Chevy Bolt EV Forum banner
  • Hey Guest, welcome to ChevyBolt.org. We encourage you to register to engage in conversations about your Bolt.

Got software upgrade today! (13.4.0 --> 14.1.0)

45K views 103 replies 54 participants last post by  Sean Nelson 
#1 ·
My Bolt was updated to software version 14.1.0 today via USB at my local dealer. Supposed to fix a bunch of small radio related problems detailed here

It's really too soon to tell if things are better.

My dealer looked up my VIN in the system and didn't see any updates available, but he checked with his "Bolt guy" and he found it.

They told me it would be a couple hours, but called in under an hour and said it was done.

Nothing visibly changed (except the version number) but hopefully the disappearing presets and other issues will be better.

PRO TIP: The install wiped out most of my custom settings so I had to re-add the radio pre-sets, wifi passwords, etc.

See less See more
#3 ·
Well that was F'ed up. Drove 40 miles where I bought my car to get the update. All my info was still there. When I got home I checked what version I had and it's 13.4.0. Not 14.1.0. Called and I heard the tech in back ground saying that he could not update it cause GM had a glitch or some crap. Would have been better to have said it did not work than have me look into it.

#8 ·
Yep, update for bug fixes. I had it done and now have 14.1.0.

There is a setting to download software updates in the background, so we know GM planned for OTA updates. Maybe "added feature" updates will get pushed out OTA, while bug fixes will still require dealer visits?

#10 ·
Why isn't this update happening over-the-air? How will they compete with Tesla who updates almost monthly. Going to the dealer for a service is nutzo and will quickly consume any margin GM had on this call. I bet this means updates will be very infrequent with no hope of new feature sets.

Hello GM, last century calling, you should do OTA updates to your electronics.

#11 ·
2017 Tesla Model S 60 gets 228 miles per charge. Lease $1,005 /mo. 36 month lease with 10,000 miles per year $6,700 due at signing
$82,500 cash price before EV incentives.

$82,500 - $37,495 = $45,005

For $45,005 I would expect OTA updates. For an entry level mass produced to be more affordable EV, not so much.

#15 ·
You drill down through the menus on the infotainment screen and will eventually find a "check for software updates" button.

Not that it finds anything yet.....

#25 ·
Define dead duck for me, please. Does that mean the car no longer powers on at all? Can't be driven? Check engine light is on with various other warning lights lit? DIC is blank? Or does it just mean that the Infotainment screen isn't working, which means you can't change settings, use the radio, etc?

My update when I had it done a few months ago went fine.

#23 ·
Wouldn't hold my breath waiting for any over the air update to happen. Last I heard the only people who have ever gotten any OTA update for a Bolt were Chevy employees testing the procedures. AFAIK Chevy has not so far pushed any new software OTA to non-Chevy employee owners.

#26 ·
Sean wrote:
"Your understanding should be "Infotainment updates CAN come over the air".

The car has the capability for over the air updates, but so far GM has not released updates any that way. All the updates that are currently available must be installed by the dealer.

Time will tell whether or not they ever use this capability, and whether they will include the 2017 models if they do."

Good points! And extra points for being so specific. I get accused of being overly specific at times (usually by my wife), but people don't realize that it's good for them! :)

#29 ·
Is 14.4.2 a required update or just a "next time you're in for service" update? That is, did the dealer call you in for the update or were you at the dealer for other work?

#30 ·
I finally got the mysterious update today
14.4.2 is the version that I got, from 13.4.0

It took a while to explain the receptionist at the dealer what I really want and what's not working ))

Visibly there are a few changes

the AA screen is not shrinked any more

the camera button works now even if you don't drive,
you can push the button and it comes up

The rest of glitches remain to be seen if they're gone.
I will update later.
My main problem was that AA phone would not work together with another USB port occupied by USB drive
or Audio input was used.

It was freezing a lot too.

here is the technical info form the dealer printout
Controller
A11

Id

Current # 45564426
Selected # 426150225

New software to address numerous issues including potential froze/blank display
and audio screen displaying at unwanted times.
Note: Once this software is installed, video icon will be disabled and Android Auto screen Resolution will be changed
-----------
BTW
how do you know when the car was made?

#36 ·
Is there any specific reason on why this 14.4.2 update is not available over the air? I hate this old school stuff, calling a dealer, making appointments... this really spoils all experience form the 21 century car. Is the only reason for them to push us to dealer is to try to sell us something? If so, such practices are extremely disappointing and GM should realize this, otherwise people will continue to prey on Tesla.

#40 ·
^ hope your little friend is correct, OTA updates would be awesome!

No one like to burn time at (mostly clueless) dealerships, especially if there's an alternative.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.