Chevy Bolt EV Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Super Moderator
2,561 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So my local dealer got an LT in and I have never seen one before. Since this is the trim level I'm interested in, I went down to check it out. This time I got a proper test drive.

I am even more solid on my LT choice. This car has everything I need and the cloth seats are just fine. They look to be very durable. The back up camera was just all I need.

I even played with the stereo and found it to be totally adequate for my talk radio and pop fluff. I didn't even play with it's tone controls yet so there is likely some improvement to be done there. It is a little flat, but I doubt I'll spend any money tearing the car apart. A car is terrible environment to critically listen to music anyhow. That's what the home system is for.

This time I got to let loose a bit and spun the tires, really tested the passing power on the freeway and did a little cornering. This car is not slow. It's no Corvette, but it's a perfect commute car. Quiet, behaved, but plenty of grunt when you need and/or want it.

I had it up to about 85 and it's solid and stable. Drives like a bigger car. Both my best friend and my wife that came with me were impressed with the ride. They expected much more harsh.

The guy at the order desk told me that Chevy is now producing about one LT for every 10 Premiers, so don't expect to find many on the lot for awhile. They of course will build one for you if you commit to an order. He said that this was typical of a release of any new model. The consumer demand is all about the fully loaded cars initially. He said come back in a year and it will be the inverse with people demanding the base model and the loaded ones sitting. Just how it goes I guess.

The feeling is now, that demand is high enough that GM likely won't be offering any incentives on this car for over a year, but of course that's TBD ultimately. Right now they are doing 2.99% financing and that isn't horrible, but maybe I can do better?

I'm not sure when to pull the trigger. I don't want to wait too long, but at the same time I would like better than MSRP if possible. I sure don't need to do anything right away and the garage isn't even ready yet, so it's all about patience. The problem is, that new car smell is intoxicating...

:eek:

·
Super Moderator
787 Posts
If you are planning on buying, check your local credit union. Mine is offering 2.49 and there's some additional discounting available if I qualify.

If you want the car now, or in the next 6 months, MSRP seems to be the best you are going to get. To me it's just not worth the time and effort to chase a discount off of MSRP that will only save me $20 to $40 a month on a purchase. I can alter my monthly spending habits to be able to accommodate that extra amount. But one less coffee a week. Go out to the movies less. Not have to buy gas. Bring my lunch from home.

Based on the inventory of what I have seen on various local dealers' websites around here, GM is not producing 1 LT for every 10 Premiers. More likely it's 5 LTs for every 10 Premiers. Or a 1 to 2 ratio, not 1 to 10. I suspect the guy on the order desk was pulling your leg, or trying to convince you to upgrade to the Premier on the premise that you'd be able to obtain a Premier more easily and quickly.

·
Registered
1,031 Posts
The new car smell...ah, nothing like it. 1 LT to 10 Premiers does sound off-putting and squeemish though and like Devbolt said, does sound like a sales tactic. The big thing that stuck out for me, at least, in your review is that you were able to over-take without issue. Means to me that it isn't a gutless rolling motor. Being able to spin the tires is pretty cool too. I'm sure there must have been one thing that you wished was better though?

·
Registered
185 Posts
I would not rely on a dealer's word on something like this. :p
Got one thru Costco Auto Program, discounted about 2% under MSRP, but some what still skeptical about this whole process :)

MSRP: $43,510
Invoice: $41,718 (edmunds, cars.com, nada guides, costco.com website)
Shown Costco member price = $100 over "Invoice"
Dealer's "Invoice": $42,783

addition over the "invoice" we typically expect = $1065 (fees like local advertising, documentation)

Dealer claimed it's all pre-negotiated with Costco, will confirm.

·
Super Moderator
2,561 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
If you are planning on buying, check your local credit union. Mine is offering 2.49 and there's some additional discounting available if I qualify.

If you want the car now, or in the next 6 months, MSRP seems to be the best you are going to get. To me it's just not worth the time and effort to chase a discount off of MSRP that will only save me $20 to $40 a month on a purchase. I can alter my monthly spending habits to be able to accommodate that extra amount. But one less coffee a week. Go out to the movies less. Not have to buy gas. Bring my lunch from home.

Based on the inventory of what I have seen on various local dealers' websites around here, GM is not producing 1 LT for every 10 Premiers. More likely it's 5 LTs for every 10 Premiers. Or a 1 to 2 ratio, not 1 to 10. I suspect the guy on the order desk was pulling your leg, or trying to convince you to upgrade to the Premier on the premise that you'd be able to obtain a Premier more easily and quickly.
I haven't checked for loan rates at all yet. I like the sound of 0% but I'm thinking that is unrealistic at this point. I'll check the credit unions and I've had good luck with Capitol One in the past too. I'll check out the Costco plan too. Maybe they can save me a bit.

The guy that was telling me about LTs vs. Premiers wasn't a sales guy at all. He didn't care what I bought and he did tell me he could order me an LT no problem and that I'd likely get it in 6 weeks or so. He said that with custom orders GM puts priority on them as long as there is a name and email attached to the VIN. It's an LT from ordinary dealer inventory that I would have to wait a while for. This particular dealership only had two Bolts and neither were for sale. I don't think they are competitive EV dealers as this is serious pick up truck, Camaro and Corvette country out here.

·
Super Moderator
2,561 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I'm sure there must have been one thing that you wished was better though?
Mostly the price!! :D As far as functional things that I wish were better- I wish it were more intuitive. It's complex to me as I haven't ever owned an EV, or a car with an LCD display. I find all the menus kind of annoying and the displays are really busy I feel. I wish I could strip them down to just what I want to see. Maybe I can, I don't know. The shifter was a little over complicated too, but I'm sure I'll get used to that.

I wish the seats were a little softer, but the shape is fine and over all this is a minor nit pick for me. I wish I could get the roof rack as an option on the LT and as I have stated before, I don't like the wheels, but that just aesthetics. I think the way they positioned the battery coolant reservoir and the brake fluid reservoir is really stupid and I checked, that cowling above is not a simple thing to remove, so special funnel rig it is.

I wish the car were a sport wagon that was the size of and looked like the Model 3 instead of a goofy hatchback but it is what it is and it's not horrible like the Nissan Leaf. That's the thing, there are no deal breakers and anything I can say bad about it is minor nit picking. The car will work for me.

·
Super Moderator
2,561 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Got one thru Costco Auto Program, discounted about 2% under MSRP, but some what still skeptical about this whole process :)

MSRP: $43,510
Invoice: $41,718 (edmunds, cars.com, nada guides, costco.com website)
Shown Costco member price = $100 over "Invoice"
Dealer's "Invoice": $42,783

addition over the "invoice" we typically expect = $1065 (fees like local advertising, documentation)

Dealer claimed it's all pre-negotiated with Costco, will confirm.
I will check out Costco. I've never bought a car through them before. I imagine that the deals are model specific and not just a simple formula, but I am curious to see what people get in the real world.

·
Registered
174 Posts
Had a really easy experience via Costco for the car the Bolt is replacing. Would have done it again, but they didn't have the Bolt in the program yet when I inquired.

·
Registered
1,486 Posts
I think the Costco price can be used as the base price with which to negotiate with other dealerships, if all else fails you can go back to Costco for a Bolt at 2% under MSRP.

·
Registered
1,031 Posts
Mostly the price!! :D As far as functional things that I wish were better- I wish it were more intuitive. It's complex to me as I haven't ever owned an EV, or a car with an LCD display. I find all the menus kind of annoying and the displays are really busy I feel. I wish I could strip them down to just what I want to see. Maybe I can, I don't know. The shifter was a little over complicated too, but I'm sure I'll get used to that.

I wish the seats were a little softer, but the shape is fine and over all this is a minor nit pick for me. I wish I could get the roof rack as an option on the LT and as I have stated before, I don't like the wheels, but that just aesthetics. I think the way they positioned the battery coolant reservoir and the brake fluid reservoir is really stupid and I checked, that cowling above is not a simple thing to remove, so special funnel rig it is.

I wish the car were a sport wagon that was the size of and looked like the Model 3 instead of a goofy hatchback but it is what it is and it's not horrible like the Nissan Leaf. That's the thing, there are no deal breakers and anything I can say bad about it is minor nit picking. The car will work for me.
I'm probably going to be facing the same thing as you are with the menu thing. This will be my first EV as well and I feel like it'll be the "Apple to Android" transition if that's a good way to put it.

Thankfully there's nothing so crucial that you regret the purchase which is great to hear. I do also plan on getting rid of those wheels.. I'm not much of a super flashy kind of guy, but I mean.. I find them pretty unappealing.

In regards to the reservoir, that's what we have warranty for! After that though.. special funnel it is.. But let me know if you rig anything up!

·
Super Moderator
2,561 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I think the Costco price can be used as the base price with which to negotiate with other dealerships, if all else fails you can go back to Costco for a Bolt at 2% under MSRP.
I spoke with my local dealer that is in the Costco program. It sounds like I could expect maybe a couple of hundred dollars off from them. I have yet to see an exact price in writing.

The Costco thing is kind of silly. Basically Costco spits out some offer that they think you should be able to get and you take it to your Costco participating dealer. They then look at what Costco has given you and decide whether or not to do the deal and in this case likely just counter offerers a lower discount. Ultimately it comes down to haggling and you could do it all yourself. No need for Costco.

The only thing Costco does seem to offer is a small rebate reward for using their service and filling out a survey. The amount depends on the level of your Costco membership. I think Executive is $200 and all others is $100.

·
Registered
185 Posts
I spoke with my local dealer that is in the Costco program. It sounds like I could expect maybe a couple of hundred dollars off from them. I have yet to see an exact price in writing.

The Costco thing is kind of silly. Basically Costco spits out some offer that they think you should be able to get and you take it to your Costco participating dealer. They then look at what Costco has given you and decide whether or not to do the deal and in this case likely just counter offerers a lower discount. Ultimately it comes down to haggling and you could do it all yourself. No need for Costco.

The only thing Costco does seem to offer is a small rebate reward for using their service and filling out a survey. The amount depends on the level of your Costco membership. I think Executive is $200 and all others is $100.
It is indeed a little silly. Best use is prolly to get the price as your fall back point of reference. Be warned - if they are quoting a price/discount based off of "Invoice", ask what that invoice is. You'd be surprised it's multiple fees on top of what we'd usually find online - cars.com, edmunds.com, costco's own website, ..etc.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts