Chevy Bolt EV Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

Registered
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
All... A bit of good news... I wasn't sure if this comment should be under charging, or software, or general, but I'll post it here.

tl/dr - the recall temporary patch by GM seems to improve TOU charging.

BACKGROUND:

I brought my 2017 down to Gulf Breeze FL (near Pensacola) to what we jokingly call our "southern estate" via car carrier. This home does not (yet?) have a Level 2 charger installed but it does have time of use (TOU) discounted billing from the local utility company.

As a result I am again on 110v charging (Lev 1), as I was when the car was purchased new in Colorado. To make sure that I get the best rate on 110v, once here I programmed in my low, medium and high rates for weekday/weekend and summer/winter in the Bolt energy screen.

I had been irritated with 110v Lev 1 charging in Colorado because IF the car started charging during the programmed low rate time AND the car was not yet fully charged THEN the car would keep charging until full. Which meant that I was paying higher rates, maybe even the highest. (This I resolved in Colorado when I installed an AV Level 2 EVSU as my charging time was faster.)

I was NOT looking forward to having to wake up and unplug the car here in Florida to prevent higher rate charging.

WHAT CHANGED:

Yes, my 2017 received the recall notice. Yes, I could have just selected hilltop but I chose to go to the local dealer -- Sandy Sansing Chevrolet in Pensacola. Yes, typical Chevrolet experience... the service rep hadn't seen or drove a Bolt, and they had one service tech trained on EVs. I resigned myself to an hour and a half wait for a 10-minute software update.

When I received the car, I checked: while I was still on software version 14.5.0 and I could see that Hilltop Reserve was gone, which verified that the update was completed. The update seemed to wipe out some of my energy settings (home location for one), but I was pleased to see that my TOU programmed hours were still there. Once home, after resetting my home location I plugged it in for a night of L1 charging.

THE GOOD NEWS:

The next morning, I checked the myChevy app and saw that my miles had increased overnight (up to 3/4 "tank"), but it was not actively charging at 7:00 AM... which was good.

As I had no place that required me to drive that day, I left it plugged in.

For the second night, while i did not check if it started charging at 11:00PM, I did wake (by chance) at 5:30 AM and saw (via app) that the car was charging. Checking again at 6:03 AM I saw that while the Bolt battery was not yet full AND the car had stopped charging again. As it should.

So... while the battery pack may not be charging to 100% since the recall update, it IS now charging correctly using the programmed TOU energy settings and (as I had selected) ONLY charging during the lowest rate times.

SIDEBAR COMMENT:

As I am only going locally around here, 110v home charging may be enough without going through the cost of installing L2 charging.

My longest drive will likely be from Pensacola FL to Mobile AL, a 3-hour RT, to get to Costco. Last time I did that, I returned with 11 miles on the battery, so I may have to take it very gingerly on the next trip. And no, no charger in the Costco parking lot... and no, almost no L2 charger in a three-hour drive radius. Forget DCFC. But that is the pleasures of living in LA... Lower Alabama. 馃檮

Reactions: NewsCoulomb

Registered
My longest drive will likely be from Pensacola FL to Mobile AL, a 3-hour RT, to get to Costco. Last time I did that, I returned with 11 miles on the battery, so I may have to take it very gingerly on the next trip. And no, no charger in the Costco parking lot... and no, almost no L2 charger in a three-hour drive radius. Forget DCFC. But that is the pleasures of living in LA... Lower Alabama. 馃檮
Looks like you might have a couple of options including an EA location very close to your "southern estate" :cool:

Registered
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Looks like you might have a couple of options including an EA location very close to your "southern estate" :cool:
I did my search looking for DCFC, which is one in Pensacola, at the H-D dealership, and even then at 25amp.

Yes, there are more at Level 2, but i see that as an emergency only situation. Who has hours at some place when not doing overnight.

I had considered driving it down from CO, but quickly gave up on the idea.

Registered
@zebraitis , sorry if I was not clear. I was proposing that you charge for a few minutes at the EA in pensacola, not the HD dealer, I linked above on your return from Costco, or that you used one of the many level 2 for an hour or so while having lunch or dinner after your Costco run before heading home. I wouldn't assume that you would want to charge to full on a level 2 if you only needed an additional few miles to feel comfortable with the round trip.

Registered
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I apprecaite that, but I think that is getting away from the real intent of the post, which was:That there is an upside to the battery recall temporary update and that improvement is that TOU charging actually works as it should. Something three years late but still nice to see.

Reactions: wonderbolt

Registered
Discussion Starter · #6 · (Edited)
My final comment on charging after having had Recall N202311730 fix applied:

The 2017 Bolt again started charging at the right time (11:00PM) to benefit from TOU discounted billing rates.

It stopped charging once it achieved a 95% charge rate.

Interesting thing to note: The recall itself states:

Safety Risk
If the batteries in select vehicles within this population are charged to full capacity, or very close to full capacity, the batteries may pose a risk of fire.

RemedyAs an interim remedy, dealers will reprogram the hybrid propulsion control module 2 (HPCM2) to limit full charge to 90%.

(my bold and underline applied.)

So, that either means:

1) That the applied software fix, allowing the car to charge to 95% of "full" charge, indicates that Chevy only intended the Bolt as designed and built to be charged to 95% of its true capacity to begin with. So, GM's original 95% charge is what we considered a 100% full charge as owners. And the fix lops of another approximate 5% from that, allowing our new "full" to be a displayed 95%.

2) OR... GM put out a fix that does not actually follow their own recommendations and overcharges the vehicle past the 90% charge that they (GM and the recall) state.

Without knowing, my best guess is that the answer is #1.

But if #1 is the answer, and the battery only charged to 95% full capacity to begin with... then the Bolt was never really charged to "full capacity" to begin with... and that the reason for the recall is possibly misstated.

After all, if the logic for the recall (paraphrased) is: " Well, if you blast the batteries full, that can lead to a problem"... then this is not the problem. Unless 95% was (or is) a trigger... which doesn't make sense either, as I have been charging this thing to my accessible full capacity nearly all the time for 3 years.

So, in the end, I sincerely hope that this does address and reduce the risk while GM looks for the actual root cause.

But in the meantime, my irritation with GM's Bolt TOU charging appears to finally have been fixed.

Registered
It stopped charging once it achieved a 95% charge rate.

GM put out a fix that does not actually follow their own recommendations and overcharges the vehicle past the 90% charge that they (GM and the recall) state.
We have had different members report different reported SOC, from car or app. However, we have had several members report less regen, and at least one report an average cell voltage of 4.1x volts, if my memory is correct. I can't find that post now, but at the time I looked at my Torque Pro screen saves from hilltop, and they were all 4.0x volts

Registered
2019 Bolt & 2015 Spark EV
SIDEBAR COMMENT:

My longest drive will likely be from Pensacola FL to Mobile AL, a 3-hour RT, to get to Costco. Last time I did that, I returned with 11 miles on the battery, so I may have to take it very gingerly on the next trip.
I apprecaite that, but I think that is getting away from the real intent of the post, which was:That there is an upside to the battery recall temporary update and that improvement is that TOU charging actually works as it should.
Lead by example.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts