Chevy Bolt EV Forum banner
81 - 100 of 110 Posts

·
Registered
42 Posts
I am in S. Cal. Received a letter from GM about calling a dealer to schedule battery replacement. Called my local dealer and they had 4 battery replacement ahead of me scheduled last week. Dropped off my car last Friday. They said it would take ~1 week to replace the battery and the dealer has scheduled a rental for me during the process.

Hope that helps. Are you in S. Cal?
My dealer completed the battery replacement this morning for pick up. Looks like they finished in 2 to 3 days (Excluding Sunday). Hope everyone gets the battery replacement soon.

·
Registered
153 Posts
You can check your recall status in the MyChevrolet app or on the Chevrolet.com website. People on the forum have reported that they were scheduled for a battery replacement by proactively contacting their dealer once their recall status was changed in the app / website. They didn't need to wait to receive a letter from GM.
Went to the Chevrolet.com site and here's what it said for my VIN: GM is working quickly to finalize the necessary repair procedures and/or obtain parts. You will be notified via written communication when the repair procedure or parts are available. You can also check back at this website or with your preferred Certified Service Dealer.

·
Registered
171 Posts
Went to the Chevrolet.com site and here's what it said for my VIN: GM is working quickly to finalize the necessary repair procedures and/or obtain parts. You will be notified via written communication when the repair procedure or parts are available. You can also check back at this website or with your preferred Certified Service Dealer.
The "preferred dealer" thing drives me nuts. My preferred dealer is whoever is nearby that can do the work, stop making me pick a single dealer to deal with and then act all surprised when I want to use another dealer.

·
Registered
username LT
868 Posts
What you're looking for are the words at the bottom of the recall:
INCOMPLETE. REMEDY NOT YET AVAILABLE. = No battery available for you
INCOMPLETE = Battery available
When it changes to that then start calling dealers for their lead time and choose the one with the shortest. I drove 2 hours to have it 3 weeks before my closest dealer. They might deal with it all for you or they might have you call gm. Then call the gm number underneath the recall info and they will arrange it all.
You'll get the letter in the mail a few days after the change.

·
Registered
73 Posts
Yes, I think you need the letter first.
I never got anything from GM, or Chevrolet, (letter, text, e-mail) and my dealer called and said I could come and pick it up the next day. Of course, mine had "Bricked" after the second software upgrade and had been in the dealer's garage area since July 25! So about ninety days without my baby was "Oh well!"
But in addition to the inconvenience, etc. I have been really annoyed with GM/Chevy for never corresponding with me, not once, to say "Sorry your $40,000 dollar car stopped working. Not one word! Bah! Humbug!

·
Registered
171 Posts
Vex, I'm also in Houston and just had my battery replaced yesterday by Classic Chevy of Sugarland. I bought my car from them and had the intermediate software fix applied, so they had my contact info and car vin on file. A week ago I received a call from their service guy saying my vin came up in their system for battery replacement, and he wanted to see when I can bring it in. I didn't have to do any inspections prior to service, they ordered the battery, which was going to take 4-5 days, and then I brought the car in yesterday at 8am, and they called me around 4pm saying it's ready. When I picked it up the battery was fully charged. I didn't look at the new battery sticker to see what it says. My car is a 2019 LT manufactured in November 2018.
Now Sugar Land is telling me they can't get batteries. Update. The battery they said never got ordered suddenly arrived. Oh man, GM 😂

·
Registered
42 Posts
If you file before the replacement or get the notice that you can be replaced you should be fine.
FYI. I just called Repurchase Department after getting its phone number from another link in the forum. The rep told me my buy back has not been approved and buy back option is no longer valid because of the battery replacement.

Waiting for 7+ weeks for repurchase agent assignment and GM Concierge noted buy back option would still be valid after battery replacement.

Escalating to manager but for everyone's information.

·
Registered
171 Posts
2019 LT (Oct 2018 purchase). Got the letter and on 29 Oct called the dealer I bought the car from. I'm in Northern NV. They put me on the waitlist.
Fri 12th got a call that they had a battery "with my name it". They said it would be finished late on Monday. I forgot to ask how many they had done so far.
This morn, 16th, got a call to come pick it up.
Prior to the battery replacement I did not have any prior recall work done. I always charged to 80% even before the recommendation was published so saw no reason to have software forcing me to do what I already did.
First thing I checked was charge setting. It is at 80% and if increased it jumps back to 80%.
I see prior post from oldskibum that his acted the same but after a few charges now goes to 100%.
So before contacting GM I will wait and see how it goes. Based on my driving history this will be a few months. I don't do that much driving, 4k miles in 3 years.

·
Registered
6,349 Posts
2019 LT (Oct 2018 purchase). Got the letter and on 29 Oct called the dealer I bought the car from. I'm in Northern NV. They put me on the waitlist.
Fri 12th got a call that they had a battery "with my name it". They said it would be finished late on Monday. I forgot to ask how many they had done so far.
This morn, 16th, got a call to come pick it up.
Prior to the battery replacement I did not have any prior recall work done. I always charged to 80% even before the recommendation was published so saw no reason to have software forcing me to do what I already did.
First thing I checked was charge setting. It is at 80% and if increased it jumps back to 80%.
I see prior post from oldskibum that his acted the same but after a few charges now goes to 100%.
So before contacting GM I will wait and see how it goes. Based on my driving history this will be a few months. I don't do that much driving, 4k miles in 3 years.
That sounds like the Nov software update. Great to know that it takes a few charges to give back 100%. Though, with existing packs, I guess we're still stuck with recommendation of 70 mile lower limit so looks like I still cannot go cross country with the software update.

·
Registered
1,758 Posts
What happens if you lower the target charge and then raise it? I recall seeing a bug report that sometimes the target charge on 2019 refuses to be raised unless it is lowered first, then raised.

·
Registered
171 Posts
What happens if you lower the target charge and then raise it? I recall seeing a bug report that sometimes the target charge on 2019 refuses to be raised unless it is lowered first, then raised.
I went down to 75% & then back up, it flashes a few seconds and reverts to 80%. When I went down I did not leave the screen, so maybe it wasn't saved? I'll have to try again.
Meanwhile, I decided to charge w/ my lvl-2 charger. Even though it hadn't used much juice yet I thought what could it hurt? I'll see what it shows when it's done. It's initial estimate was 1h15m to charge when is quite a bit when you consider that they were already at nearly 80% when I started.

·
Registered
171 Posts
No, and the Service Rep I was dealing with was not there and the guy who released the car knew nothing.
"Prep old batterry. New Battery (includes Programming using ZFA? Field action Multimodule Coordinated Sequence, Capacity Learn".
I do wonder what "Capacity Learn" means. Anyway, but L-2 charge is now tapering and at 0.4a so in a few more minutes I will see the results.

·
Registered
1,758 Posts
No, and the Service Rep I was dealing with was not there and the guy who released the car knew nothing.
"Prep old batterry. New Battery (includes Programming using ZFA? Field action Multimodule Coordinated Sequence, Capacity Learn".
I do wonder what "Capacity Learn" means. Anyway, but L-2 charge is now tapering and at 0.4a so in a few more minutes I will see the results.
The reprogramming and capacity learn procedures are described starting at page 20 of https://static.nhtsa.gov/odi/rcl/2021/RCSB-21V560-2680.pdf . Note that page 25 says to return the vehicle to 100% charging using the touch screen interface.

·
Registered
171 Posts
I just checked the vehicle. Dash flashing light shows fully charged. Dashboard display shows fully charged. L2 app shows 0.4 amp charge and indicator light shows charging (usually when car fully charged it shows 0a and light is of). Chevy App shows it charging even though dash sez it's fully charged.
The Flow display shows 16 of 20 cells green, I think it was 15 when I started. The charge level is still 80%. Change to 75 and leave screen. Return and it is at 75. Change to 100% and leave screen and on return it is at 80% (same if I don't leave screen, jumps. back to 80% after a few seconds).
The range is now 222 mi, just above the last reference mark on the left side of the dash display. When I picked up the car it was just below that mark.

The only other thing of note is that since it's still showing 0.4a I am going to leave it charging and see what it looks like tomorrow.
Thanks for the NHTSA info, I'll check it out. But so far I cannot return to 100% using the touch screen.
As noted earlier by oldskipro, after 3 charges it returned. In normal use for me, that will take months to achieve!

·
Registered
1,179 Posts
Battery was replaced yesterday on my 2019 Bolt. Took it home today and I don't see any indication of charging being limited to 80% or whatever. Will be able to confirm in the morning.
Yep, charged to 100% (well, 96.19% raw according to the OBD-II reader).

What's less good is that it was still pulling 6A (nearly 1.5kW) two hours after charging completed. Not sure where that power was going but it seems... excessive.

·
Registered
Premier, Yo, with every goodie!
1,440 Posts
Yep, charged to 100% (well, 96.19% raw according to the OBD-II reader).

What's less good is that it was still pulling 6A (nearly 1.5kW) two hours after charging completed. Not sure where that power was going but it seems... excessive.
Interesting.
That has to be either Cell Balancing or Thermal Management System.
Is it really cold where the car is?

Either way, that 1.5kW has to stop at some point, correct? Could be a problem...
Keep us posted!

81 - 100 of 110 Posts