Chevy Bolt EV Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I helped my friend buy a level 2 outdoors EVSE for your Bolt, and after researching this blog, we decided on a Grizzl-e Classic. I liked the idea that they seemed to be a smart young company who seemed attentive to quality. My friend who happens to be a single woman with zero technical understanding of the world was in agreement. It turned out that she was shipped a bad one that lasted about 1 week and abruptly died. Talk about buyers remorse: you think you have chosen a company that should be great with a very strong reputation among the EV crowd. We thought that they had some 'splainin to do about shipping her a piece of crap, but they had no sympathy at all. She could ship the unit back, but they would not pay for her electrician's labor or for her shipping. Their attitude was no - we don't do that - we don't care what you have to say.

Now it may be their policy to do this, and they may feel that they have no way of accommodating any requests like this, but the whole experience was a real negative. They apparently saw no value in trying to make her feel better, and they stuck to their policy. To me this is the kind of cold short-sighted attitude that hurts a young company. You expect a big corporation to treat you that way, but a little one: you feel like they might try and play the "customer is always right" card. I am just putting this out to warn you that they are not going to try and give you a hug - just cold business. Myself, I think this kind of company needs to have an attitude like North Face or Yakima - where they want to reassure the customer that they have their back.

Since they swapped the lemon for a working model, there has been no problem. I have nothing negative to say about the product - just the management.

·
Registered
2021 LT Nightshade Grey
184 Posts
The EVSE just plugs in. Why would you need an electrician for this part?

I would agree they should have paid return shipping once they verified the unit was defective.

·
Registered
132 Posts
Did the original poster hard wire the Grizzle-E ?

I can imagine that a failed, hard wired unit might be especially aggravating.

·
Registered
27 Posts
I'm going to guess that they called out an electrician to figure out why the EVSE stopped working.
I agreed, most people does not have a meter or know how to used it. Been a brand new unit, they probably paid an electrician to check the connection.

·
Registered
66 Posts
I have had to ship back 2 Juicebox units that stopped working during the warranty period. It’s a hardwired unit. I’m comfortable disconnect and reconnecting the wires, but I can imagine a lot of folks don’t want to mess with a 240 volt circuit.

·
Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I have had to ship back 2 Juicebox units that stopped working during the warranty period. It’s a hardwired unit. I’m comfortable disconnect and reconnecting the wires, but I can imagine a lot of folks don’t want to mess with a 240 volt circuit.
Because her charging location is unsecured, she needed a non-portable hardwired EVSE. So yes, she had an electrician run conduit and give her a 50 amp circuit. My point is that even if you don't normally pay for the customer's labor, it is probably a great investment to tell the customer that you you are going to send them some money because your product failed almost immediately. They could have sent her $50 or $100 and she would have been happy. I have a feeling the owners of the company grew up in a different country where the concept of trying to please your customer would been unusual.

·
Registered
2021 LT Nightshade Grey
184 Posts
Because her charging location is unsecured, she needed a non-portable hardwired EVSE. So yes, she had an electrician run conduit and give her a 50 amp circuit. My point is that even if you don't normally pay for the customer's labor, it is probably a great investment to tell the customer that you you are going to send them some money because your product failed almost immediately. They could have sent her $50 or $100 and she would have been happy. I have a feeling the owners of the company grew up in a different country where the concept of trying to please your customer would been unusual.
Can you make one company that does that as standard procedure? Say you bought a laptop and it died in a week. You use that for business. Do you think the laptop company is going to send you cash for your lost earnings?

I don’t know that much about Grizzl-E, other than they are a small Canadian company. I doubt by the time they pay for shipping out the replacement they could afford to send customers cash anytime it fails under warranty.

I doubt it has anything to do with what country they grew up in. Don’t even know why you would feel the need to put that in there.

·
Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Any high end outdoor gear that I buy always bends over backwards to help the customer. Yakima and Thule have gone far beyond the call of duty when I have any issues. As far as the country, note that not every country has the luxury of buying the things you need without too much government interference. Not every country has the extensive population of wealthy customers. The vibe I got from them is FU - we are not going lift our little finger to help you out. I know they are not native English speakers and I can only guess that life was way harder for them to grow up and survive then people in the USA. We take for granted many things that don't happen in other political systems.

·
Registered
66 Posts
If the company provides a hardwired version (i.e., they know it isn’t plug and play), and that version is bad from the jump, I don’t think it’s unreasonable that they meet the buyer halfway.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts