Chevy Bolt EV Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
150 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well Yesterday I traded in my venerable 2012 Volt, HAL. It was a great car and totally won me over to EV's. I had my problems with the car. The 3rd day I had it,the drive battery developed a fault and required a new battery from Detroit. I had some problems with the charging system that eventually was completely replaced but GM always took care of me while the car was in the shop. In fact they have given me the best customer service I have ever received from any automaker and I've driven a lot of different makes over the years!

But those issues were definitely the exception. The quite,smooth power of the Volt was great and spoiled me for anything other that an EV. I loved the interior of the car. The tech gizmos were and the comfortable seats were great for road trips. The few things that I would have loved to have, they have added to later model years(like a hold button, more range!).

With my 110km round trip commute I averaged 1.9L/100km in the summer and 3.3L/100km in the winter. After the first winter I used heat in the cabin anytime I got below freezing. My best gas tank was 7500km and my worst in the cold of February was 640km!! On average I spent $250CAD per year on gas and about $200CAD per year on electricity! The car I had before the Volt was a diesel Smart Fortwo and I was averaging $2750cad in fuel for that! So an amazing upgrade in fuel efficiency and comfort!!

It was truly a great car.

Introducing HAL's successor, HAL2!!

And I love it!! As much as I loved the Volt, the Bolt is ticking a lot of boxes the Volt missed!! Like off the line speed! Range! I drove all over the place yesterday and I kept waiting for the Generator to kick in, of course it didn't, there isn't one!!! LOL I spent about a hour going through the settings getting it set up the way I'll like it. I really like that the charge cord plugin chirp is not done by the horn like it was on the Volt. It's much quiter now yet still gives you positive confirmation that everything is right. Driving in low is great. I love the one pedal driving!

I'm loving it and I haven't even had a chance to drive it more than a couple of hours! I'm sure great things are to come!!

·
Registered
18 Posts
Congrats on the new car. Just picked up my Bolt on Sunday, June 11th. I had a Volt premier white 2015 prior, and I'm noticing the same things as you are. The speed, how the car chirps when plugged into my EVSE. I drive in L and I can't believe how it regens so efficiently. I love the way it handles curves, and turns. So smooth in handling on the road and I haven't gone into sport mode yet. Only driven the car for a couple of hours myself so far, can't wait for a road trip!!!

·
Registered
1,931 Posts
Congrats to all you newcomers! :)
There's no doubt that you will appreciate the Bolt more and more the longer you own it.

wainair... that shot of HAL reminds me of the Sat morning I traded in my trusty 2014 Volt!
I somehow kept thinking my Volt was asking me "WHY"? as we removed the license plates and transferred them to the Bolt. I was kind of sad actually, weird right? Never felt like that about a vehicle before.
The 2014 Volt never let me down... was never ever at a dealership for any service work of any kind. I only changed the oil after two years and rotated the tires, that was it for 45k miles of driving. It was an excellent vehicle which built my trust in GM enough to purchase the Bolt.

We can only hope our Volts go to good owners who will treat them well and appreciate them as much as we did.

Congrats on your color choice for the Bolt... the Blue is super sharp!

·
Registered
150 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks for all the congrats! Yeah I'm really glad I went with the blue again. I think it looks great.

·
Registered
150 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
wainair... that shot of HAL reminds me of the Sat morning I traded in my trusty 2014 Volt!
I somehow kept thinking my Volt was asking me "WHY"? as we removed the license plates and transferred them to the Bolt. I was kind of sad actually, weird right? Never felt like that about a vehicle before.
Yeah I know what you mean. When I saw it sitting there I thought much the same thing. That is why I took the pic. Still a great car and it treated me very well! Happy for the Bolt, sad to see the Volt go. A weird mix of emotions.

·
Registered
1,031 Posts
Congratulations and the blue is an amazing color!

Has seat comfort become an issue or anything? I'm pretty sure that's the only thing there is to complain about ;)

·
Registered
150 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Congratulations and the blue is an amazing color!

Has seat comfort become an issue or anything? I'm pretty sure that's the only thing there is to complain about
There is no doubt that the seats could be a lot better but they don't bug me enough to gripe too loudly. The Volt had very plush seats so I was spoiled. With the Bolt I find if you skoot right over and make sure you are centered in the seat, it is fine. If you sit close to the door the are not so good. I understand the goal of scrubbing weight? from the car but they went too far on the seat padding.

That aside the car is fantastic! The Volt gave me some good EV driving habits and each time I turn on the car the GOM gives me a higher range estimate. This morning I started my commute with 405km indicated and ended it after 54km with 407km indicated!! Granted work is downhill from home but I was never able to stretch range like that in the Volt. The test will be how much I loose on the road home this evening!

·
Registered
1,031 Posts
Now that's really impressive! Always a good thing when you go into this with some EV etiquette so you know the ins and outs to an extent. Seems like you have some great driving habits though haha. Do you always keep it in L ?

·
Registered
150 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
With the Volt I would cycle back and forth between low and drive but I'm finding the Regen in drive on the Bolt is strong enough that I might as well drive in low all the time. It really doesn't coast like the Volt would in drive. I guess I could put it in neutral to coast but I don't like doing that. I don't think doing that it is all that safe.
I'm loving the car and learning how GM has improved the EV experience make commuting fun,.. well almost! ? Chevy really kill it at EVs!!

·
Registered
735 Posts
With the Volt I would cycle back and forth between low and drive but I'm finding the Regen in drive on the Bolt is strong enough that I might as well drive in low all the time. It really doesn't coast like the Volt would in drive. I guess I could put it in neutral to coast but I don't like doing that. I don't think doing that it is all that safe.
I'm loving the car and learning how GM has improved the EV experience make commuting fun,.. well almost! ? Chevy really kill it at EVs!!
Maybe they'll make it even more fun with a Chevy Bolt EV ZR1 ;)

·
Registered
150 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Maybe they'll make it even more fun with a Chevy Bolt EV ZR1
I'm in!! I was showing off the performance at work today and it really blew my friends away. They always want to see how fast it is so I feel I must oblige! Initially they are impressed with the acceleration but then when I keep the foot down and there are no gear changes and it keeps pulling and pulling and pulling they are blown away! They usually cry uncle too!! LoL

1 - 12 of 12 Posts