21 - 37 of 37 Posts

·
Registered
986 Posts
Ack! I just accepted a buyback.

·
Registered
1,757 Posts
But they make parts for existing older cars ? No?
Parts for older cars may be of a different newer design, but compatible with the older car.

LG and GM have no incentive to make the older battery cells, since (a) it would mean more logistics to deal with starting up production of an obsolete design, and (b) the newer cells are probably less expensive to make.

·
Registered
789 Posts
So, accepting a buyback: Is it better than waiting for a battery replacement or not? Do we go to buying a newer Bolt EV or EUV or go a Tesla or Mustang, or one of the other less interesting competitors? We won't know that until we know the full costs and conditions and timing of the battery replacement, and even then..... ? The Bolt EV is aging, competitors are catching up. What fun!

·
Registered
251 Posts
I just read this on the my.chevrolet.com account page, so they are indeed extending the warranties:

General Motors warrants new or refurbished advanced propulsion batteries installed under Recall N212343881 against defects in material or workmanship for the warranty coverage period of 8 Years/100,000 Miles (whichever comes first). GM will repair or replace the part, in its sole discretion, at no charge if the part fails due to a defect in material or workmanship during the warranty coverage period. (Note: Labor is also covered if installed by a GM EV Dealer.) This BOLT Limited Parts Warranty is an extension to the original equipment warranty and begins at the time of installation.

·
Registered
162 Posts
hope the guy at the dealership that rips out the rear seat to electrically disconnect the battery and then the coolant and hoses and then . . . sure hope it all goes back in the same way the factory did it. Have no faith in the dealership mechanics, you don't even meet the guy who disassembles your car. Hope your Bolt is not his first.

·
Registered
1,467 Posts
hope the guy at the dealership that rips out the rear seat to electrically disconnect the battery and then the coolant and hoses and then . . . sure hope it all goes back in the same way the factory did it. Have no faith in the dealership mechanics, you don't even meet the guy who disassembles your car. Hope your Bolt is not his first.
Technicians aren't always the most people-oriented. Some of the best techs I have ever worked with are people I would NEVER let speak to a customer face to face. ;)

·
Registered
162 Posts
I've hired more technical support technicians than I can remember, a bench tech needs little people skills agreed. A field service tech needs a lot more people skills. So what? My initial point was that Bolts are new technology. ICE mechanics are not used to dealing with high voltage and the technology the Bolt posses. Point remains lots of work on lots of Bolts by inexperienced techs to fix problems that shouldn't be there in the first place. Yes, techs are going to be a lot more familiar with battery replacements after they do 10 or 20. But I rather mine not be the first or second the tech is doing. Fortunately, when this battery problem hit the news last year I immediately took the GM buy out on my 2017 and bought another 2019 blue bolt premier with the US battery. Overall I made out like a bandit. The 2019 bolt has 8500 miles on it when I got it. Point still remains, I'd rather the dealership didn't disassemble my car unless absolutely necessary. In this case, it absolutely necessary. Good luck to the first few who have it done, that's all.

·
Registered
1,467 Posts
I've hired more technical support technicians than I can remember, a bench tech needs little people skills agreed. A field service tech needs a lot more people skills. So what? My initial point was that Bolts are new technology. ICE mechanics are not used to dealing with high voltage and the technology the Bolt posses. Point remains lots of work on lots of Bolts by inexperienced techs to fix problems that shouldn't be there in the first place. Yes, techs are going to be a lot more familiar with battery replacements after they do 10 or 20. But I rather mine not be the first or second the tech is doing. Fortunately, when this battery problem hit the news last year I immediately took the GM buy out on my 2017 and bought another 2019 blue bolt premier with the US battery. Overall I made out like a bandit. The 2019 bolt has 8500 miles on it when I got it. Point still remains, I'd rather the dealership didn't disassemble my car unless absolutely necessary. In this case, it absolutely necessary. Good luck to the first few who have it done, that's all.
My comment about techs was in regard to you mentioning that you do not even meet the guy working on your car. Sometimes you just don't want to meet them. ;)

·
Registered
37 Posts
So, accepting a buyback: Is it better than waiting for a battery replacement or not? Do we go to buying a newer Bolt EV or EUV or go a Tesla or Mustang, or one of the other less interesting competitors? We won't know that until we know the full costs and conditions and timing of the battery replacement, and even then..... ? The Bolt EV is aging, competitors are catching up. What fun!
I test drove a E-Mustang before my buyback was completed. If I would have known the 2021 was to be recalled I may have purchased the Mustang rather than the Bolt. The E-Mustang is a nicer car. It, in my mind is a direct competitor to the Model-Y. Definitely worth a look.

·
Registered
1,126 Posts
I test drove a E-Mustang before my buyback was completed. If I would have known the 2021 was to be recalled I may have purchased the Mustang rather than the Bolt. The E-Mustang is a nicer car. It, in my mind is a direct competitor to the Model-Y. Definitely worth a look.
Even if the Mach-E uses the same cells as GM, the Ford car will be safer for fires. GM uses about a 2 kWh buffer capacity for their car. The Mach-E is 8 kWh buffer for the short range and 10 kWh buffer for their larger battery. Ford is putting a lot less stress on the same battery. GM tried to match Tesla before the technology was ready...

21 - 37 of 37 Posts