Chevy Bolt EV Forum banner

1 - 20 of 104 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My Bolt was updated to software version 14.1.0 today via USB at my local dealer. Supposed to fix a bunch of small radio related problems detailed here

It's really too soon to tell if things are better.

My dealer looked up my VIN in the system and didn't see any updates available, but he checked with his "Bolt guy" and he found it.

They told me it would be a couple hours, but called in under an hour and said it was done.

Nothing visibly changed (except the version number) but hopefully the disappearing presets and other issues will be better.

PRO TIP: The install wiped out most of my custom settings so I had to re-add the radio pre-sets, wifi passwords, etc.

·
Registered
94 Posts
Well that was F'ed up. Drove 40 miles where I bought my car to get the update. All my info was still there. When I got home I checked what version I had and it's 13.4.0. Not 14.1.0. Called and I heard the tech in back ground saying that he could not update it cause GM had a glitch or some crap. Would have been better to have said it did not work than have me look into it.

·
Registered
1,031 Posts
That's all sorts of annoying. I would change dealerships based off of something like that. If they can't do it, at least tell you they couldn't do it. Why lie about it?

·
Registered
94 Posts
Took car to other dealer and got update. The first guy is sending me emails and someone from the dealership call the house and left message like everything is wonderful. Have a call into GM filling a complaint about the first dealership.

·
Super Moderator
2,564 Posts
It sucks that we have to go to the dealership to get it! We should be able to download it at home and do it ourselves. Sounds like GM is trying to throw the dealerships a bone for maintenance losses on EVs. I'm sure updating software is billable.

·
Super Moderator
2,067 Posts
So this is an Update, not an Upgrade - no new features involved, just bug fixes?
Yep, update for bug fixes. I had it done and now have 14.1.0.

There is a setting to download software updates in the background, so we know GM planned for OTA updates. Maybe "added feature" updates will get pushed out OTA, while bug fixes will still require dealer visits?

·
Registered
368 Posts
So this is an Update, not an Upgrade - no new features involved, just bug fixes?
I think they've also introduced a couple of new bugs. One example: before the update, my scheduled overnight charge always completed at the scheduled time, give or take 5 minutes. Since the update, charging is always incomplete when I leave for my commute - I estimate it would complete about half an hour after the scheduled time.

I expect I can adjust departure time settings to correct for this, but it seems like an odd error to introduce. I would not have expected charging to be affected at all, figured the software update applied mainly to the infotainment features.

Has anyone else noticed a change in charging results?

·
Registered
85 Posts
Why isn't this update happening over-the-air? How will they compete with Tesla who updates almost monthly. Going to the dealer for a service is nutzo and will quickly consume any margin GM had on this call. I bet this means updates will be very infrequent with no hope of new feature sets.

Hello GM, last century calling, you should do OTA updates to your electronics.

·
Registered
36 Posts
2017 Tesla Model S 60 gets 228 miles per charge. Lease $1,005 /mo. 36 month lease with 10,000 miles per year $6,700 due at signing
$82,500 cash price before EV incentives.

$82,500 - $37,495 = $45,005

For $45,005 I would expect OTA updates. For an entry level mass produced to be more affordable EV, not so much.

·
Registered
104 Posts
Yep, update for bug fixes. I had it done and now have 14.1.0.

There is a setting to download software updates in the background, so we know GM planned for OTA updates. Maybe "added feature" updates will get pushed out OTA, while bug fixes will still require dealer visits?
I suspect GM is just still testing the OTA update mechanism and isn't ready to make use of it quite yet for customer cars. I was told by a GM manager a couple of months ago that some Bolt EVs driven by GM employees are already getting OTA updates.

·
Registered
106 Posts
I also remember reading somewhere that OTA software updates would only be done for non-safety system related updates. I'm assuming this is just because they don't want a problem or issue with a safety system failing because it didn't update correctly.

·
Registered
64 Posts
this might be a stupid question, but how do you know when there are software updates available? Does the infotainment system tell you?

·
Registered
1,934 Posts
You drill down through the menus on the infotainment screen and will eventually find a "check for software updates" button.

Not that it finds anything yet.....

·
Registered
2 Posts
Is there anyway to check which version you have without running the update check?

Also since v.14 is not downloadable yet if you have it installed and do a software check will it go back to v.13?

·
Registered
989 Posts
Is there anyway to check which version you have without running the update check?

Also since v.14 is not downloadable yet if you have it installed and do a software check will it go back to v.13?

No and No........:nerd:

1 - 20 of 104 Posts