Chevy Bolt EV Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Leased a red Bolt Premium version on Saturday (Jan 14) from Dailey Chevy in San Leandro (East Bay).
This is a third car in my family. The others are a 2014 Nissan Leaf and a 2013 Acura MDX.
So far, I'm a little disappointed.
* I'm getting less MPGe than the Leaf. 22 Khw versus 28 for the same drive
* There is a significant amount of break fade from ~5 MPH -> 0. (only noticeable in "D" not "L")
* Torque steer is crazy! Rapid acceleration pulls steering to the right.

Anyone experiencing this?

·
Registered
1,486 Posts
That's odd, the bolt should be getting more MPGe than the Leaf as it's rated for 119 MPGe combined, made up of 128 MPGe city and 110 MPGe highway. I would say it needs to be broken in but it's an electric car so that's unnecessary.

I'm baffled as to why you're experiencing these problems.

·
Registered
1,031 Posts
Welcome to the forums and congratulations on pulling the trigger. I also am quite shocked to see the complaints as well as the Leaf getting better MPGe than the Bolt. The whole selling feature for the Bolt is how much better it is in the sector.

The torque steer I can imagine, but I can't see it being substantial, that being said, I haven't driven one yet so I'll just have to wait and see.

Hopefully some other owners that have experience with both vehicles can chime in here

·
Super Moderator
2,067 Posts
Leased a red Bolt Premium version on Saturday (Jan 14) from Dailey Chevy in San Leandro (East Bay).
This is a third car in my family. The others are a 2014 Nissan Leaf and a 2013 Acura MDX.
So far, I'm a little disappointed.
* I'm getting less MPGe than the Leaf. 22 Khw versus 28 for the same drive
* There is a significant amount of break fade from ~5 MPH -> 0. (only noticeable in "D" not "L")
* Torque steer is crazy! Rapid acceleration pulls steering to the right.

Anyone experiencing this?
Have you aired up the tires? My Bolt came with the PSI at 34-35, so I boosted it up to at least 40 all the way around.
Haven't noticed any brake fade.
Torque steer....yeah, the Bolt has way more giddy up than a Leaf, so you should almost expect that. The chief engineer came from a racing background, so no surprise. ;)

·
Super Moderator
2,564 Posts
My guess is the Leaf has a lower drag coefficient, it has a smaller motor and may even be lighter. The Leaf getting better MPGe doesn't surprise me at all. Who cares? Electricity is relatively cheap and the difference is minor. The Bolt is a way better car and totally worth the tiny increase in the electric bill.

200hp electric motor? Front wheel drive? Yeah there will be torque steer. Lots of it. That's why I would have preferred RWD with a limited slip differential, but that's not how it went. Don't step on the "gas" so hard.

I don't get the brake fade. Maybe I don't understand what you mean by that. I drove the Bolt quite a bit the other day and I drove it somewhat aggressively. I thought the brakes were just fine. However I was using lots of regen and pretty much only drove in L. Maybe with a full battery and in D it doesn't have such great brakes. Still there shouldn't be any fade in the traditional use of the term. Maybe you're braking really hard and the anti lock is kicking in?

·
Registered
106 Posts
Maybe the "brake fade" is a function of the reduced regeneration when the battery is close to being fully charged or really cold/hot.

You can see this condition on the dashboard where the regen icon is gray in color instead of green. Also, there is a faint gray line in the regen section of the meter that shows the max regen allowed when the icon is grey. I've seen as little as 10 kW for max regen when the battery is completely full.

·
Registered
75 Posts
An EV or hybrid with blended braking usually switches over to the friction brakes at 5 mph. I suspect that transition is what you are experiencing, with Chevy having not quite dialed in equal deceleration in both modes. On my Fiat 500e the transition is a little abrupt with the friction brakes gripping a little too hard. Sounds like your Chevy has the opposite. You'll find you adjust soon enough, changing your pedal pressure as you get to 5 mph; it'll become automatic and you won't even think of it after a while.

You wouldn't notice it in L because in L the regen continues all the way to 0 mph in L.

It wouldn't be fade per se. Fade is an actual loss of potential braking power due to overheating of pads and rotors, and that's extremely unlikely when the friction brakes have virtually no work to do until 5mph.

Torque steer? Yes, your new car has about double the horsepower of your old one, so you'll need to go easier on the accelerator...unless you enjoy that sporty old-school Saab Turbo style steering wheel tug!

·
Banned
350 Posts
It darn well feels like brake fade when the regen has nowhere to put more power, and so the motor doesn't generate, and lo and behold, only the small friction brakes are doing all the work.
To stop, at that point, you suddenly need maybe three times the pressure on the pedal; a Very disturbing feeling.

·
Super Moderator
2,564 Posts
It darn well feels like brake fade when the regen has nowhere to put more power, and so the motor doesn't generate, and lo and behold, only the small friction brakes are doing all the work.
To stop, at that point, you suddenly need maybe three times the pressure on the pedal; a Very disturbing feeling.
I imagine there is some getting used to in a very different type of vehicle. Knowing the issue is most the battle. I suppose if you never want to feel this "fade", just never fully charge your battery. I guess use the Hill Top Mode.

·
Registered
735 Posts
Starting to think we should a thread happening here on tips, because not charging your Bolt completely would be one of the many useful tips.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts