Chevy Bolt EV Forum banner

1 - 20 of 54 Posts

·
Registered
8,681 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
@Telek

I went in this am to get the final fix installed. Afterwards, I drove to the nearest EA charger and found that at 37.6% DIC SoC it wouldn't put out more than 14 kW! This was on a 350 kW unit, no less!

06-08-21 DC charging after update 1.jpg

Also noticed that I have the same weird Raw vs DIC SoC spread that somebody else mention seeing after the update!

06-08-21 DC charging after update 3.jpg

I had no luck finding their thread, but in searching, I came across this post from six months ago.

·
Registered
538 Posts
@Telek
I went in this am to get the final fix installed. Afterwards, I drove to the nearest EA charger and found that at 37.6% DIC SoC it wouldn't put out more than 14 kW! This was on a 350 kW unit, no less!
Also noticed that I have the same weird Raw vs DIC SoC spread that somebody else mention seeing after the update!
What was the battery temp? Looks like it's hot where you are.

But the first charge or two after the update can be wonky due to a loss of the learned data. Give it a few cycles and try again. But also log or screenshot the requested current, delivered current, and battery temperatures (all modules not just the average).

·
Registered
8,681 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 · (Edited)

But the first charge or two after the update can be wonky due to a loss of the learned data. Give it a few cycles and try again. But also log or screenshot the requested current, delivered current, and battery temperatures (all modules not just the average).
It was definitely conditioning the battery, but after ten minutes, the rate never improved, so I quit charging.

06-08-21 DC charging after update 2.jpg

Yes. I will try an EVgo next time too. Not as high a charge rate, but at least I know the charger will be working.

06-08-21 DC charging after update 4.jpg

·
Registered
8,681 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
But also log or screenshot the requested current, delivered current, and battery temperatures (all modules not just the average).
The session didn't work the first time, despite lifting the handle. The screen said something about a problem communicating, and to try again. The second time it worked, but afterwards it said they were having a problem, and couldn't email my receipt. It showed up hours later.

Plan:​
Electrify America Pass​
Charging pricing:​
$0.43/kWh (pre-tax)​
Charging time:​
00:11:00​
Charging cost:​
$0.00​
Idling:​
$0.00 ($0.00/min)​
Paid idle time:​
00:00​
Grace period:​
00:10 min​
End state of charge:​
41%​
Total energy delivered:​
2 kWh​

Discount:$0.00
Sales tax (0%):$0.00

Total paid: $0.00

·
Registered
4,364 Posts
I am planning to go on a road trip this summer, I guess I need to test out DCFC before I leave. Would be very upsetting to be stuck with 14KW charging - that'd basically make the Bolt a city only EV.

If you have a Harley Davidson nearby offering free medium speed(25KW) charging, might give that a try.

·
Registered
1,780 Posts
I remember getting an update early on in ownership where the BMS was reset and the car was really confused initially. I'd echo the idea that you should maybe wait a bit before throwing it at a fast charger.

·
Registered
6,281 Posts
I am planning to go on a road trip this summer, I guess I need to test out DCFC before I leave. Would be very upsetting to be stuck with 14KW charging - that'd basically make the Bolt a city only EV.
I'm going on a road trip late next month - I think I'll wait until I get back to have the update done...

·
Registered
8,681 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I remember getting an update early on in ownership where the BMS was reset and the car was really confused initially. I'd echo the idea that you should maybe wait a bit before throwing it at a fast charger.
The dealer was supposed to try it on their 25 kW fast charger to see if it worked, according to the service bulletin. But they don't have one.

·
Registered
2017 Bolt
33 Posts

Now that I have completed my pre-recall TorquePro/PID data collections it will be very interesting to do the same data collections post-recall, and hopefully in similar weather conditions. My 2017 Bolt is scheduled for the recall tomorrow. In the older and also the recent forum discussions the comments about odd charging and SoC behaviours and observations will be helpful as I will try to understand what is normal and what might not be OK. Going through a couple of cycles with a full charge (or at least to HTR) and to a low SoC -- that seems to be a necessary procedure if the SoC and GOM seem odd -- the BMS might need to relearn, as I have read in these forum discussions.

An added factor that I saw in my pre-recall DCFC session testing was that some high-rated DCFC units sometimes did not provide the full 150 A that my Bolt had requested (confirmed by PID data values). The DCFC's failure to provide the 150 A was, I am sure, due to some limit that the DCFC unit had imposed. I can think of possible reasons like a DCFC's own cooling system partial failure so it did the restriction, or a power restriction by the operator/owner of the DCFC facility to minimize their added power costs for electricity demand.

·
Registered
1,006 Posts
I read another post and the poster mentioned a concern - The official "fix" essentially just caps the state of charge at 90% and re-labels it as 100%. Any validity to that idea?

·
Registered
184 Posts
I read another post and the poster mentioned a concern - The official "fix" essentially just caps the state of charge at 90% and re-labels it as 100%. Any validity to that idea?
Nope. This was my car the day after getting the final update. I had run the battery down to about 9% SoC and recharged to 100% overnight. Voltage limit is back up to what it was before the interim update.

·
Registered
2019 Chevy Bolt LT, Cajun Red
638 Posts
I've done 3 DCFC sessions now since my update. Today's session i finally got the full 150 Amps on EA (according to enginelink).
So give it a few sessions to see if it works itself out.
I would also conclude that the EA unit you were on may have been faulty in this instance. 14 kw is really low and it probably wasn't the Bolt causing that. No way to know for certain of course.

I definitely notice it behaving differently since the update though, but it's also summer here, so my battery is at a higher temp. than all my prior sessions last fall when I was paying more attention to the Data (when i first got my obdii reader).
I'm trying to figure out what the update did to the charging curve. Is it the 2020-21 curve or is it a more conservative version of that taper. It definitely has the sloped charging curve now, but it seems to start tapering much earlier. <45%

Past:
54kw (150A) all the way to 50-55% SOC
38kw to 65-67%SOC
then 24kw

since Update what i am seeing:
50-52Kw to about 40% SOC
then gradual taper from 52kw ~ 38kw at 50%SOC...gradual...~24kw at 60%SOC then I've been unplugging.

I suspect part of what I'm seeing is that my battery is at a higher temperature and it starts cooling and tapering earlier than I am used to when it wasn't so hot out. I have driven to florida during the summers though, and I dont ever remember not seeing the full 54-55kw at EA units all the way to 50%SOC and then it was always pegged at 38kw to 65%SOC; So I dont think its just summer temps and battery temperature in my case. I do suspect the charging taper has gotten even MORE conservative with the update (I didnt think that would be possible since it was already so slow).

Its interesting. I will continue to try to capture more data as we move into cooler weather later on.
I wish Chevrolet would just document what they **** they changed if anything on the charging. They know what they did...just tell us (I know, I know, not going to happen).

·
Registered
8,681 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 · (Edited)
@Telek,

OK, a quick update. Charging to hilltop after getting home from the recall I noticed the change others have noted. I watched on Torque Pro, and saw the charge stop, and the dash light go solid green, but our Tesla Gen II was still active. Torque Pro showed the EVSE was indeed on, but the draw was so small it showed zero amps and kW. Next time I will remember to look at the PID that shows onboard charger watts available. it is apparently supplying just enough juice to power the computers checking battery voltages, and temps.

06-09-21 After hilltop charge complete.jpg

Today my wife made a trip to C'ville, and when she got back, I drove up to Afton, and back to the EVgo DC charger in Barracks Road shopping center. It has been two years since I used an EVgo charger in Dandridge, Tennessee. Since then I downloaded the app. I tried the app, but it apparently only works for fancy phones with NFC tech. Electrify America has that as well as internet connectivity...when you can get an internet signal from your provider. On the other hand, I ended up using my EVgo RFID card, and it worked great. EA doesn't offer that, which stinks, since half the time their CC readers don't work. Anyway, enough ranting. The charger worked flawlessly, and the car did too. The Bolt was clearly asking for more than 100 amps, as the 100 amp labeled charger was delivering more for the entire 12 minutes I used it.

06-10-21 100 A max EVgo.jpg

The battery was cooling from the start, and continued for the whole 12 minutes. First time watching the high power stuff temps in hot weather, with all the new temp PIDs too.

06-10-21 EVgo bat cooling at start.jpg 06-10-21 EVgo bat cooling at end.jpg 06-10-21 EVgo power electronics cooling.jpg

And the cherry on top was our battery capacity bumped up a fraction, for the first time in months!

06-10-21 battery capacity bump during EVgo charge.jpg

·
Registered
2017 Bolt
33 Posts
Past:
54kw (150A) all the way to 50-55% SOC
38kw to 65-67%SOC
then 24kw

since Update what i am seeing:
50-52Kw to about 40% SOC
then gradual taper from 52kw ~ 38kw at 50%SOC...gradual...~24kw at 60%SOC then I've been unplugging.
Yesterday in my post-recall DCFC test I also saw this kind of change. Will try another DCFC test to confirm, and hopefully do that when ambient air temp is as high as in my recent pre-recall test session.

·
Registered
257 Posts
Just got back from a round trip to Western Nebraska (440 miles each way). This is my first trip since having the fix applied. It was hot - hovering a little over 90 degrees. I have complete torque logs from the trip there (I left the phone in the car while charging). Here's the Piddle generated chart (shameless plug) covering the trek from Omaha to Alliance, NE. Battery Pack Current in red, Charger DC Port Current in green, Displayed State of Charge in blue and just for fun, Speed in yellow and Altitude in purple. It's fun because double-clicking at any point in the app opens up a Google Map showing your location at that point. Anyway, I hope it's revealing in some way.

alliancetrip.png

·
Registered
179 Posts
I've been collecting data for the past week since my update. Based on that data, my battery pack now only can charge to ~54 kWh. It was 60 kWh the day before the update. I'll continue to collect data, but everything points to the fix reducing the effective size of the battery (and consequent range) by 10% and relabeling it as 100%. It's not just ranting. The drop in range was immediate and very noticeable. My efficiency is irrelevant only the % of battery charge drop for the kWh expended. (My efficiency is exactly the same as it was before the fix 4.1 - 4.3 miles/kWh but the miles of range is down 10%.)

·
Registered
2020 Chevy Bolt and all Tesla models owned by me and my family
446 Posts
Just got back from a round trip to Western Nebraska (440 miles each way). This is my first trip since having the fix applied. It was hot - hovering a little over 90 degrees. I have complete torque logs from the trip there (I left the phone in the car while charging). Here's the Piddle generated chart (shameless plug) covering the trek from Omaha to Alliance, NE. Battery Pack Current in red, Charger DC Port Current in green, Displayed State of Charge in blue and just for fun, Speed in yellow and Altitude in purple. It's fun because double-clicking at any point in the app opens up a Google Map showing your location at that point. Anyway, I hope it's revealing in some way.

View attachment 35612
Let me know so we can have drink 🍸sometime I'm around Lincoln NE if not on business trips all over the country.

·
Registered
4,364 Posts
I've been collecting data for the past week since my update. Based on that data, my battery pack now only can charge to ~54 kWh. It was 60 kWh the day before the update. I'll continue to collect data, but everything points to the fix reducing the effective size of the battery (and consequent range) by 10% and relabeling it as 100%. It's not just ranting. The drop in range was immediate and very noticeable. My efficiency is irrelevant only the % of battery charge drop for the kWh expended. (My efficiency is exactly the same as it was before the fix 4.1 - 4.3 miles/kWh but the miles of range is down 10%.)
Wow, please continue to monitor and report back. Is your Bolt under the recall? So instead of limiting to 90%, they are now calling 90% the new 100%? Sounds like a class action waiting to happen.

In my case, my Bolt is not part of the recall and I am supposed to only have the monitoring software loaded. If they reduced my battery capacity, I definitely have a case to demand MSRP trade for a 2022.

1 - 20 of 54 Posts