Chevy Bolt EV Forum banner

21 - 31 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
1,415 Posts
I can't get over the fact that the Tesla ($49.9k) is literally 2.5x the cost of the Bolt ($19.5k). Wonder what one could do with 2 1/2 Bolts...
Deciding to buy a new car is seldom about the money and almost never about need; it's all about the wants. We wanted a BEV early on, but had a paid-for ICE in the garage. No matter how I did the numbers, a new $37,000 BEV would never be cost-effective for our limited use. Finally, we just bought the Bolt anyway and have loved it. Wanting the BEV experience overcame cost-based-need.

I have a relative who's been in the retail car business for thirty years. His take is, "We'd starve if people only bought the vehicle they actually need and only when they absolutely have to have a replacement car. Selling the dream is where the profit is."

jack vines

·
Registered
232 Posts
Sold the 2017 Bolt for $19.5K

Vroom offered $3k more than Carvana and Carmax. The payment is not instant with Vroom, they picked up the car 5pm Sat and today I got the fedex tracking number for my check arriving on Tues. All in all it was pretty easy, not as easy as Carvana where you get the check on the spot, but for $3k more.. I can wait three days.
Weird. I see a red Bolt Premier with Driver Conf II and 43.6k miles on Vroom right now for $19,230. The pricing doesn't seem to make sense...

·
Registered
2017 Bolt Premier
252 Posts
My Bolt (as confirmed by my VIN) is on there for $21,410... no pic as of yet:

Doesn't seem like a whole lot of profit for them. I might have to look them up when/if I make a similar upgrade!

·
Registered
492 Posts
I can't get over the fact that the Tesla ($49.9k) is literally 2.5x the cost of the Bolt ($19.5k). Wonder what one could do with 2 1/2 Bolts...
You can use the half Bolt as a trailer. :D

·
Registered
38 Posts
Am I the only one who thinks seeing a Bolt on a trailer being hauled away as one of the saddest things ever? Almost teared up.

·
Registered
20 Posts
After all the GM incentives, year end clearance, tax credit, etc. My new 2019 LT in white with DCFC was $20,692 total before tax and tags. Price is a factor, folks! The Teslas are great cars, and Elon kicked GMs butt into believing that there is demand for EVs, but if I had to pay 50 - 60k for a Tesla, well I wouldn't!

·
Registered
417 Posts
Deciding to buy a new car is seldom about the money and almost never about need; it's all about the wants. We wanted a BEV early on, but had a paid-for ICE in the garage. No matter how I did the numbers, a new $37,000 BEV would never be cost-effective for our limited use. Finally, we just bought the Bolt anyway and have loved it. Wanting the BEV experience overcame cost-based-need.
That's certainly fair. I sort of went through the same analysis of getting a secondhand Spark EV vs. Bolt. I ultimately decided the Bolt was worth >4x the Spark.

But somehow the calculations for the Tesla just don't convince me the same way. Perhaps if Elon were less of narcissistic nut, it'd be easier to swallow.

·
Registered
1,931 Posts
Discussion Starter #31
Am I the only one who thinks seeing a Bolt on a trailer being hauled away as one of the saddest things ever? Almost teared up.
As luck had it, one of my best friends and his wife just happen to stop over 10 min before the transporter arrived, and then my wife happened to get off work early.. so I had friends and family there when they took my car away. I admit it was sad/strange looking at the driveway Sunday morning... I have to use my kid's 330i gasser (with leaky A/C) till my Tesla is ready. One positive is that I enjoy the 330i handling vs. the Bolt.. rear wheel drive, no torque steer and no body roll going fast around corners.

21 - 31 of 31 Posts