Chevy Bolt EV Forum banner
161 - 180 of 202 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
I like this post, more often than not Bolt forums are full of people griping about their cars and detailing how they're getting rid of it. I think there is a HUGE chunk of us out here looking sideways and thinking - "Get rid of it? Heck no, I freaking LOVE the **** car!"

2020LT in northern Michigan and I'm VERY happy with my Bolt. I plan to get at least 200k miles on this car, it's the most fun I've ever had commuting. I've had sports cars, muscle cars, big 4x4 trucks, minivans, and everything in between, nothing has compared to the driving experience of my humble looking Bolt hatchback. Chevy made an amazing car.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Wondering if there is even ONE other person in these forums that is entirely happy with their Bolt purchase, regardless of recalls, range limitations, squeaks, groans, noises, smells, uncomfortable pieces / parts, etc...
Or is everybody else just here to *, whine, moan, complain, etc. because they're having some sort of 'buyers remorse' because they thought they were buying one thing, but ended up buying something else, because that particular person didn't do any research, and so on and so on.

I, for one, am completely happy, 112teen percent happy, with my purchase...and purchase...not took possession of something a bank still owns but purchase, of my 2021 Bolt LT....complete with all it's limitations (which I researched and knew about), recalls (which I somewhat expected and as there is a resolution on the way, I'm satisfied), squeaks/groans/noises (haven't been thru a full-on winter yet but I've had newer cars that make noises in the cold cold), smells (new car duh), uncomfortable parts (research indicated the seats weren't the greatest, but I'm not spending hours and hours continuously in them either).

Get over it.
I was delighted with our Bolt (2018 Premier). Sold it back to GM however. Risk of fire was not ok. But, batteries aside, the car was superb. Will look at GM again once the Ultium Batteries are available. I'm sure GM is building on the lessons learned and Next time around, the cars won't have a fire hazard.

·
Registered
89 Posts
I would say "entirely happy". I love the Bolt. Parking outside is no big issue for me (till winter), nor is keeping a somewhat lower charge.

I have worked in the computer industry. Hardware and software bugs are inevitable. We always have to determine how to solve them, who is most affected by problems, and how to roll out the fix, all the while looking at cost constraints. New software is a lot cheaper than new hardware, and I have personally done software fixes to work around hardware problems.

So all this is to say that the Bolt problem is kind of a perfect storm of a serious hardware problem that in a low percent of cases causes serious harm, and on top of that an attempted software fix that did not work. Rather than being angry or dissatisfied, I feel sorry for the engineers involved. One can be angry at a corporation, but in the end it comes down to individuals making decisions, usually with insufficient and unavailable information. That is a hard job.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Wondering if there is even ONE other person in these forums that is entirely happy with their Bolt purchase, regardless of recalls, range limitations, squeaks, groans, noises, smells, uncomfortable pieces / parts, etc...
Or is everybody else just here to *, whine, moan, complain, etc. because they're having some sort of 'buyers remorse' because they thought they were buying one thing, but ended up buying something else, because that particular person didn't do any research, and so on and so on.

I, for one, am completely happy, 112teen percent happy, with my purchase...and purchase...not took possession of something a bank still owns but purchase, of my 2021 Bolt LT....complete with all it's limitations (which I researched and knew about), recalls (which I somewhat expected and as there is a resolution on the way, I'm satisfied), squeaks/groans/noises (haven't been thru a full-on winter yet but I've had newer cars that make noises in the cold cold), smells (new car duh), uncomfortable parts (research indicated the seats weren't the greatest, but I'm not spending hours and hours continuously in them either).

Get over it.
I bought a 2019 Premier in January 2020. It is a great car. Does all advertised plus more. I have had my gom show as high as 372 max. Easily go 300 miles on a charge. Best deal for money. Everyone who drives it likes it. Completely satisfied. Like the dash on the new model much better than the 2019. Think GM did a good job designing this car.

·
Registered
2020 Bolt LT
418 Posts
GM did many things right with the BOLT, which makes most of us like it.
Tall cabin, seat come up high so the legs can rest comfortably. Easy to get in and out of the car.
Hatchback, it can haul stuff with the seat forded.
GM made it "ballzy" - aka unleashed plenty of power/torque to make it fun to drive.
Plenty of range for an every day/all-around use car.
Fast enough charge rate on L2 to be used as commuter/running choirs car, day after day.
It's quiet, (no engine noise), and has a good sound system for music.
One pedal driving and regen paddle integration are fantastic.
Needs no fuel!, + very low maintenance cost. We are not at the mercy of the oil companies.
last but not least... at the end of 2020, GM did a firesale with rebates, and if had a GM's (CapitalOne ($3500 off) bank "buy power" credit-card and some points, it made it a 1/2 off $ MSRP deal on new 2020 models.

·
Registered
5 Posts

Get over it.
Love ours every time I get in it, and nothings burned down yet 😜. If they replace batteries on my 2017 bolt, bonus!

·
Registered
5 Posts

Get over it.
Unfortunately the complainers get most of the attention. I for one am perfectly happy with my 2019 bolt. I live in Vegas and its absolutely perfect for my town. I can drive to my cabin and back or lake Meade and back and still have close to 1/2 a charge left. I wouldn't give up my bolt for anything. When Chevy replaces my battery someday I will be even more happy. Until then no problems here after 30k miles and 2 1/2 years of ownership. Luv the car.

·
Registered
1 Posts

Get over it.
We love our 2017 Bolt. We knew when we bought it at the major problem for us is the poor seats. Seats don’t bother my spouse but on a long trip I notice it. I solved that in a hurry by buying a memory foam Seat cushion with a cut out where your tailbone goes so if you have a sore tailbone you don’t have problems. So for $50 we solved our problem and will just wait until we get new modules or battery. It’s a fun car and just right for us. Chuck

·
Registered
7 Posts

Get over it.
I love my Bolt. Most of my driving is local. I look forward to a better infrastructure system so I could easily take road trips.

·
Registered
245 Posts
Yep, agreed.
Although I can easily see in bigger cities, mandating no ICE vehicles for traffic and air quality issues.
I grew up in Los Angeles and moved in the mid 80's. So I remember the smog there. The difference between then and now is incredible...
Of course, if everyone goes EV quickly, then the traffic benefit in those situations becomes mute.. ;-)
I live in california in the 90's central valley even 80's to 90 to 2000 if people want cats of cars they got a long way to go here.

·
Registered
245 Posts
I like this post, more often than not Bolt forums are full of people griping about their cars and detailing how they're getting rid of it. I think there is a HUGE chunk of us out here looking sideways and thinking - "Get rid of it? Heck no, I freaking LOVE the **** car!"

2020LT in northern Michigan and I'm VERY happy with my Bolt. I plan to get at least 200k miles on this car, it's the most fun I've ever had commuting. I've had sports cars, muscle cars, big 4x4 trucks, minivans, and everything in between, nothing has compared to the driving experience of my humble looking Bolt hatchback. Chevy made an amazing car.
"Get rid of it? Heck no, I freaking LOVE the **** car!"

ME, check engine while charging and dealer cant figure out... check
door rattle check
pop in rear while car is off not moving check or moving check
car pulls to right check.
Mine was a full on fire hazard.

·
Registered
8 Posts
I love my 2019. Range continues to increase with more conservative driving. I never brought my car in for the range limiting recall. After all the rebates and incentives, my Bolt cost $26,500 and is now worth $23,000. Someday, they are going to give me a new battery pack. I've never had a car that was so cheap to drive.

·
Registered
156 Posts
I bring my 2019 Bolt in to get the battery recall service done on the 15th of next month and love that the 8 year 100 k waranty gets renewed after that. I love my Bolt and would love that It may be the last car I ever own. I'm nuts about Bolts!
"nuts about Bolts" -- I think you should sell that slogan to GM :)

·
Registered
‘17 Prius Prime and ‘17 Nissan Leaf
5 Posts
Well we are still very pleased with our 2020 Bolt. The fact of the matter is it is one of the very few (probably the only) cars available that I could buy for new in the low $20k range at the time. That’s like 1/2 a Tesla 3 or just about every other offering out there period. And the car is light years ahead of our old 2017 Leaf as far as range and drive-ability. Yes I’ll be happy when the battery issues are behind us. In the mean time I’m being patient and still loving my leaf for all of the reasons I bought it originally

·
Registered
18 Posts
I am 6'-2", weigh 315 lbs. and am 20" wide at the hips. I have two fused vertebrae and am 75 years old. The seats in my ‘18 Bolt were/are an issue for me. They are too narrow and not padded enough. I discovered this on my first trip over 15 mi. I was literally sitting on the frame of the seat. 😢 After adding a 1-1/2" thick Garden Kneeling Pad (as documented in several videos on the web) between the seat's original padding and it's springs I can now live with it though the back is still too narrow.

Before this modification I was able to get in and out with ease. Now that I have added the pad my head rubs extensively on the roof when I get in. This is literally a pain in my neck, back and head. Many times I worry about injuring myself.

I’m also concerned about my Bolt’s value, in the eyes of the public, if the battery is not fixed. If Bolts are dubbed as lemons they will have no value.

All things considered, I LOVE my Bolt! It is one of the best vehicles I have ever owned/driven. I especially like the fact that I don’t feel guilty driving it. Look Ma, no tailpipe!

·
Registered
1 Posts
Concur with all positives cited above. I love the Bolt so much, I bought two of them, his & hers. I have always used hilltop or 90% limit, not because of fire hazard, but to assure that dynamic braking is available after full charging.

Yes, certainly the best engineered car ever.

·
Registered
2018 Bolt Premier
2 Posts

Get over it.
My Bolt battery faulted mid-July and was towed to the dealer where it sat over 3 months while they waited for a replacement battery pack to be built. During that time, GM and/or the dealer, supplied me loaner cars and rentals (all ICE vehicles), and promised to pay for my gas. I drive 110 miles a day to work and back and burned ~$700 in gas. I just got my Bolt back and so far I'm super happy. It feels great to be in an EV again. I love my 2018 Bolt. I had 77,000 miles on it so another 100,000-mile battery warranty is a special bonus. I used over $700 in fuel during the time my Bolt was at the shop, and my electric bill only went down by around $25 a month (I have hourly rates and charge at night). If they pay for my gas, I’ll be super happy, but even if they don’t, I’m happy. I’m not happy there was a battery issue, but I’m totally happy with the Dealer and GM and how they dealt with it.

161 - 180 of 202 Posts