Chevy Bolt EV Forum banner
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
2020 Bolt Ev Premier
129 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So, I sold my 2020 Bolt EV premiere yesterday. I owed $27k and they offered $25.5k. I couldn’t refuse. Especially, after driving the 2021 Kona EV Ultimate. Spoiler alert, I ended up getting the Kona EV.
things I will miss about the Bolt:
360 view, true one pedal driving and the rear view mirror. Such great features every car should have as standard.
Things I love about the Kona:
Adaptive Cruise Control and lane centering ( no more ping pong effect ) I drove nearly 5 miles to my house and only touched the steering wheel when I had to let the system know I was still there. Pretty sweet.
Ventilated seats, comfortable seats, powers driver seats with a lot of adjustments to make them that much more comfortable, sunroof, heads up display, nearly double the DC charging speed, the ability to select the temperature you want with remote start, a noticeable reduction in road noise and well, the list goes on.
To be honest, the Bolt is a fantastic car, I loved owning it and I will miss the features I stated above.

Fair well Nebula, you treated me well.

·
Registered
2020 Bolt LT
368 Posts
I like the Bolt but miss many of the featured that you have mentioned, it is because I have had such features in other cars. Namely, HUD, adaptive cruise, lane keep and of course power seats and sunroof :)
I bought the bolt when heavy discounts were in place for the 2020 model. paid $20K+ tax. For the money, it is an excellent car as is.
Thanks for sharing your experience with the Kona EV. It will be on my list.

·
Registered
3 Posts
So, I sold my 2020 Bolt EV premiere yesterday. I owed $27k and they offered $25.5k. I couldn’t refuse. Especially, after driving the 2021 Kona EV Ultimate. Spoiler alert, I ended up getting the Kona EV.
things I will miss about the Bolt:
360 view, true one pedal driving and the rear view mirror. Such great features every car should have as standard.
Things I love about the Kona:
Adaptive Cruise Control and lane centering ( no more ping pong effect ) I drove nearly 5 miles to my house and only touched the steering wheel when I had to let the system know I was still there. Pretty sweet.
Ventilated seats, comfortable seats, powers driver seats with a lot of adjustments to make them that much more comfortable, sunroof, heads up display, nearly double the DC charging speed, the ability to select the temperature you want with remote start, a noticeable reduction in road noise and well, the list goes on.
To be honest, the Bolt is a fantastic car, I loved owning it and I will miss the features I stated above.

Fair well Nebula, you treated me well.
Sorry, but the Kona EV has the same drivetrain and same battery issues as the Bolt, and has been discontinued in South Korea as an apparent result. Good luck with your new vehicle.

·
Registered
2020 Bolt Ev Premier
129 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I like the Bolt but miss many of the featured that you have mentioned, it is because I have had such features in other cars. Namely, HUD, adaptive cruise, lane keep and of course power seats and sunroof :)
I bought the bolt when heavy discounts were in place for the 2020 model. paid $20K+ tax. For the money, it is an excellent car as is.
Thanks for sharing your experience with the Kona EV. It will be on my list.
Wow! You got a steal of a deal when you picked yours up! I agree, it’s hard to beat when you pick one up at that price.

·
Registered
2020 Bolt Ev Premier
129 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Sorry, but the Kona EV has the same drivetrain and same battery issues as the Bolt, and has been discontinued in South Korea as an apparent result. Good luck with your new vehicle.
Actually, the 2021 models and newer have different batteries and they are still being sold in the US. Hyundai announced they have no plans of discontinuing the Kona EV. The 2021 models and newer are not built by LG Chem. Big plus as well, my car has a heat pump. Where I live it’s going to be super beneficial.

·
Registered
332 Posts
I have both a Bolt and a Kona EV, they're both great cars. This guys review is about spot on. Really they're like the same car and the Kona is just a slightly cooler slightly better working vehicle.

I find the one-pedal infuriating why not give me the option? It's a software thing and you're literally going through effort to force it to not be true one pedal. Just give me the power, I'm not a baby.

·
Registered
10,179 Posts
Actually, the 2021 models and newer have different batteries

The 2021 models and newer are not built by LG Chem.
I can't find anything to support your claim. Every source says these are still LG pouch cells. but they are now coming from their Korean plant, rather than the Chinese one. That fact would give me no comfort at all. :(

·
Registered
146 Posts
Kona is only available in a few states! They are not cheap as far as MSRP but they still have the Fed Tax Credit.

Reactions: RacerX00

·
Registered
332 Posts
Kona is only available in a few states! They are not cheap as far as MSRP but they still have the Fed Tax Credit.
All true things that people should consider. I will say on the value side clearly GM is trying to make the Bolt EUV the same value as the Kona EV without that $7,500 credit so to me it's kind of a wash. Lease deals on Konas can be crazy, I'm paying $168 / mo. with only paying fees and taxes up front.

·
Registered
2020 Bolt Ev Premier
129 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I'm paying $168 / mo. with only paying fees and taxes up front.
I can't find anything to support your claim. Every source says these are still LG pouch cells. but they are now coming from their Korean plant, rather than the Chinese one. That fact would give me no comfort at all. :(
I’ll see if I can find it. The salesman Emilio pulled up a forum on his phone and showed me while I was at a red light. I was talking about the fires during the test drive.
if I can’t substantiate it, I’ll delete the comment. From what I personally researched, I’ve found that Hyundai now visually inspects all batteries and hasn’t had a fire in any vehicle made after April 2020.

·
Registered
10,179 Posts
I’ll see if I can find it. The salesman Emilio pulled up a forum on his phone and showed me while I was at a red light. I was talking about the fires during the test drive.
if I can’t substantiate it, I’ll delete the comment. From what I personally researched, I’ve found that Hyundai now visually inspects all batteries and hasn’t had a fire in any vehicle made after April 2020.
Still have to ask yourself why they have stopped selling them in Korea. Out of "an abundance of caution?"

·
Registered
2020 Bolt Ev Premier
129 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Still have to ask yourself why they have stopped selling them in Korea. Out of "an abundance of caution?"
I think it’s a genius marketing plan. The Ionic 5 sales are going to sky rocket with this approach. However, I also believe removing the product then re releasing it when they’ve proven to have solved the problem will get a boost in sales as well. I predict it’s back in their home field by 3rd or 4th quarter 2022.

·
Registered
81 Posts
I see that they lowered the MSRP of the 2022 basic SEL model Kona to $34,000 from $38,575 in 2021. That's still more than the $32K for the 2022 Bolt 1LT, but the Kona EV still gets the $7500 federal tax credit making it a very good deal.

Hyundai has dropped the Ultimate model, and the Limited is still very pricey at $42,500. They do add some nice features to the Limited over the SEL, but I don't see enough to justify that price IMO.

·
Registered
332 Posts
I can substantiate some of this. Notice the Niro EV does not have fire problems and uses the exact same drive train as the Kona EV. The only major difference between the two cars is the manufacturer of the battery pack, it's even the same battery pack design. The difference between Hyundai and GM's responses is Hyundai moved away from LG Chem as a manufacturer of their batteries at that point and GM doubled down on LG Chem.

Assuming it's a manufacturing issue which everyone all around, Hyundai, GM, LG, everyone, seems to agree, it does seem at least plausible that Hyundai has responsibly and adequately fixed the problem by moving away from a negligent manufacturer and you should look at a recalled or new Kona no differently than you would a Niro EV. Pretty random fire free.

...or it could be some kind of design issue. But again, no one seems to be speculating that anywhere.

·
Registered
332 Posts
Hyundai has dropped the Ultimate model, and the Limited is still very pricey at $42,500. They do add some nice features to the Limited over the SEL, but I don't see enough to justify that price IMO.
Yeah I can explain that, so there's a niche market that wants an economy car with luxury. The upper end Bolts and Konas are meant to cater to those people while this cheaper segment is the beginnings of normal people cars with normal people features. Both Hyundai and Kona are not shy about talking about the pricing strategies as it's part of their marketing training and such.

If the Fiesta ST still existed and you gave it the features of a Mercedes S Class it would cost $42,000 too. That's what these top end Konas and Bolts are, essentially. The friggin Kona cools your butt.

·
Registered
10,179 Posts

·
Registered
10,179 Posts
I read it wrong. It’s after a full replacement they check the battery visually.
It says they are getting a software update, and physically inspecting battery packs when they take them out during recall. Seeing a problem inside a cell, inside a module suggests Hyundai was talking out their sphincters.

"A report from the Korea Times earlier this month noted that a South Korean investigation made seemingly conflicting statements about the location of the alleged flaw—both referring to it as a manufacturing flaw in the cells, but also suggesting “electric problems in the battery pack assembly.”

1 - 20 of 23 Posts