Chevy Bolt EV Forum banner
41 - 60 of 83 Posts

·
Registered
387 Posts
My battery replacement just finished today, and the dealer called and said I can pick it up in the morning. In the MyChevrolet app it is indicating 80% charge. Mine is a 2017 and does not have target charge setting.
Dealer fixed it and I got it back charged to 100%. The GOM is very confused though, and has to go through a relearning process. At 100% it was reading 170 miles, which was less than the original battery with HTR. Seems to be correcting itself though, after running it down 25% after 70 miles of driving, it is still reading 170 miles.

·
Registered
184 Posts
BMS has to re-learn driving history. Give it a few days of regular use to settle into things.
Do you mean a few days driving or a few times charging? I don't charge often since I am retired and don't need to commute.
After 5 weeks I did my first charge w/ 42% remaining. It stopped at 80%. Just like the original poster said.
If I try to change the charge level option, I can go only down from 80, trying to go up and it bounces back to 80%
I never had the 80% software fix installed so this was done at battery swap.

Today I called my dealer, waiting for them to return the call

·
Registered
4 Posts
So today I got my car back. It’s a 2017. They replaced the high voltage battery, and everything seemed okay. I noticed it wasn’t fully charged but attributed it to the fact that they called me before closing so I could take it home. Anyway I walk out to the car and see that with a brand new battery I only have 160 miles. I thought with the battery swap we’d be able to charge to 100 percent. Has this happened to anyone else? I’m really starting to hate Chevy.
well we had similar issues no instruction on what to expect

our non dc fast charge was charged overnight by dealer to 100% ( they wouldnt release with 60 miles) so made another trip with loaner

everything seemed fine til we tried recharging from 85% would not do it after taking to dealer and making another trip and being told by service that tech said to drive 3 full dischargebcycles

discovered at about half charge that both home and away target limits had been set to 80% reset those to 100 and allis well when wanting to fully charge for long trip

chevy dealers r really blowing this oppty to keep customers

·
Registered
201 Posts
Were I to replace Chevy--and the events of recents months along with what I see of the Mustang Mach-E and the Hyundai Ioniq 5 keep me sorely tempted--I would not give my money to a bloviating tax-dodging @ssh0le.
Good luck buying a non Tesla EV if there are more than 40 or 50 thousand interested parties (unless you buy from a Chinese company). The old manufacturers do not have batteries for much more than that right now..... mayby by 2025 they will have batteries for more than 50k vehicles per year. And I agree that without Tesla and Elon Musk there would not be any electric options available. The whole reason he started Tesla is because of the original big 3 automakers were sitting on their hands doing nothing to transition to renewable energy.

·
Registered
5 Posts
A year ago you could do that and it's what I did: pick one up because they had inventory. These days, you are in for a year or longer wait for some of the cheaper versions of the Model 3. Did you already place an order?

Mike
It's not that bad, the delivery time can be faster depending on the color you order, the wheels and model. I ordered a 22 model 3 RWD, the least expensive model with the new LFP battery, blue with the sport wheels and I took delivery 2.5 months later. Do your research on the LFP battery, it's not as fast, but able to be charged to 100 percent as often as you wish and an expected long, long, long life cycle. Great range as well.

The more expensive dual motor long range model and performance models offer faster delivery dates than the less expensive RWD.

Remember, once you place your non refundable order you lock in your price regardless of future price increases. Just make sure you order exactly what you want, changes will result in a loss of your order fee ( $250 ) and requiring you to start from scratch, needing to place another order fee, going to current price and moving to the back of the waiting list. Just FYI.

·
Registered
Premier, Yo, with every goodie!
1,858 Posts
.. And I agree that without Tesla and Elon Musk there would not be any electric options available. ...
Check your history.
He bought into an existing EV company with his paypal money.
The Leaf was on the market before the Model S.

·
Registered
1,858 Posts
our non dc fast charge was charged overnight by dealer to 100% ...

discovered at about half charge that both home and away target limits had been set to 80% reset those to 100 and allis well ...

chevy dealers r really blowing this oppty to keep customers
How are they 'blowing this oppty'?:unsure:

Your car did charge to 100% and then it didn't. How do you explain that?
Somebody was poking at settings after that initial charge... :rolleyes:

Maybe they are trying to save valuable time,,, similar to you, (not using capital letters, punctuation marks and real words?) :sneaky:

I'm tickled pink with my '17 Bolt with its Brand New Battery Pack and Warranty!!!
It took all of 3 days at the dealership. It was done the evening before I picked it up.
It showed 100% SOC on the app, but they said they needed to do a test drive with it before handing it off to me.

What more should I have expected from this visit to my dealer?

·
Registered
961 Posts
Check your history.
He bought into an existing EV company with his paypal money.
The Leaf was on the market before the Model S.
And Nissan would STILL be making little headway if not for Tesla.
WHo cares how he got into the EV market, you can't deny that he has pushed forward making others go that way too.

·
Registered
1,858 Posts
...you can't deny that he has pushed forward making others go that way too.
Yes, I can.;)
Many manufacturers were developing EV's around that time.
And many were not +$60k.
Remember the myth of the $35k Model 3 when it was first announced? How far did that 'push' go?

·
Registered
961 Posts
How are they 'blowing this oppty'?:unsure:

Your car did charge to 100% and then it didn't. How do you explain that?
Somebody was poking at settings after that initial charge... :rolleyes:

Maybe they are trying to save valuable time,,, similar to you, (not using capital letters, punctuation marks and real words?) :sneaky:

I'm tickled pink with my '17 Bolt with its Brand New Battery Pack and Warranty!!!
It took all of 3 days at the dealership. It was done the evening before I picked it up.
It showed 100% SOC on the app, but they said they needed to do a test drive with it before handing it off to me.

What more should I have expected from this visit to my dealer?
Just because YOU had a good experience doesn't mean that others have not. I for one had the worst experience from GM and this was ALL before the battery fiasco.

This goes for everything, if you are treated poorly from any company you think twice before doing business with them again.

·
Registered
1,858 Posts
... I for one had the worst experience from GM and this was ALL before the battery fiasco.
I understand.
Are you talking mainly about the Dealer Dogs? They are not GM, although they should be closely tied.
Nobody likes car salesmen. Look at the list of least respected professions. :(

Yep, some are not getting this Recall performed without a glitch. Some say 'reference page 25'...
WTH, why not have the condensed version of this procedure for the techs to use?

Reactions: GJETSON

·
Registered
8,555 Posts
And Nissan would STILL be making little headway if not for Tesla.
WHo cares how he got into the EV market, you can't deny that he has pushed forward making others go that way too.
Yes, I can.;)
Many manufacturers were developing EV's around that time.
You guys are debating the "great man" theory of history. Turning points may happen because individual people (or, in this case, companies) make a difference, or they may happen because the state of society or technology has reached a point where such change is inevitable - if one person doesn't trigger it then someone else is bound to.

In real life both causes contribute to change. Tesla would not have been successful if the state of technology hadn't made their products possible at a price where a segment of the market could afford them. But Tesla's particular leadership and marketing style has also made it synonymous with electric vehicles in the mind of the broader public, and I have no doubt that they are accelerating EV adoption by at least some amount.

·
Registered
1,092 Posts
I could be wrong, but I get the feeling that your dealer is feeding you a line to cover for their mistake. There are two versions of the software: One that is designed to go into vehicles that are NOT yet getting a battery, and one designed to go into vehicles when they actually get a new battery. It seems more likely to me that the dealer did the wrong update, and now has to fix their mistake. Of course, from a dealer's perspective, it is easy to blame GM instead of admitting to a mistake.
From Jaryd Carvell:
Hi friendly neighborhood GM EV tech here! There seems to be alot of people misunderstanding that the tech does not choose the software that is installed in your vehicle, it is linked to your vin by GM. There are 2 versions of the new advanced diagnostic software one with the 80% limitation (if you still have the original battery) and one without any SOC limitations (for new batteries). Some vehicles were placed into the 883 recall which includes the 80% limitation, and when they were migrated to 881 a few vehicles didn't have the software updated on the GM server for the new battery. GM is aware of the issue and there is a new TSB that instructs the tech to call the techline programming center so they can change the calibrations over to the one without the SOC limitation if this happens. Fortunately there are not a whole lot of vehicles this has happened to, I'm sorry to hear you are one of them. Refer your dealer to TSB# 21-NA-261 which will explain it to them.

·
Registered
2,168 Posts
From Jaryd Carvell:
Hi friendly neighborhood GM EV tech here! There seems to be alot of people misunderstanding that the tech does not choose the software that is installed in your vehicle, it is linked to your vin by GM. There are 2 versions of the new advanced diagnostic software one with the 80% limitation (if you still have the original battery) and one without any SOC limitations (for new batteries). Some vehicles were placed into the 883 recall which includes the 80% limitation, and when they were migrated to 881 a few vehicles didn't have the software updated on the GM server for the new battery. GM is aware of the issue and there is a new TSB that instructs the tech to call the techline programming center so they can change the calibrations over to the one without the SOC limitation if this happens. Fortunately there are not a whole lot of vehicles this has happened to, I'm sorry to hear you are one of them. Refer your dealer to TSB# 21-NA-261 which will explain it to them.
It is a good update. Sounds more like a GM problem. If I were the dealer, though, I would still question why I couldn't charge my customer's car to 100%. It is called for in the actual repair bulletin, after all. Plenty of blame to go around! ;)

·
Registered
8 Posts
You could scan the battery capacity before you bring it back. MyVoltControl app will work with most any scanners. If the dealer says that’s normal I would take it to another dealer
So today I got my car back. It’s a 2017. They replaced the high voltage battery, and everything seemed okay. I noticed it wasn’t fully charged but attributed it to the fact that they called me before closing so I could take it home. Anyway I walk out to the car and see that with a brand new battery I only have 160 miles. I thought with the battery swap we’d be able to charge to 100 percent. Has this happened to anyone else? I’m really starting to hate Chevy.
Simply go back to the dealer, explain it doesn't charge past 80% capacity and ask WHY IS IT LIKE THAT? Ask until you get a clear logical explanation. Save all the rest of it. Be a concerned courteous customer and let them answer the questions. Get the dealer to work with the car. Fastest route to resolution

·
Registered
2022 Bolt 2LT ice blue metallic; 2011 Chevy Volt premier diamond white;
77 Posts
Strange thing happened on my 2022 that went in for it's 6 month checkup, went in the day before the release of the limiting software, car was set to 80% on the infotainment screen for charging prior to the visit. When I got the car back it was reset to 100% and dealer returned it to me fully charged. Tad bizarre, I reset to 80%.

·
Super Moderator
2020 Chevrolet Bolt
3,509 Posts
Strange thing happened on my 2022 that went in for it's 6 month checkup, went in the day before the release of the limiting software, car was set to 80% on the infotainment screen for charging prior to the visit. When I got the car back it was reset to 100% and dealer returned it to me fully charged. Tad bizarre, I reset to 80%.
If they disconnected the 12V battery for any reason, it may reset some settings.

41 - 60 of 83 Posts