Chevy Bolt EV Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I reset my trip meter yesterday morning, drove 35 miles and when I parked my 2020 Bolt it showed my efficiency as 4.2M/kWh. The outside temperature was 62F. I was planning to do a lot of driving today, so I set the target charge level to 100%. The projected range at full charge was 218 miles. When I turned on the car this morning, at fully charged, it was showing the same 218 miles of estimated range with a max range estimate of 257 miles.

My question is, how far back does the GOM look when calculating estimated range? If it just uses the most recent driving, I would have expected at least the 259 miles of EPA rated range. If it goes back a few hundred miles, the 218 miles makes sense due to a recent cold spell and liberal use of the heater.

My car has just under 2,000 miles on it, no fast charging yet and I typically charge to 90% on the average day.

·
Registered
891 Posts
This is the time of year when my GOM can't make up its mind. My estimated range varies wildly because some days I run with AC and some days I open the window and turn the AC off. As an example, my estimated range after my 80% charge has been 212 miles for months because I always leave the AC on and the same settings. 2 days ago I turned the AC off and opened the windows. GOM immediately went from 212 to 250 miles. Just before I got home, I turned the AC back on before I shut the car off and after my next 80% charge, the GOM showed 189 miles of range.

It seems to over/under estimate when you fool with the climate settings and even if you return to prior settings, it takes it a while to stabilize.

Mike

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
This is the time of year when my GOM can't make up its mind. My estimated range varies wildly because some days I run with AC and some days I open the window and turn the AC off. As an example, my estimated range after my 80% charge has been 212 miles for months because I always leave the AC on and the same settings. 2 days ago I turned the AC off and opened the windows. GOM immediately went from 212 to 250 miles. Just before I got home, I turned the AC back on before I shut the car off and after my next 80% charge, the GOM showed 189 miles of range.

It seems to over/under estimate when you fool with the climate settings and even if you return to prior settings, it takes it a while to stabilize.

Mike
I thought my use of the heater might have something to do with it. I have been playing with the heater recently to see how much it impacts range. I didn't use it at all yesterday, but I cranked it quite a bit throughout the week.

·
791 Posts
My guess is it uses 50 miles of history that matches the histogram. Just a guess.
I think it is more than 50 miles. My pre-covid commute was 130 miles RT. I would tend to see 2-3 days of trending as the temps changed. So, as it got colder, and efficiency dropped, it would take 2-3 days before the GOM settled on a new norm. As temp rose, 2-3 days to settle on a new, higher norm.

That would indicate maybe something closer to 500 miles of recent driving efficiency being averaged in with the EPA estimated 3.98 or whatever.

·
791 Posts
I thought my use of the heater might have something to do with it. I have been playing with the heater recently to see how much it impacts range. I didn't use it at all yesterday, but I cranked it quite a bit throughout the week.
The heater most definitely impacts driving efficiency. It seems to be recent history averaged with the EPA efficiency times the energy stored in the pack (which tends to be lower in colder temps) that goes into GOM calculations.

·
Registered
4 Posts
I reset my trip meter yesterday morning, drove 35 miles and when I parked my 2020 Bolt it showed my efficiency as 4.2M/kWh. The outside temperature was 62F. I was planning to do a lot of driving today, so I set the target charge level to 100%. The projected range at full charge was 218 miles. When I turned on the car this morning, at fully charged, it was showing the same 218 miles of estimated range with a max range estimate of 257 miles.

My question is, how far back does the GOM look when calculating estimated range? If it just uses the most recent driving, I would have expected at least the 259 miles of EPA rated range. If it goes back a few hundred miles, the 218 miles makes sense due to a recent cold spell and liberal use of the heater.

My car has just under 2,000 miles on it, no fast charging yet and I typically charge to 90% on the average day.

I just had my bolt recalculated because of the recall
I did not realize the recacukpation meat that the range dropped by 10% from 306 (fully charged) to 270

I am in Florida abd do ot use myheatewr or have hills to goup and down

1 - 7 of 7 Posts