Chevy Bolt EV Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Has anyone in here ever had to replace their brake pads on their Bolt? If you have, did you do it yourself? If you did, any problems or things the rest of us should know that might be different than a standard pad replacement on an ICE vehicle? What was your mileage at the time of replacement? Heck, I'm figuring I won't need to do a brake job until I hit 100K miles since 99.9% of my braking is regenerative.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Yea, kinda why I asked. Bolts have been around for 3 years now and I'm wondering if anyone had had to replace their pads for normal wear. Much less rotors.

·
Registered
685 Posts
Some of the Maven fleet Bolts were beat to cr*p, and Eric hit 100k this year, so you might get a response on this thread, however mine look like new at 27,000 miles...

·
Registered
977 Posts
This person almost did... turns out it was the dealer service department trying to pull a scam.

·
Registered
169 Posts
Nothing different from any other brake job. I've put my Bolt on a track and autocross it... you can't use the regen on a track for long as it causes too much heat buildup and you get a lack of propulsion. So driving in D and using the brakes is the better situation. The stock pads are not adequate for repeated hard braking from the 92 MPH speed limiter for 20+ minute session on a track, so I had to swap to new pads for track use. Back to the stock pads when not on the track, no biggie.

·
Registered
2 Posts
What pads do you use on the track? I am thinking of upgrading the pads just to get better traction control in the wet conditions that are usual here in the winter.

·
Registered
80 Posts
27k. My brakes actually seem to have gotten better with age.
The manual talks about a break-in period of 500 miles.. seems like it was more like 5k.

·
Registered
73 Posts
27k. My brakes actually seem to have gotten better with age.
The manual talks about a break-in period of 500 miles.. seems like it was more like 5k.
Perhaps a good reason to drive in D for a while when car is brand new? Then, if one prefers, switch to driving in L after the pads have had time to break in.

·
Registered
169 Posts
What pads do you use on the track? I am thinking of upgrading the pads just to get better traction control in the wet conditions that are usual here in the winter.
I run Carbotech pads for both autocross and track. They dust a lot, but I like the initial bite and modulation of them. Others use Hawk or EBC's.

·
Registered
2,388 Posts
I've never replaced a brake pad in any EV I've ever driven:

1997 GM PbA EV-1. Leased from 1997-1998. Recalled (and kept by GM) for safety reasons. One burned up.
1999 GM NiMH EV-1. Leased from 1999-2001.
1997(a) GM PbA EV-1. Leased from 2000-2002. (Recalled and refurbished 1997s were leased again.)
2001 Totota NiMH RAV4-EV. Bought new. Driven until 2011. Sold for $20k.
1999 Ford PbA Ranger EV. Bought in 2001 ($6k) off fleet lease. Owned 'til 2003, (PbA died). Sold for $6k.
2001 Derbi PbA E-GPR conversion. E-motorcycle conversion by Todd at Electric Motorsport of Oakland. Still own.
2011 Nissan LiIon Leaf. Bought new. Still own.
2011 Chevrolet LiIon Volt. Bought new. Still own.
2017 Chevrolet LiIon Bolt. Bought new. Still own.

·
Registered
260 Posts
Unless one is auto crossing, I don’t think anyone has enough miles on a Bolt to be near brake pad replacement.
We have millions of kilometres on a fleet of Corolla & Civic. They have all gone 130-150K kilometres before initial pad change.

·
Registered
1,624 Posts
Just because I was bored, I pulled the front wheels off my 2017 Bolt to take a look. At almost 60,000 miles, they still look new to me. No brake dust on rotors or wheels but then again, I drive mostly in L or use the paddles. View attachment 27730
Just another reason the service department doesn't like electric vehicles.. no brake jobs, no exhaust jobs, no belts/idler pulley, no alternator, no ignition coils, no oil changes, no transmission flush-n-fills, ... no shirt- no service :giggle:

·
Registered
61 Posts
Haha! The days of dealerships making a huge profit on selling cars is over. They need the marked up service $$$. I took my ICE hybrid in for an included oil change and my service advisor texted me asking if I want the cabin filter changed. I texted back “How much?”. One hour later, he texted back...$98. I replied **** are you out of your mind? I ordered a $13 replacement and put it in myself in 5 minutes!

·
Registered
2,894 Posts
Haha! The days of dealerships making a huge profit on selling cars is over. They need the marked up service $$$. I took my ICE hybrid in for an included oil change and my service advisor texted me asking if I want the cabin filter changed. I texted back “How much?”. One hour later, he texted back...$98. I replied **** are you out of your mind? I ordered a $13 replacement and put it in myself in 5 minutes!
Not only did you save money, but you know it actually got replaced.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts