y wasn't available for delivery yet, so I couldn't pull the trigger at that time.
When I re-applied two weeks ago, Vroom offered $19.5K and Carvana offered $16.3K.
FWIW- on Feb 27th my Bolt had 45,005 miles on it, last Sat when Vroom picked it up the odo read 45,705mi... I only drove it 700 miles in 5 months. It was amazing that Carvana dropped their offer $4K and Vroom only dropped their offer $500 in 5 months.

·
Registered
1,546 Posts
Thanks Tom, I would actually opt for the Dual Motor AWD in any case as we get plenty of slop and snow here in NY. I honestly can't tell you for sure, but if the Bolt was AWD I might have kept it longer.
FWIW, I had intended to get the AWD Model 3 but when my reservation came up, AWD was not on the menu and I didn't know how long my daily driver was going to last so was in a pickle. I decided to move forward with the RWD knowing that I would have dedicated snow tires like I did on my former RWD vehicles. They were also sedans that with proper tires, handled whatever upstate NY could throw at it better than my former FWD cars. I currently do not live in the snowbelt but my family still does and I visit quite often year round. I've also never owned an AWD car so there's that.
I'm not sure if I had to do it over again if I would have held out for the AWD as I've been very impressed with how well the RWD Tesla handles adverse weather. The bigger issue for me is ground clearance which you won't have to be concerned about. In a nutshell, if they offer the RWD version before you hit the order button, and the price differential is enough to catch your attention, I don't think you'll regret not getting AWD IMO but it would give you comfort knowing that you've prepared for the worst whether you need it or not.
The one caveat though is that if you have a budget and currently you want FSD, you can go with the AWD and later upgrade to the FSD OTA if budget allows. You can't add AWD OTA later.

·
Registered
84 Posts
When I re-applied two weeks ago, Vroom offered $19.5K and Carvana offered $16.3K.
FWIW- on Feb 27th my Bolt had 45,005 miles on it, last Sat when Vroom picked it up the odo read 45,705mi... I only drove it 700 miles in 5 months. It was amazing that Carvana dropped their offer $4K and Vroom only dropped their offer $500 in 5 months.
Carvana's offer changes by the hour from my experience. At one time my Prime was $16k then the next day it was $20k.
Goodluck on your model Y. My brother just bought a model Y last month and liked the roof glass. But it was in and out of the dealer due to quality issues like misaligned door, hatch and windshield defect. But they were able to fix it and they gave him a model S and X as a loaner while they repair it.

·
Registered
1,931 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I did consider FSD, but at $7K (now $8K) it was a hard pass since it's still sold as "Beta" and IMO is still years away with the current camera/sensor suite Tesla employs (regardless of what EM says/tweets). As @Dyefrog mentioned above.. FSD can be added at any time after the sale.

I am going to miss Android Auto and the heated steering wheel, but neither of those are deal breakers for me.

·
Registered
1,931 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
My brother just bought a model Y last month and liked the roof glass. But it was in and out of the dealer due to quality issues like misaligned door, hatch and windshield defect. But they were able to fix it and they gave him a model S and X as a loaner while they repair it.
Thanks, I have been following the Model Y roller coaster very closely. Tesla was hit with the triple whammy back in March with a forced factory close down, trying to make Q1 production numbers and all the issues normally faced when mass producing a new car model. More recent builds have been markedly better, my car will be built in August.. so I'm expecting very few quality issues. The good thing is I'm literally 10 miles from a brand new Tesla Service Center (Smithtown, NY) that is opening this month, so I won't have to go far to pick up my car and/or get repairs done.
I also have read all the BS regarding obvious flaws that Tesla has been claiming are "within Spec" and refusing to remediate for new buyers. I have absolutely no problem rejecting a car if it's presented with issues that Tesla will not agree to (in writing) to fix to my satisfaction. I'm working from home currently and we also have two spare cars in the driveway no being used, so I'm not hard up for a ride.

·
Registered
417 Posts
I can't get over the fact that the Tesla ($49.9k) is literally 2.5x the cost of the Bolt ($19.5k). Wonder what one could do with 2 1/2 Bolts...

·
Registered
85 Posts
Yeah but, the swooning press says Tesla is 5 yrs ahead of all the other EV's on the road with their induction motors and cylindrical battery cells! That's worth something, no?:rolleyes:

Plus we get news reports weekly of "Elon says....."
How many of those work out?

·
Registered
471 Posts
I am going to miss Android Auto and the heated steering wheel, but neither of those are deal breakers for me.
I have considered the Y, but for now I am happy with my Bolt. The surround view on the Bolt is a feature I would miss the most. I understand Tesla has a similar function now but not the real 360 degree view. Please comment on how it compares to the Bolt's surround view.

·
Registered
1,931 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Check for promised amount arrived today via Fedex as scheduled :giggle:

Overall I give Vroom a B+ and would use them again if their offer was substantially higher than the other car buying services.

·
Registered
471 Posts
Vroom offered $3k more than Carvana and Carmax.
I just got quotes from Carvana and Vroom and the Carvana was $934 more. Looks like it varies a lot based on where you live, date, etc. The last car I sold to Carvana kept increasing in value for about 3 months until I was ready to sell it.

·
Registered
2017 Chevrolet Bolt EV Premier w/ driver confidence 2 and infotainment packages in Silver Mist
124 Posts
Carvana offered me $1700 more than anyone else for the 2013 Volt premium I got rid of to switch to a Bolt. I went ahead and ordered a ‘17 Bolt premier although I could get similar locally for a grand less. When my car arrived it was flawless other than 2 very small rock chips on the leading edge of the hood.

On another note: driving around Silicon Valley one sees whole herds of car-carrier semi’s loaded with Tesla’s as they go out to expectant owners. And then driving by the Fremont factory on I-880 you see strange things like circus tents where they are assembling cars in the parking lot. Completed cars are everywhere else in the surrounding industrial area because there’s no parking left at the factory.

And then you see the body panel gaps and know why.
Im sure the Texas assembly line can’t be built soon enough. The old GM factory re-named Numi Fremont never worked out for the Prism either.

I think I’ll wait until Tesla gets their act together. Very impressive car built by very overworked employees is why they made the worst initial quality list.
I hope you get a good one.

1 - 20 of 31 Posts