Chevy Bolt EV Forum banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,276 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Looking at Chargepoint, seems some HD are changing their stations from free to paid. Price around 20 cents a KWh.
 
  • Like
Reactions: GetOffYourGas

·
Registered
Joined
·
454 Posts
I ag
I'd call them slow speed DC chargers.
I agree. I've used the crap 55 amp max "24 kW" https://www.chargepoint.com/products/commercial/cpe100/ elsewhere before. I posted about it at https://mynissanleaf.com/viewtopic.php?p=559905#p559905. I began at 19 kW at about 37% SoC and reached 21 kW when I took off at around 79%. At around 75%, Bolt's battery cooling kicked on, rather noisily.

There's only 1 Harley dealer in my city and it's not an area I normally go to nor pass by. I can see it on ChargePoint. It's set to a VERY cheap (by Bay Area standards) 10 cents/kWh for 9 am to 7 pm. Outside those hours, it's an expensive 50 cents/kWh.

I might go by there to get juice sometime when I'm taking days off from work as it's more than double the cheaper cost for me to charge at home.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
908 Posts
Looking at Chargepoint, seems some HD are changing their stations from free to paid. Price around 20 cents a KWh.
I count this as good news. $0.20/kWh is very reasonable (more expensive than home, but much cheaper than gas), and probably gives them a little profit to boot. I've seen 7kW L2 chargers which cost more than that. If HD makes a small profit, that encourages them to open the chargers to any customer, regardless of the vehicle they drive.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,276 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I ag

I agree. I've used the crap 55 amp max "24 kW" https://www.chargepoint.com/products/commercial/cpe100/ elsewhere before. I posted about it at https://mynissanleaf.com/viewtopic.php?p=559905#p559905. I began at 19 kW at about 37% SoC and reached 21 kW when I took off at around 79%. At around 75%, Bolt's battery cooling kicked on, rather noisily.

There's only 1 Harley dealer in my city and it's not an area I normally go to nor pass by. I can see it on ChargePoint. It's set to a VERY cheap (by Bay Area standards) 10 cents/kWh for 9 am to 7 pm. Outside those hours, it's an expensive 50 cents/kWh.

I might go by there to get juice sometime when I'm taking days off from work as it's more than double the cheaper cost for me to charge at home.
That's interesting... I guess they're offering cheap rate during their operating hours to draw in potential customers. Otherwise, they would have probably set the 10 cent rate to start at midnight and end at 4pm (Summer non-peak rate).
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
432 Posts
I count this as good news. $0.20/kWh is very reasonable (more expensive than home, but much cheaper than gas), and probably gives them a little profit to boot. I've seen 7kW L2 chargers which cost more than that. If HD makes a small profit, that encourages them to open the chargers to any customer, regardless of the vehicle they drive.
Agree. I've definitely paid more for L2 chargers (happily not very often).

The one thing I can't figure out how to do is to filter by DCFC speed on PlugShare. That would make it harder to accidentally wind up at a slower charger than expected.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,276 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Agree. I've definitely paid more for L2 chargers (happily not very often).

The one thing I can't figure out how to do is to filter by DCFC speed on PlugShare. That would make it harder to accidentally wind up at a slower charger than expected.
You can select the CCS plug.

27901
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,415 Posts
I've found Plugshare to be inaccurate about 50% of the time on plug capacities. Of which, that is NOT Plugshare's fault. It's the nature of the beast with human reported content.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
908 Posts
The one thing I can't figure out how to do is to filter by DCFC speed on PlugShare. That would make it harder to accidentally wind up at a slower charger than expected.
I have requested this feature from PlugShare before. In response, I got an email saying that it was a commonly requested feature. Yet it still isn't an option. Go figure.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
5,458 Posts
Virtually every PlugShare site listing has pictures of the chargers. If it is a little box hanging on a wall, it is a slow charger, about the power a Model S or X owner may have built into their car. If it is a big standalone box, with gas hose sized cables, it is a medium speed charger. If it has well pipe sized cables, with a silver ring around the cooling jacket at the plug head, it is a fast charger.

All this said, your car may not benefit much from the fast charger, and any of these units may suffer from incoming power, or equipment problems at any time. If you can't deal with this, buy a Tesla.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,766 Posts
Virtually every PlugShare site listing has pictures of the chargers. If it is a little box hanging on a wall, it is a slow charger, about the power a Model S or X owner may have built into their car. If it is a big standalone box, with gas hose sized cables, it is a medium speed charger. If it has well pipe sized cables, with a silver ring around the cooling jacket at the plug head, it is a fast charger.
While true, the comment was that it isn't possible to filter the list ("The one thing I can't figure out how to do is to filter by DCFC speed"). PlugShare now allows the DCFC entries to show the speed of the charger(s), but doesn't let one only show DCFCs that have a minimum power output (that you set).

For example, this site:
https://www.plugshare.com/location/191333

has CCS/SAE DCFCs from 150-350 kW.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
5,458 Posts
While true, the comment was that it isn't possible to filter the list ("The one thing I can't figure out how to do is to filter by DCFC speed"). PlugShare now allows the DCFC entries to show the speed of the charger(s), but doesn't let one only show DCFCs that have a minimum power output (that you set).

For example, this site:
https://www.plugshare.com/location/191333

has CCS/SAE DCFCs from 150-350 kW.
OK. But you can filter by provider. So if you own a Bolt, you know that none of these EA chargers will ever deliver over 55 kW to your car, and since it is EA, you have an 80% chance of one that works at all, and a 50% chance of it delivering that 55 kW.

If you filter for EVgo the likelihood is 99.9% that they will work, and that they are 100 amp chargers.

If you filter for Greenlots, you will see a wrench icon 85% of the time. The other 15% of the time nobody has used it in so long, that the probability is 99% that the screen is milk white.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
736 Posts
A "24 kW" 55 amp DC charger is in no way fast, in my mind.
I guess if you look at it this way, it is Still faster then an L2 and SUPER fast compared to the Trickle Charger regular outlet (that I use at home for the time being).
It all depends on what you NEED. For now I only need my regular outlet as my commute is super short. But a 24kW would be fine for a charge if I was going to be at that place for a couple hours and needed a fuller charge.
All in the eye of the beholder ;)
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
432 Posts
OK. But you can filter by provider. So if you own a Bolt, you know that none of these EA chargers will ever deliver over 55 kW to your car, and since it is EA, you have an 80% chance of one that works at all, and a 50% chance of it delivering that 55 kW.

If you filter for EVgo the likelihood is 99.9% that they will work, and that they are 100 amp chargers.

If you filter for Greenlots, you will see a wrench icon 85% of the time. The other 15% of the time nobody has used it in so long, that the probability is 99% that the screen is milk white.
Yes, for those of us in the know, that works reasonably well. The ones that are least predictable are ChargePoint - anywhere from 22Kw to 100Kw. I do think it would be a valuable improvement though for the app. It's only going to become more complicated as vehicles capable of 100-150kw charging become more common.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
736 Posts
Yes, for those of us in the know, that works reasonably well. The ones that are least predictable are ChargePoint - anywhere from 22Kw to 100Kw. I do think it would be a valuable improvement though for the app. It's only going to become more complicated as vehicles capable of 100-150kw charging become more common.
That is funny, here in MA it is the Evgo that is unpredictable and many still the lesser amounts . Almost ALL of the DC Chargepoints are the New chargers with the higher amounts.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
432 Posts
That is funny, here in MA it is the Evgo that is unpredictable and many still the lesser amounts . Almost ALL of the DC Chargepoints are the New chargers with the higher amounts.
Interesting. I thought EvGo had standardized on just two types of ABB chargers, but I guess that's not the case elsewhere.

I was also partially wrong about PlugShare. Their iOS app does have a 'Minimum kilowatts' filter (0, 50, 70 or 120). Unfortunately, it's not available through the website.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
736 Posts
I just looked up the HD dealer the next town over.
Seems someone left a message that they were told it is ONLY for Motorcycles and is still not operational
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
5,458 Posts
Interesting. I thought EvGo had standardized on just two types of ABB chargers, but I guess that's not the case elsewhere.

I was also partially wrong about PlugShare. Their iOS app does have a 'Minimum kilowatts' filter (0, 50, 70 or 120). Unfortunately, it's not available through the website.
I think Lin19687 was talking about ChargePoint...the charging company?

I read that EVgo did install a few 150 kW-350 kW chargers recently.


Hey, you're right. The Android app has power level too. I'd still leave that set to zero, as choice of power level is still the least of our worries here in flyover country.
 
1 - 20 of 28 Posts
Top