Chevy Bolt EV Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just got my Bolt EV. Dealer says they applied for plates and HOV stickers for CA. They say HOV stickers are somtimes rejected when they apply and I should apply too…

1. I read that some dealers take forever to send details to DMV. How do I know they handed over details to DMV?

2. How long will plates take in CA (Bay Area)?

3. Can I apply for HOV stickers without license plate number?

·
Premium Member
787 Posts
I had my plates within 3 weeks of getting my Bolt. I actually had the stickers before I had the plates because the dealer had ordered the stickers as soon as they had a VIN from the factory, even though the car took forever to get shipped to the dealer (car was ordered in October, built in November, finally shipped at the end of December, and received by the dealer at the end of January). Sticker was actually issued by the DMV in mid-December.

Only the dealer can order stickers without a license plate and registration. If you order the stickers you must have a license plate.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Only the dealer can order stickers without a license plate and registration. If you order the stickers you must have a license plate.
That's good to know - I will follow up with them on Saturday and verify that they did send in my application.

Just got my CA plates today after getting the car just under 4 weeks ago.
That's good - so I will expect to get my plates by first week of July.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I've been calling around, and some dealers claim you will get the stickers upon delivery of the car.
My 2 cents say that some dealers might be applying for them as they get car VINs (as a selling point). Though I always thought the stickers have a serial number thats registered to the owner...

·
Premium Member
787 Posts
My 2 cents say that some dealers might be applying for them as they get car VINs (as a selling point). Though I always thought the stickers have a serial number thats registered to the owner...
Stickers are tied to the VIN. There's a form used to transfer the stickers to the new owner's name. It's the same form used to order the stickers in the first place, but a different section filled out. If your dealer supplied stickers at purchase time, they should have had you fill out the transfer section of the form.

·
Registered
624 Posts
the dealership i bought from told me i needed to apply for the stickers myself. the DMV form (reg 1000) has a spot for the plate number, so i take that to mean i can't apply for the stickers until i get a license plate. think i should just submit without the plate # and see what happens?

edit: also, can this be done online, or is it an in-person/mail thing?

2nd edit: to answer my own question, from the FAQ on the DMV website:

7. Q: Are assigned license plates required before I apply for CAV decals?

A: Yes. The vehicle must have permanent license plates assigned before CAV decals can be issued.

·
Registered
1,031 Posts
My dealership said that they'll get the stickers as I sign the purchase agreement and it'll be based off of my information on my license (birth date). But they'll get it all. Obviously for the usual fees along with the plate fee.

·
Registered
121 Posts
the dealership i bought from told me i needed to apply for the stickers myself. the DMV form (reg 1000) has a spot for the plate number, so i take that to mean i can't apply for the stickers until i get a license plate. think i should just submit without the plate # and see what happens?

edit: also, can this be done online, or is it an in-person/mail thing?

2nd edit: to answer my own question, from the FAQ on the DMV website:
You have to mail it in and they've been known to reject the applications if they are not filled out properly. So you have to wait until you have license plates.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I called up the dealer and they never applied for the HOV decals. But I got the license plate number over the phone (havent received them yet). I mailed in the application myself with the check, hopefully the decals should arrive at the same time as the plates (as dealer said plates are taking 5 weeks now).

1 - 12 of 12 Posts