Chevy Bolt EV Forum banner
1 - 20 of 37 Posts

·
Registered
185 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am in need of a newer car and am buying a 2017 Bolt LT, DCFC and seat heaters with 24,000 miles from a Dodge dealer. $17,000. Should I instruct them to charge the car all the way from 100 miles currently to hilltop 90% and read the guessometer as a rough diagnostic of battery health?

·
Registered
397 Posts
See if they will let you take a half a day test drive to feel secure about purchase and take it to Electrify America this holiday weekend for free charging and test it your self.

·
Registered
Premier, Yo, with every goodie!
1,335 Posts
The GOM will display a number related to how the car has been recently driven. It may not relate to 'battery health'.
But those dogs must have it charged up before you pick it up.
Just a common courtesy.

Reactions: surgeonFWW

·
Registered
185 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Tell them to charge it up to 100% and let it sit for a week surrounded by other cars. If they are brazen enough to sell this recalled car, they can stress test it a little for you.

I'm curious whether the dealership has you sign off on the fire risk.
I will have to sign off.

·
Registered
185 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
The GOM will display a number related to how the car has been recently driven. It may not relate to 'battery health'.
I should have taken note of that when I drove the car. The current average consumption is probably very low since it has been sitting around for several months. I am going to try to get torquepro with pids running today but it is not a ready to use app and is complicated.

·
Registered
1,335 Posts
... not already having an obvious problem that increases it's risk of a fire.
That's just it.
Nobody knows how to tell this...

edit:
Do not forget to get Gap Insurance.
This was only offered to me for 2 months from starting the loan from my CU.

·
Registered
1,335 Posts
...I would probably not buy one from a Dodge dealership either.
But if you want to get on this Gravy Train, you need to buy one somewhere.
Who cares what label is on their shirts?
GM dealers are out of this equation.

Reactions: Princeau99

·
Registered
766 Posts
Yes but it could take a year to get a new battery and I would rather start with a car that is not already having an obvious problem that increases it's risk of a fire.
Change that to 3+ years

There is no obvious problem to identify fire risk. That is the issue in a nutshell. If you are buying a Bolt because you think you are smarter than the average bear and can buy a safer Bolt, you should learn more first.

·
Registered
1,335 Posts
What he said!

This may be an excellent time to buy a Bolt,, hoping all goes well with the promised new modules,,, someday.

Most you can do is follow some/all of the safety recommendations. And get that Gap insurance...

·
Registered
2017 Bolt Premier, 2020 Bolt Premier
137 Posts
If it's a GM dealership they are breaking the law by selling it to you while the recall is open. I would probably not buy one from a Dodge dealership either.
It's not illegal to sell a used car with an open recall as long as it is disclosed. It is GM's stop sale that prevents GM dealers from selling used Bolts. As for the wisdom of buying a used Bolt right now, you're gambling on GM solving the problem somehow. Personally I still think it's worth the risk, but you'd better have some patience.

1 - 20 of 37 Posts