Chevy Bolt EV Forum banner
61 - 80 of 83 Posts

·
Registered
Premier, Yo, with every goodie!
1,858 Posts
Capital gains on the sale so he can exercise his options to buy more stock.
OK then....
So how would an apologist describe all the other years that him, and fellow Billionaires, don't pay taxes? ;)

Reactions: SpicyBolt

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #62 ·
Simply go back to the dealer, explain it doesn't charge past 80% capacity and ask WHY IS IT LIKE THAT? Ask until you get a clear logical explanation. Save all the rest of it. Be a concerned courteous customer and let them answer the questions. Get the dealer to work with the car. Fastest route to resolution
If only it were that simple. I’ve been to the dealership 5 times and they can’t figure it out and basically telling me there’s nothing they can do. Spoke with another Chevy dealer out of state who fixed the issue and my dealer insists they can’t speak to them to work and get the answer. Then I was told by the dealership that GM told them they have restricted capacity on brand new batteries to 80%.

·
Registered
2017 Bolt Premier
1,501 Posts
If only it were that simple. I’ve been to the dealership 5 times and they can’t figure it out and basically telling me there’s nothing they can do. Spoke with another Chevy dealer out of state who fixed the issue and my dealer insists they can’t speak to them to work and get the answer. Then I was told by the dealership that GM told them they have restricted capacity on brand new batteries to 80%.
I can see that you are frustrated and rightly so. The clearest explanation I've seen of the problem is post #54 in this thread:

From reading this it's clear that the dealers are as confused and helpless as you are. Of course they compound their problems by relaying incorrect or false information instead of saying "I don't know what's going on. I will find out."

I strongly suggest backing off from the dealer and addressing the issue with GM directly through an EV Concierge. While the dealer likely won't listen to you as a customer, they will listen to GM corporate.

Finally, since you now know this service department cannot be trusted to give you accurate information, finding another dealer to work with should be high on your list of things to do.

ga2500ev

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #66 ·
UPDATE! Got the car back and the battery charges to 100%. At the very start of this I specifically asked the dealer to make sure my VIN was included in the update, as updates are specific to VIN’s. This was why GM stated all along. They blew me off and never checked. Wouldn’t listen. I emailed them the bulletin so they could see, they still blew me off.

Wasn’t until I got in touch with the General Manager of the dealership that they changed their tune, gave me a loaner(after I was told that there was no way they could)checked to see if the VIN was in the software update, and guess what…my VIN was NOT included in the software update. They contacted GM, got me in that bundle and 30 minutes later the battery charges like it’s supposed to. A week of **** for a 30 minute oversight.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Actually, Mr Musk is not that great an orator. But I don't mind. Everybody is on this forum BECAUSE of Mr. Musk. He did it (not single-handedly) but he did it. Oh and by the way, like that young woman from SpaceX said, not too long ago (paraprasing here),"for the first time since the space shuttle, American astronauts, from the American mainland are able to reach the ISS" Boeing didn't do it, nobody from traditional aerospace did it. Mr. Musk did it (not single-handedly) but he did do it.

That's the big stuff, but actually, he really is responsible for a lot of other really, big stuff.

Now the cowboys are gonna try to knock him down a couple of pegs.
We really do despise smart, educated people who are driven and successful and very rich (there but for the grace of God, go I)

Oh yeah, Elizabeth Warren's opinion really counts for one iota of anything. Her and the 99 others. No, not really.
And GM and all their lies and their crummy products will count for anything when the Chinese cars hit these shores. No, not really.
Let's all handicap Tesla and SpaceX and Mr. Musk, in particular, and let's congratulate Ms. Barra on a job well done.
You can't make this stuff up. What a laugh.
Very well said Mr Yippee!

·
Registered
2021 Bolt Premier
4,199 Posts
UPDATE! Got the car back and the battery charges to 100%. At the very start of this I specifically asked the dealer to make sure my VIN was included in the update, as updates are specific to VIN’s. This was why GM stated all along. They blew me off and never checked. Wouldn’t listen. I emailed them the bulletin so they could see, they still blew me off.

Wasn’t until I got in touch with the General Manager of the dealership that they changed their tune, gave me a loaner(after I was told that there was no way they could)checked to see if the VIN was in the software update, and guess what…my VIN was NOT included in the software update. They contacted GM, got me in that bundle and 30 minutes later the battery charges like it’s supposed to. A week of **** for a 30 minute oversight.
And, if another is even marginally available, NEVER go back to that dealer again. And tell your friends and relatives.

·
Registered
2 Posts
I
Yep 16 bars on a new battery pack. This is ridiculous.
View attachment 39284
I received a new battery on 12/18/21 and since then I have not needed a full charge. I recently charged up to full only for the car to show charge complete at 80%. A separate nearby dealer told me that the original dealer was supposed to charge to full to verify that the battery is able to do so and they skipped the step. Now I have to bring the car back on Tuesday for them to finish the work. Totally never going back to that dealer.

·
Registered
2017 Bolt Premier
1,501 Posts
I
I received a new battery on 12/18/21 and since then I have not needed a full charge. I recently charged up to full only for the car to show charge complete at 80%. A separate nearby dealer told me that the original dealer was supposed to charge to full to verify that the battery is able to do so and they skipped the step. Now I have to bring the car back on Tuesday for them to finish the work. Totally never going back to that dealer.
It's only partially on the dealer. Yes, they should have verified that the Bolt charges to 100%. However, they don't really have control of the firmware that gets loaded as it comes from GM's servers. It's the reason we should each ask the dealer to return the Bolt after the recall charged to 100% regardless of if it's needed or not. It'll save a trip when this issue occurs.

ga2500ev

·
Premium Member
2018 Bolt Premier
542 Posts
It's only partially on the dealer. Yes, they should have verified that the Bolt charges to 100%. However, they don't really have control of the firmware that gets loaded as it comes from GM's servers. It's the reason we should each ask the dealer to return the Bolt after the recall charged to 100% regardless of if it's needed or not. It'll save a trip when this issue occurs.

ga2500ev
I think from what I’ve read on this and other related threads if it’s not charged to 100% by the dealer I’m heading to the DCFC down the road and watch the coolant level and listen for the pump while monitoring the PIDs.
Seems a number of the problems post battery replacement are noted after a good run or fast charging.
Pays yer money take yer chances, toss the dice and see what you get.
I’m hoping no problems like quite a few have reported.
Fingers crossed

·
Registered
1,858 Posts
..if it’s not charged to 100% by the dealer....
Then don't leave the house.
The app is your time saving friend.
Tell those turkeys you are not leaving the house until you see it charged to 100%.

Reactions: Herbie Bolt

·
Registered
1,858 Posts
They only have level 2 charger, I don’t want to leave the car there overnight and being a retired GM drivability tech I want to see for myself.
I guess... How much time and cost do you think this will cost you?
You could ask them to take it to the DCFC 'down the road'.
I thought dealers needed to have a DCFC available to qualify as Bolt service shop.

·
Premium Member
2018 Bolt Premier
542 Posts
I guess... How much time and cost do you think this will cost you?
You could ask them to take it to the DCFC 'down the road'.
I thought dealers needed to have a DCFC available to qualify as Bolt service shop.
Maybe an hour and $15.00, I’d rather pay a few bucks and watch the charging, verify the pump runs and coolant level doesn’t drop.
Maybe in the US, a lot of dealers in mid western Ontario just have level 2 or 24Kw chargers, The cities have faster but not worth it for dealerships in small towns.

·
Registered
3,331 Posts
From Jaryd Carvell:
Hi friendly neighborhood GM EV tech here! There seems to be alot of people misunderstanding that the tech does not choose the software that is installed in your vehicle, it is linked to your vin by GM. There are 2 versions of the new advanced diagnostic software one with the 80% limitation (if you still have the original battery) and one without any SOC limitations (for new batteries). Some vehicles were placed into the 883 recall which includes the 80% limitation, and when they were migrated to 881 a few vehicles didn't have the software updated on the GM server for the new battery. GM is aware of the issue and there is a new TSB that instructs the tech to call the techline programming center so they can change the calibrations over to the one without the SOC limitation if this happens. Fortunately there are not a whole lot of vehicles this has happened to, I'm sorry to hear you are one of them. Refer your dealer to TSB# 21-NA-261 which will explain it to them.
Today, under 2017 CHEVROLET BOLT 4 DR FWD | NHTSA associated docs, I stumbled across #21-NA-261.

It's at https://static.nhtsa.gov/odi/rcl/2021/RCMN-21V560-4795.pdf.

·
Registered
1 Posts
So today I got my car back. It’s a 2017. They replaced the high voltage battery, and everything seemed okay. I noticed it wasn’t fully charged but attributed it to the fact that they called me before closing so I could take it home. Anyway I walk out to the car and see that with a brand new battery I only have 160 miles. I thought with the battery swap we’d be able to charge to 100 percent. Has this happened to anyone else? I’m really starting to hate Chevy.
Me too - 2017 in Ontario

·
Registered
2 Posts
Had my battery replaced several months ago - never noticed the charging issue until a recent long-distance trip - where we were charge-limited to 80% (I normally charge to 80% so didn't notice the issue until this past week. Dealership says they have to get Chevy approval (could take 90+ days); Chevy says dealer has to take care of it. Passed along the TSB# 21-NA-261 - dealer says my battery is not on the list to follow this remedy. Anyone else have success navigating this? Nobody seems to know what is going on.

·
Registered
12/16 build, 2017, white LT
12,000 Posts
Had my battery replaced several months ago - never noticed the charging issue until a recent long-distance trip - where we were charge-limited to 80% (I normally charge to 80% so didn't notice the issue until this past week. Dealership says they have to get Chevy approval (could take 90+ days); Chevy says dealer has to take care of it. Passed along the TSB# 21-NA-261 - dealer says my battery is not on the list to follow this remedy. Anyone else have success navigating this? Nobody seems to know what is going on.
This fixes the dealer's screwup. All Bolts could have had this 80% limit software installed at one point in the recall. It was to be removed, or not installed, at the time of battery replacement. Go to a different dealer. Yours has no clue.

61 - 80 of 83 Posts