Chevy Bolt EV Forum banner
  • Hey Guest, welcome to ChevyBolt.org. We encourage you to register to engage in conversations about your Bolt.

Got a Bolt to keep our Spark EV company

3K views 13 replies 10 participants last post by  Jcray 
#1 ·
A week and a half ago my Mrs EMV said OK lets go look at a new Bolt and see if the seats fit us now. Way back when they first came out we had gone out shopping, checkbook in hand, only to find the worst seats I'd ever experienced so the seating was important.

We pulled into the dealer's lot and I pointed and told her that's a Bolt. Oasis Blue - we both fell in love with the color. The seats fit, the salesman (Cleo Smith at Wentworth Wilsonville) was pleasant, and the deal was good enough for me. LT, quick charge, comfort, confidence 1 & 2 for 28K. Two hours later we drove out. Now as soon as we turn our old gasser in on it's lease we are an all electric family. 2014 Spark EV and 2020 Bolt.

This is a really nice car! Stupid, stupid, stupid shifter but otherwise pretty well thought out. I'd figured this would be like the Spark on steroids but she's so much more refined. Not as quick, but still plenty quick.

This Thursday we will take her on her first trip, Portland to Eugene and back and see what kind of range we get on the open road. Looking forward to that.

Ten years ago if you'd told me I'd own two Chevys I'd have said you're crazy -- go figure.

See less See more
#10 ·
You may well be right and it's just a learning curve. I've used most every kind of shifter there is (column, floor, pushbuttons, 2gen Prius, 4 on the tree) so Ill adapt. I would still have a soft spot for pushbuttons on the dash but that might not sell well.

#6 · (Edited)
Congratulations! We are a two-car family (one Spark EV and one Toyota ICE) and would like to go all EV before too long. I find the Oasis Blue appealing.

Yes, the 2014 Spark EV owned by the OP has 400 lb-ft of torque. 2015 (like I have) and 2016 have 327 lb-ft of torque, still pretty high.

#8 ·
How about some pics of the all EV stable @emv ?

Bolt and Spark together... sweet!

#9 ·
What are people's complaints about the shifter, out of curiosity? I only have two:
  • L mode should be a switch on the dash rather than a shifter setting, so you can always be in L mode
  • Moving from L to neutral (e.g. to coast up a large hill on momentum after accelerating) is a pain in the butt

#12 ·
  • Moving from L to neutral (e.g. to coast up a large hill on momentum after accelerating) is a pain in the butt
Interesting that 21st century BEV owners still want to have to work at 20th century ICE hypermiling tricks which offer minimal real-world benefits..

FWIW, the first time I can remember any major auto magazine not being a fawning Porsche sycophant is in one of the first full road tests of the Taycan. One serious complaint was it didn't day-to-day drive nearly as well as the Tesla or the Bolt. Porsche had calculated some small improvement in range from a coasting mode, so they tried to engineer it in. Guess what? The world's best ICE engineers couldn't make a BEV to do what you're trying to do. It sorta/maybe has some benefit, but reportedly in practice is more of a PITA.

jack vines

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.