Chevy Bolt EV Forum banner
181 - 200 of 202 Posts

·
Registered
7,501 Posts
I’m also concerned about my Bolt’s value, in the eyes of the public, if the battery is not fixed. If Bolts are dubbed as lemons they will have no value.
Time will tell. Another possible outcome is that the battery replacements are successful, there are no more fires (or none attributable to battery defects, anyway), and used Bolts command a high price because they've all got new batteries with a new warranty.

But we won't really know for at least a year or three.

·
Registered
2,397 Posts
There are "anti-EV people"? what the...?
I could be rich if I quoted the anti-EV garbage I see if I poke around enough. Here's another one today. A former colleague and friend posted something on his FB page that was political. One of his points was "non gas vehicles". One of his FB friends (don't know their relationship) in the US replied "Non gas cars how in the **** are u getting to work??? A 65k car wtf".

I replied about driving BEVs for over 8 years to/from work, 1st one was leased and 2nd was a used one that I bought for $9,325 + tax and license. I charge for free at work. I also pointed him to a list of EVs, some affordable and way less than "65k" at Compare Electric Cars: EV Range, Specs, Pricing & More. My friend replied about driving his Prius Prime (a PHEV) mostly charging for free at work putting in 8 gallons of gasoline every 2-3 months. That dude replies "oh just stop no gas no coal no oil u snowflakes are something else".

Sigh...

·
Registered
132 Posts
I could be rich if I quoted the anti-EV garbage I see if I poke around enough. Here's another one today. A former colleague and friend posted something on his FB page that was political. One of his points was "non gas vehicles". One of his FB friends (don't know their relationship) in the US replied "Non gas cars how in the **** are u getting to work??? A 65k car wtf".

I replied about driving BEVs for over 8 years to/from work, 1st one was leased and 2nd was a used one that I bought for $9,325 + tax and license. I charge for free at work. I also pointed him to a list of EVs, some affordable and way less than "65k" at Compare Electric Cars: EV Range, Specs, Pricing & More. My friend replied about driving his Prius Prime (a PHEV) mostly charging for free at work putting in 8 gallons of gasoline every 2-3 months. That dude replies "oh just stop no gas no coal no oil u snowflakes are something else".

Sigh...
When i run into someone who tried to be obnoxious like that, I have, multiple times, used a variation of "don't worry about it, new technology is always hard for <older/less intelligent/etc> ppl.. but just as there were die hard horse and buggy fans, the world will move on without you"
Where <> is whatever's most applicable to that person.
Not likely to make a lot of friends w it, but I'm okay w that. 😁

·
Registered
Premier, Yo, with every goodie!
1,440 Posts
... A former colleague and friend posted something on his FB page that was political. ..
One of his FB friends (don't know their relationship) in the US replied....
That dude replies "oh just stop no gas no coal no oil u snowflakes are something else".
Geez, I don't miss FB..
At least we use capital letters and punctuation marks....:rolleyes:

... I have, multiple times, used a variation of "don't worry about it, new technology is always hard for <older/less intelligent/etc> ppl.. but just as there were die hard horse and buggy fans, the world will move on without you"
Good One !! (y)
Now if I only had a place to stir it up like that !:p

Reactions: SpicyBolt

·
Premium Member
160 Posts
Wondering if there is even ONE other person in these forums that is entirely happy with their Bolt purchase, regardless of recalls, range limitations, squeaks, groans, noises, smells, uncomfortable pieces / parts, etc...
Or is everybody else just here to *, whine, moan, complain, etc. because they're having some sort of 'buyers remorse' because they thought they were buying one thing, but ended up buying something else, because that particular person didn't do any research, and so on and so on…
we're delighted with our 2021. Warts and all. Relieved that we got it (new) before GM put a hold on dealer sales.

bu, hey, folks who purchased theirs needing close to the full approx 250 mile range and/or realistically find it a significant PITA to be unable to feel safe charging in the garage have good reason to complain.

·
Registered
3,413 Posts
I tell myself that when they sell an EV it should come with a six week community college course on it's operation, care, and feeding.
I happened to be thinking about this today. I think the root cause of the problem is not so much learning new things but un-learning old things, which is much harder. If you didn't already know everything about the care and feeding of an ICE, learning an EV would be much easier. It's like when the software you've used for years has a major update that changes several things and it totally throws you off and you hate it because you have to un-learn the way you had been doing things. Eventually you un-learn the old way and learn the new way of doing things and many times you eventually find it's better.

So it's like upgrading from Windows 7 to Windows 8. Wait... maybe that's a bad example.

·
Registered
224 Posts
My Bolt EV puts a smile on my face every time I am driving it. I am still finding excuses to get out and drive it even after almost 3 years of ownership. About the battery issue, well, I was keeping my Bolt EV at 80% SOC anyway. Only when I needed the full 450 km (summer) or 275 km (winter) range I would have charge to 100%. I bought my 2019 in December 4th 2018. And I’ll get a new battery (bigger) in December 6th 2021.

The covid put a big stop to my long trips in the last two years, so I am now at 48k km. Of which, 30k km were done before covid. I still park in the garage and keep it charging. 13 cars out of 100 000+ doesn’t sound too impressive. Trumpers say : "covid is killing less than 2%, why would we get a vaccine ?!?" but they belittle the Bolt EV getting fire…. Can’t they do the math ?!?

·
Registered
224 Posts
@Voldar, can you please stop with the trolling everywhere?
It’s not trolling. I didn’t have a better analogy to explain the discrepancy between the 14 out of 100 000 cars who caught fire and the outrage of some people here against GM versus other stuff that’s even more important and life threatening were people (maybe some of the complainers) don’t give a flying **** about. But yes, I‘ll stop the questioning, I had my answer. Thank you !

·
Registered
132 Posts
The Bolt has been the perfect car for me since I bought it in 2017. After 65,000 miles, I still love it and I’m hoping the batteries with new modules get installed quickly.
Well, I wouldn't hold your breathe.. I'm guessing it'll be quite some time till us older bolt owners get new packs. 😄
That being said, I'm not too upset about racking up more and more kms/miles on the old pack. As long as mine doesn't ignite in the interm, I'll just have that much less usage on the new one.

·
Registered
7,501 Posts
...I'm not too upset about racking up more and more kms/miles on the old pack. As long as mine doesn't ignite in the interm, I'll just have that much less usage on the new one.
I'm a "buy and hold" guy when it comes to cars - I buy 'em and I run 'em for as long as it's economical to do so. So I'm better off if it takes longer it to get a new battery, it just means the car is likely to last that much longer.

·
Registered
7,501 Posts
I tell myself that when they sell an EV it should come with a six week community college course on it's operation, care, and feeding.;)
I remember when Segways came out and buyers were required to take a course in how to handle them. Now they sell scooters and hoverboards from China by the millions and any old Tom, Dick or Harry can jump on one and terrorize the city...

·
Registered
132 Posts
I'm a "buy and hold" guy when it comes to cars - I buy 'em and I run 'em for as long as it's economical to do so. So I'm better off if it takes longer it to get a new battery, it just means the car is likely to last that much longer.
I wonder if we can just put our replacement pack on 'hold'.. just keep driving them for years, and once degradation becomes too bad, way down the road, sure, I'll take my battery recall now, thank you. :)

·
Registered
224 Posts
I wonder if we can just put our replacement pack on 'hold'.. just keep driving them for years, and once degradation becomes too bad, way down the road, sure, I'll take my battery recall now, thank you. :)
From the data gathered, it looks like the battery pack you have now will register a perceivable degradation in about 10-11 years, which means you might not have the car at that time to put in the new pack. Did you thought of that ? 🤔

·
Registered
132 Posts
From the data gathered, it looks like the battery pack you have now will register a perceivable degradation in about 10-11 years, which means you might not have the car at that time to put in the new pack. Did you thought of that ? 🤔
Touche! Though, presumably in that case, I got more money when I sold it with it's "Free New Battery" voucher. :)

181 - 200 of 202 Posts