Chevy Bolt EV Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi everyone. I was working on washing/ceramic coating my car today. About a month after buying the car I passed a truck that was spraying out some nasty, unknown liquid. It made grayish-white spot marks all over my car. It was really hard to wash it off my window. I have now washed my car twice today with the pressure washer and the spots won't go away, even after scrubbing it with a sponge and rag. Any ideas? I was cleaning it really well to apply Adam’s Graphene Ceramic Coating. Do you think it would cause problems to coat over the mystery chemical spots? I didn’t even notice the truck until it was spraying my windshield. Stupid Truck!

·
Premium Member
2021 chevy bolt premier ev
289 Posts
View attachment 37580 Hi everyone. I was working on washing/ceramic coating my car today. About a month after buying the car I passed a truck that was spraying out some nasty, unknown liquid. It made grayish-white spot marks all over my car. It was really hard to wash it off my window. I have now washed my car twice today with the pressure washer and the spots won't go away, even after scrubbing it with a sponge and rag. Any ideas? I was cleaning it really well to apply Adam’s Graphene Ceramic Coating. Do you think it would cause problems to coat over the mystery chemical spots? I didn’t even notice the truck until it was spraying my windshield. Stupid Truck!
Sounds like they were spraying a gunite type solution, this is typically a water tower, or swimming pool type application
Your car sounds like it was overspray and the wind carried it
This is similar to concrete
You need it professionally removed not do it yourself as you could Ruin your paint job
Too bad you couldn't find the crew responsible for doing this and make them pay for the damages
Continue to look around the area where you were parked you might get lucky and find them
working and get them to pay for the damages

·
Registered
1,333 Posts
DDT?

Who knows what it is. It is on the surface? Guess you can try vinegar in a small area to see if lime based.

·
Registered
60 Posts
Try distilled white vinegar warm water mix (50/50) mis it up for a few minutes in a spray bottle. Soak the area pretty well and let it sit for a few minute. Rinse that and repeat. The vinegar should be acidic enough to remove that. You may want to follow that with clay and even a light polish. The ceramic coating is like a clear coat for your clear coat. Anything under that will stay well protected, so you want to have everything removed first.

I did my wife’s EUV with the Adam’s Graphene and it turns out well.

·
Premium Member
180 Posts
I was working on washing/ceramic coating my car today. About a month after buying the car I passed a truck that was spraying out some nasty, unknown liquid. It made grayish-white spot marks all over my car. It was really hard to wash it off my window. I have now washed my car twice today with the pressure washer and the spots won't go away, even after scrubbing it with a sponge and rag. Any ideas? I was cleaning it really well to apply Adam’s Graphene Ceramic Coating. Do you think it would cause problems to coat over the mystery chemical spots? I didn’t even notice the truck until it was spraying my windshield. Stupid Truck!
My absolutely unreliable opinion on your question is I'd be Concerned that the ceramic coating could seal the paint stains in even more permanently, it may protect them.

But in your situation I would get an estimate from a professional detailer or even professional paint shop how much they would charge to do a perfect fix.
This could very likely be covered under the comprehensive portion of your insurance.
(if a pebble Drops off a truck and smashes your windshield it’s usually covered under comprehensive.)
The only question is what the deductible is on your comprehension. On one of mine at one time the deductible on comprehensive was only $100.

Al

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Thanks everyone! I’m going to try the vinegar mixture and then the clay bar. It was an old, rusty, black construction dump truck of sorts. I wondered if it was some kind of cement waste slurry. I have never heard of a clay bar before. If those steps don’t work, then I’m going to call up the pros. I can’t tell if the spray etched into the finish or not. I think it is on the surface, but I can’t tell for sure.

·
Registered
3,843 Posts
I have never heard of a clay bar before.
Read how to use it and practice in an unaffected area. Make sure paint is absolutely as clean as possible. Use lots of soapy water. You'll get a feel for how the clay bar slides over the paint and catches a little on any surface contaminants. You slide it over the surface, not rubbing hard like your sanding a block of wood. You might even want to start with the windshield to get a feel for it. Works great at removing water spots.

·
Registered
871 Posts
For concrete - acid. It is the safest for the surface (scratches), but depends on the paint it may or may not cause some discolloration.
Acid? You can start with vinegar. Long exposure will do it.
Stronger? Hydrochloric.
But nothing further than that as it will for sure damage paint.

·
Registered
2021 Bolt LT - Kinetic Blue
211 Posts
My opinion says DONT try this yourself. You will only make it harder for the pro to fix it once you call them. Or, worse, damage the paint beyond repair.
My dad has won multiple regional and national concours with several cars over the years. I support exactly what lucycan is saying. I would trust myself to correct it without doing additional damage using the right tools and products, but that comes with years of experience. Do not try acids (I'm a chemical engineer) or magic eraser (microabrasives). Anything you do incorrectly will make correcting it either harder or result in irreversible damage. Hope I'm not too late in replying to this thread to save you the pain.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts