Chevy Bolt EV Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I picked up a Summit White Bolt Premier with all the trimmings last week - my first EV. Gotta say, I'm very impressed. My routine is generally low-speed local driving, and after 80 miles it's still showing 204 miles - I've had it 10 days and have yet to charge. I drive almost exclusively in Re-gen and was pleased with how easy it is to adapt to one-pedal driving. Had 4 guys in the car the other night and didn't notice any change in driving characteristics.

I don't plan to install a charger at home. Mountain View has numerous charging stations at most of the places I haunt, generally within short walking distances if need be.

Of course, the driver's manual is getting dog-eared - but I've pretty much completed configuring preferences and appearance, including Android Auto, myChevrolet, and figuring out all the buttons, paddles, and switches on the steering wheel. The flux capacitor also seems pretty straightforward...:D

·
Super Moderator
2,561 Posts
I'm loving mine too! Welcome to the forum! I admire the brave folks like you that opt just for public charging. I'm just the opposite. I have yet use a public charger, but I did sign up for some memberships, got some cards and downloaded some apps just incase.

·
Registered
4,526 Posts
I'm loving mine too! Welcome to the forum! I admire the brave folks like you that opt just for public charging. I'm just the opposite. I have yet use a public charger, but I did sign up for some memberships, got some cards and downloaded some apps just incase.
It annoys me no end that the public charging infrastructure is so complicated to use. If a gas station chain decided that you couldn't buy gas at it's locations unless you pre-applied for a membership, got one of the their own proprietary RFID cards and loaded one of their apps onto your phone, they'd go out of business within a year.

At least with gas stations you could probably get away with doing it for just one chain. EV chargers are still scarce enough that you need to go through all this rigamarole with several companies - it's ridiculous.

The first charging network that lets me charge at a reasonable rate with nothing more than my credit card is the one that will get all my business.

·
Registered
1,031 Posts
Once you have the flux capacitor in line, all is well. That typically gets the best of most people but I find it pretty simple myself. ;)

Welcome to the forums though :)

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I understand that most will want to be able to charge quickly at home. I have the 110 cable, of course, and will use it if necessary - but here in Google, CA there is quite a bit of infrastructure. I should also point out that I'm retired and no longer have a regular commute, so I don't drive the Bolt every day. I have a small truck that I'm keeping for its utility and as a backup vehicle.

·
Registered
734 Posts
Once you have the flux capacitor in line, all is well. That typically gets the best of most people but I find it pretty simple myself. ;)

Welcome to the forums though :)
On a serious note I bet the military has some charging technology thats years ahead of what us regular joes will have. Then of course there's what all the development teams are working on currently which makes you wonder how intense things can get.

·
Registered
1,486 Posts
Welcome to the forum! I think your ten day record could be the start of a competition to see who can go without charging the longest. :D
Pretty convenient living in Cali, I assume there's probably a few around you that'll let you charge for free too.

·
Registered
1,031 Posts
On a serious note I bet the military has some charging technology thats years ahead of what us regular joes will have. Then of course there's what all the development teams are working on currently which makes you wonder how intense things can get.
I'm pretty sure they do and wouldn't doubt that at all. There's a lot of tech that's in development or been developed that isn't released to the public or even shown to the public at all

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Welcome to the forum! I think your ten day record could be the start of a competition to see who can go without charging the longest. :D
Pretty convenient living in Cali, I assume there's probably a few around you that'll let you charge for free too.
Thanks! Well, since I don't drive particularly far or even every day, it's probably not a fair competition. I am on my way to downtown Mountain View, though, and I'm going to charge the car and possibly walk back home for a while. I want to see how far I can reasonably go on a full charge during my normal routine. When I picked up the car from the dealer, it didn't quite have a full charge because I needed to get going.

Next week I plan to take the Bolt to Pescadero on the coast over a very tightly-wound mountain road. Should be a good test of charge and driveability. There are no chargers over in that area, but I can honestly say that doesn't concern me.

·
Registered
1,486 Posts
Should be fine to take the Bolt over mountain roads so long as you're not cutting it too close and if you happen to find a charger near a nice diner, then all the better.
Would be great to read a drive report of your trip later on.

·
Registered
639 Posts
On that note, make use of all the apps and information on where to locate charging stations and plan accordingly. Odds are you can batch in charging with a stop over at starbucks ;)

·
Registered
181 Posts
Next week I plan to take the Bolt to Pescadero on the coast over a very tightly-wound mountain road. Should be a good test of charge and driveability. There are no chargers over in that area, but I can honestly say that doesn't concern me.
I have done that trip. From my place in Fremont, I drove over to pick up a friend in Los Altos, then over the hill and down through La Honda, up the coast for lunch at the Moss Beach Distillery. After lunch we went up through Pacifica, and back down skyline drive.

I charged before I left home and again that night after another 30 miles of errands.

Ed

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Should be fine to take the Bolt over mountain roads so long as you're not cutting it too close and if you happen to find a charger near a nice diner, then all the better.
Would be great to read a drive report of your trip later on.
I'll give it a shot on Monday or Tuesday (24th/25th) and report back.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
I have done that trip. From my place in Fremont, I drove over to pick up a friend in Los Altos, then over the hill and down through La Honda, up the coast for lunch at the Moss Beach Distillery. After lunch we went up through Pacifica, and back down skyline drive.

I charged before I left home and again that night after another 30 miles of errands.

Ed
Excellent! It's a shorter trip from Mountain View, so I should have electrons to spare. I'll just make some final adjustments to the carburetor...

1 - 14 of 14 Posts