Chevy Bolt EV Forum banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
1,087 Posts
I have never cared for anything Goodyear has ever made. This looks good on paper,
but only real world testing will give us the real answer. I won't be in a rush to try it
based on my industry experience with the products they've made in the past.

·
Registered
1,569 Posts
I’ll wait for some actual reviews, but my guess is that Goodyear just sees another marketing opportunity.

I question the narrow tread grooves in an all season tire, don’t see where that will help in rain and snow.

Also, it’s neither a run flat nor a self-seal tire, and that won’t help in marketing it to Bolt owners.

·
Registered
1,167 Posts
Well I was thinking about how with the Bolt having one pedal driving feature it probably will have an impact on how fast the front tires wear. In a typical FWD car 100% of the acceleration and roughly 60% of the braking is done with the front tires. With the Bolt it's probably closer to 90% of the braking/deceleration work being done with the fronts. Now obviously if you rotate your tires like you're supposed to the tires even out but not everyone does that as often as they should.

In any case I've never been much of a fan of Goodyear tires.

Probably going to be an "all season" tire anyways.

·
Registered
786 Posts
Tire wear is mostly caused by excessive use of power steering and turning the wheels while not moving. Due to this fact (which my wife does constantly) the front tires wear out faster. If drivers took extra care when turning, their front tires will last as long as the rear tires.

BTW, Goodyear may be new to EVs but they were the first tires ever made for any vehicle. I use Goodyears on my vehicles constantly because they do last longer than the other brands, and I prefer "Touring" types for a softer ride.

·
Registered
678 Posts
If the tire actually has less weight and more traction, its a good thing. The fact that a tire manufacturer is actually recognizing this segment is IMO, a really good thing.

·
Registered
2022 Bolt EUV Cherry Red
118 Posts
The 2 most important point IMHO

Goodyear claim's that it will also help energy consumption and therefore increases range:
*Extended Mileage from Innovative Tread Design: The tread’s thinner sipes (small channels) allow for a larger rubber contact patch on the road surface than traditional radial grooves. With more rubber on the road, the tire can better cope with high levels of torque while maintaining high performance in wet conditions. The tread design also prevents sound waves from entering its grooves, reducing interior and exterior tire noise.

*High-Load-Carrying Construction: The tire cavity shape has been optimized to support the additional vehicle weight from batteries while maintaining an optimal tread footprint for high performance.

*Extended Driving Range: The material properties of the tread compound have been tuned for ultra-low rolling resistance to extend the vehicle range while coping with high levels of torque. In addition, the sidewall has been designed to reduce aerodynamic drag and the profile yields less rotating mass, resulting in reduced energy consumption.

·
Registered
678 Posts
Normally you would think a larger road contact surface would lead to higher resistance and possibly decreased range, so it must be a big gain from the type of compound they use to make the tire. I like the profile though. That tire with a lighter weight set of mags might be an easy mod to squeeze a bit of performance out.

·
Registered
1,569 Posts
Normally you would think a larger road contact surface would lead to higher resistance and possibly decreased range, so it must be a big gain from the type of compound they use to make the tire. I like the profile though. That tire with a lighter weight set of mags might be an easy mod to squeeze a bit of performance out.
Yes, or it’s just clever marketing.

Goodyear doesn’t indicate what this tire is being compared to, so claiming that it’s grippier and sturdier and longer wearing and quieter and has better rolling resistance really doesn’t really mean anything at all.

Better when compared to an “average” passenger tire?

Better when compared to the Michelin Energy Saver SelfSeal?

Better when compared to Goodyear’s top all-season P215/50R17 tire?

Nobody knows.

Also, if this tire delivers all these great performance improvements, why market it only to EVs?

The Bolt weighs about the same as many compact and mid-size cars, and it’s not the only car with plenty of torque off the line. Wouldn’t lots of cars benefit?

·
Registered
678 Posts
Goodyear doesn’t indicate what this tire is being compared to...Nobody knows.
You are right Timbolt, and the demonstration video didn't do much to answer that question either. Its the kind of thing I would be willing to try though if I needed new tires and the price was comparable. I'm gonna have to find a car to put them on first mind you:D

·
Registered
575 Posts
I wonder what the gripping performance is, esp. relative to the stock Michelins on the Bolt. I am seriously unimpressed by the Michelins: the stopping power is lousy, and I can't give my Bolt more than one quarter throttle coming off the line without lighting up the tires. The worst tires I have ever owned.

·
Registered
318 Posts
I plan on using a narrow tire with a taller side wall, I do think I might have to add a spacer to move the wheel outward so I can clear the spring base plate.

My 215/65/16's snow tires have very little clearance, less than the stock tires, I can just about get my fingers in between the base plate and the tire.

I may just buy another set of Sonic 16" wheels to use for my experiment, last set cost me 250 shipped.

·
Registered
1,167 Posts
I plan on using a narrow tire with a taller side wall, I do think I might have to add a spacer to move the wheel outward so I can clear the spring base plate.

My 215/65/16's snow tires have very little clearance, less than the stock tires, I can just about get my fingers in between the base plate and the tire.

I may just buy another set of Sonic 16" wheels to use for my experiment, last set cost me 250 shipped.
You can get brand new 15" steel wheels for a Sonic as well, you could then use 205/65-15 tires, the tires and wheels are about 10lbs lighter than my stock wheels and Kumho Ecsta PS31 tires.

http://www.chevybolt.org/forum/12-w...15-145-spare-tire-solution-test-fit-pics.html

·
Registered
13 Posts
I've grown kind of tired of the Goodyear's new tire concepts that don't ever evolve beyond that. Has anyone seen the new moss filled tires they've shown off that produce oxygen? I like the idea of 3-D printed tires though, so long as they offer the same durability and performance.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts