Chevy Bolt EV Forum banner

What type of car are your trading for a Bolt?

• I'm trading from a gasoline/diesel car.

Votes: 56 49.6%
  • I'm trading from a hybrid gasoline car.

Votes: 17 15.0%
  • I'm trading from a a plug in gasoline hybrid car.

Votes: 15 13.3%
  • I'm trading from another BEV.

Votes: 23 20.4%
  • This is my first car.

Votes: 2 1.8%

• Total voters
1 - 20 of 95 Posts

·
Super Moderator
2,564 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just wondering out of the people here anyhow, how many are actually trading from a gas powered car to a BEV, or just coming from some other plug in. I'm kind of wondering how much the Bolt is really advancing adoption of EVs vs. just an upgrade for current devotees.

·
Registered
6 Posts
No trade in - will hold on to my old Volvo.

I have only driven two Volvos since 1974.

My son-in-law gave me this Christmas Present: A license plate holder

"I'd rather be driving my old Volvo".

We all got a good laugh but not sure I will be using it on my new Bolt EV yet to be purchased. Maybe for a short time - Maybe-...

·
Registered
14 Posts
I just sold my 09 Volkswagen TDi back to VW. My replacement is a BMW X5 CPO diesel. But the Bolt looks very interesting if it can be leased here at an affordable price. I have over $3000 in legacy GM Card money toward a new GM purchase or lease.

·
Registered
4,802 Posts
I'm currently driving a 2012 Prius C and am planning to upgrade to a Bolt EV sometime this summer. I call the Prius a "gateway drug" to EV adoption because it gives you just a little taste of driving in electric mode - but it starts up its ICE at almost the slightest provocation. That's fine, it's really an efficient ICE vehicle and not an electric car - but I find myself trying to drive to minimize ICE usage. That tends to be very frustrating, and I'm really looking forward to a vehicle I can drive the way I want to that won't burn any gas at all. And since I live in an area where virtually all electricity production is hydroelectric it means being able to drive virtually free of fossil fuels altogether.

·
Registered
46 Posts
Trading in a very tired 2001 Volvo wagon with 192,000 on the clock. Been looking to reduce my carbon foot print for quite a while but waiting for the right car. I think the Bolt is it

·
Registered
26 Posts
Aston Martin V8 Vantage and BMW 650i. Need to repent from all the carbon i've been putting into the air the past several years.

·
Registered
172 Posts
I've been driving a 2013 Leaf SV for almost 4 years. Before that a '95 Civic EX and a '95 Camry LE four. I'd almost forgotten what real acceleration feels like in a car.

·
Super Moderator
2,564 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
1998 Lexus LS400. One of the best cars ever made. Not tired at all. :)
Aston Martin V8 Vantage and BMW 650i. Need to repent from all the carbon i've been putting into the air the past several years.
You guys are going to be disappointed. The fit, finish, materials and level of luxury in the Bolt is no where near what you're used to.

·
Super Moderator
2,067 Posts
You guys are going to be disappointed. The fit, finish, materials and level of luxury in the Bolt is no where near what you're used to.
Well, knowing they are going from luxury brands to a Chevy, they are hopefully prepared for the less-polished interior. ;)

·
Registered
26 Posts
I've already driven one, and loved it - a part of the appeal to me is actually not having to deal with constant leather/interior upkeep and having something i'm not super self-conscious about being perfect. It was pretty quiet and inherently refined feeling due to the modern EV powertrain, and the suspension also soaked up bumps much better than any of the cars i've owned before (all German/Japanese) - the one thing to me that US cars often really have going for them.

The fit/finish was surprisingly not bad, I just wish it didn't feel so narrow inside with another passenger, and that the plastics were a bit nicer, and the seats were leatherette/more interesting like the i3.

I do feel that within 2-3 years, there are going to be quite a few good affordable full EV options that this may be the first/last Chevy/GM product I own.

·
Registered
3 Posts
I converted a 1968 MGB/GT to electric drive three years ago, it is my daily driver but gets only 75 miles per charge and has no heating/cooling. I just ordered a Bolt to be able to go on trips and generally ride around in comfort.

·
Super Moderator
2,564 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
I converted a 1968 MGB/GT to electric drive three years ago, it is my daily driver but gets only 75 miles per charge and has no heating/cooling. I just ordered a Bolt to be able to go on trips and generally ride around in comfort.
Cool project. What kind of batteries do you use in it? Are they conversion kits you can buy, or did you engineer it all yourself?

Not just comfort, but also safety! I have been a long time fan of vintage cars and used to drive them as daily drivers too. I tell people though that old 50's and 60's cars are really fun and cool, but a big downside is, you crash, get mangled and got to the hospital the same way as they did back in the 50's and 60's. I have never been in a crash in any of my cars, but if I had, it would have been brutal.

·
Registered
368 Posts
Well, I've seen and sat in one at an auto show, so I know what I'm getting into in that regard. Fit and finish seemed fine - perhaps not up to the old Lexus standards, but far above Tesla level. >:) I do wish interior materials and comfort were nicer, but really the only thing that annoyed me was the hard plastic door - I rest my left elbow on the door (arm rests are always too low), and may need some kind of minor modification there.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Cool project. What kind of batteries do you use in it? Are they conversion kits you can buy, or did you engineer it all yourself?

Not just comfort, but also safety! I have been a long time fan of vintage cars and used to drive them as daily drivers too. I tell people though that old 50's and 60's cars are really fun and cool, but a big downside is, you crash, get mangled and got to the hospital the same way as they did back in the 50's and 60's. I have never been in a crash in any of my cars, but if I had, it would have been brutal.
I engineered the overall design, used thirty six 180 AH CALB LiFePO4 batteries, bought the motor and controller from HPEVS, kept the original transmission. The MGB/GT was my first new car and I love driving it; however, when I test drove the Bolt I was really impressed by the car's handling, performance, driver's visibility, and internal spaciousness.

1 - 20 of 95 Posts