Chevy Bolt EV Forum banner
1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
145 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I anticipate stopping by one of these in the upcoming months. Already got the necessary equipment to charge my Bolt there. I'm wondering how the park owner charges for my use, is it per kWh, or per day. The latter doesn't make sense since I'm not planning to stay there the whole day. :laugh:

·
Registered
7,450 Posts
Almost all RV parks are independently owned, so it's really going to vary from place to place. I think that your best bet would be to sent an e-mail to a few of the RV parks you're considering and asking them if they're amenable and what they'd charge. And that way when you show up and someone else is on shift you'll have some documentary evidence that it's OK to charge there and what the pricing is going to be.

·
Registered
5,052 Posts
You definitely want to check with them first. I took a trip out to Arizona, and I decided to stop at various places reported on PlugShare along the way. Other than actually designated charging locations, I was turned away at every stop. Apparently, the behaviors of some EV owners have lead RV parks and campsites to start rejecting EV owners (especially if they aren't staying the night and camping).

https://youtu.be/VJL7-Bc5H7w

·
Registered
10,571 Posts
Yeah. Smug techies, and granola crunching liberals are not your typical RV park demographic. The parks around here had big Trump rallies, before the election. If you try this, I would be very deferential. Appeal to kindness to strangers...your crappy electric car won't make it to town, and you need help.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Yes. I have found some that accept $5 to charge. That seems like a fair amount considering charging like you said does not take all day and we are not using sewer or water hookups. I pay them straight cash.

·
Registered
163 Posts
Yeah. Smug techies, and granola crunching liberals are not your typical RV park demographic. The parks around here had big Trump rallies, before the election. If you try this, I would be very deferential. Appeal to kindness to strangers...your crappy electric car won't make it to town, and you need help.
Almost all EVs are made in America, and there electricity is 100% American-generated. They should totally support EVs.

·
Registered
10,571 Posts
Almost all EVs are made in America, and there electricity is 100% American-generated. They should totally support EVs.
Somewhere I saw a parts breakdown for the Model 3. A whole lot of the components are made in Asia...same for the Bolt, and I assume the Leaf. All three are assembled here. But that goes for all cars. The US energy angle is absolutely unassailable. However, I have had angry right-wingers say they would never buy an electric car from Government Motors, or Tesla. They claim these two were "bailed out" with taxpayer money. Reality won't penetrate that distortion field. When you are on the road, looking for a 14-50 outlet, do you really want to have a political argument? Just suck it up, and act grateful.

·
Registered
1,385 Posts
I can put the Trump stickers on the bumper if that helps, Lol.
Make America Great Again!!!
I'll definitely call ahead to confirm.

Thanks,
Make sure to back it with some painter's tape so you don't leave any residue if you need to remove it. If this is a repeat thing, mabye consider magnetic backing so you can install in a snap!

·
Registered
575 Posts
While most of the EVs in the US are assembled here, they have a lot of foreign components. Check your window sticker: the Bolt has just 26% US/Canadian content. There are huge numbers of EVs in foreign countries. In particular, China has hundreds of thousands, including massive buses. They produced about 700,000 last year alone.

http://www.ev-volumes.com/country/china/

https://www.greentechmedia.com/arti...ina-are-on-track-for-a-record-year#gs.O7QQOHk

The US is so very far behind in this field, much to the delight of the big oil companies.

·
Registered
2017 Bolt EV Ioniq 5 reservation
1,729 Posts
Virtually all RV parks, and all KoA Kampgrounds have NEMA 14-50 plugs. If they post their plugs on PlugShare, they are probably amenable to your bringing your own EVSE and plugging in. When I made a 242 mile trip to the mountains (no Level-2 for 80 miles) last July, I contacted two plug owners along the way. One said I could charge for “several” hours, but not overnight, if I made a $5 donation. The other said “no charge”. My destination, a camp where I was giving a lecture, has a 14-50 and I made it OK for the free overnight charge-to-full with my Siemens VersiCharge.

·
Registered
145 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
While most of the EVs in the US are assembled here, they have a lot of foreign components. Check your window sticker: the Bolt has just 26% US/Canadian content. There are huge numbers of EVs in foreign countries. In particular, China has hundreds of thousands, including massive buses. They produced about 700,000 last year alone.

http://www.ev-volumes.com/country/china/

https://www.greentechmedia.com/arti...ina-are-on-track-for-a-record-year#gs.O7QQOHk

The US is so very far behind in this field, much to the delight of the big oil companies.
China has to make as many EVs as they can, for their own immediate survival. Have you seen the 24/7/365 smog blanket that drapes over Beijing? My cousin works there, and he says the sky is gray pretty much year round, almost everyone wears a mask. There's a reason tons of Chinese want to and are buying properties in the USA, have their babies delivered on US soil (to obtain citizenship). Despite the gung ho rhetoric of their president, many Chinese want to move to America, Canada, and other European countries, while nobody wants to move there. I apologize for straying far off topic. :laugh:

·
Registered
449 Posts
I took a weekend trip of 220 miles @ 20 degrees F, stopped to charge on 240V @ 12 Amps with stock charger and home-made NEMA 14-50 adapter. Worked great. Still looking forward to the Tesla UMC on order that will up my AMPs to 32 in this scenario. Up here, we have no CCS infrastructure outside of the city (and doesn't look to improve much even under the VW plan) - Campgrounds/Parks that will allow it are critical to my taking a trip like this, this time of year. Yes, I have an ICE vehicle but I don't mind a stop during a 200 mile trip and love driving my Bolt!

·
Registered
1,166 Posts
Talk about wasting vacation time and money - should have just rented an ICE for the weekend.
It can easily be argued that the Bolt itself is a waste of money because VERY few people who buy a Bolt will ever save enough money driving it to make up for the additional cost to purchase it over a comparably equipped ICE vehicle. (Honda Fit EX-L for example is half the cost of a Bolt Limited).

We (hopefully) didn't buy the Bolt for savings but because we were interested in the EV technology, we were willing to be early adopters or a host of other reasons.

Making a journey that most wouldn't consider to be doable in an EV might just give him a sense of accomplishment on it's own.

·
Registered
7,450 Posts
Virtually all RV parks ... have NEMA 14-50 plugs. If they post their plugs on PlugShare, they are probably amenable to your bringing your own EVSE and plugging in. ... I contacted two plug owners along the way. One said I could charge for “several” hours ... if I made a $5 donation. The other said “no charge”.
That was very kind of the second place. I would have made a point of buying something from their camp store, assuming they have one.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.