Chevy Bolt EV Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm in the process of installing a V1 radar detector, have it mounted and ready to connect power. I ran a wire down the driver side A pillar (carefully around the airbag!) and down to the fuse panel below the dash. Found a good ground connection but am wondering about the best fuse to tap. BTW, this car uses Micro2 fuses, very small and need a Micro2 size tap.

I've hardwired many detectors over the years but I will say, looking at the fuse panel, the Bolt has very unique fused circuits I'm not used to seeing, video processing, data links, amplifiers, etc... I'm thinking of tapping the heated steering wheel fuse. That ought to be a switched source and frankly its a simple function of the car that I understand. Many of the other circuits....not so understandable, dont want to mess anything up.

Anyone else done this? Would like to hear other's opinions. I'll post pictures of the finished install.

Thanks!

·
Registered
1,087 Posts
Just find one that has power with the vehicle in Run Mode and no power when turned off.
A DVOM or test light will answer that question.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks for the reply. I did see that install, it was powered by the mirror electronics. I tried to pull those panels off but was afraid something was going to break. I have my install powered off the fuse panel low on the driver's side dash.

I had time and the tap connection to do this today. Want to document it for others in the future.

As mentioned in my OP, I pulled the weather stripping back from the driver's side door around the upper A pillar area, then carefully threaded the power wire through to be exposed just in front of the headliner at the windshield on the driver's side. Care needs to be taken as there are airbags installed above the driver's side door.

Removed the cover on the fuse panel, then snaked the wire down to the panel along the weather stripping lip. Put the weather stripping back in place, it accommodated the wire no problem. You'd never know anything was going through that area after I put it back together. Next I found a good ground, a 10mm nut holding the panel to other structure around the steering wheel. Connected the ground. Used a Micro2 fuse tap and ended up using an open slot in the panel. Note, only Micro2 size taps will work in this panel, they are available on Amazon. I used position number F22. It is a switched source, the power to the radar detector goes off when the ignition is turned off and the drivers door is opened.

Got it all buttoned up, works great and the detector itself in not easy to see from outside the car.

Some photos attached.

Hope others find this useful in the future.

Attachments

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.