Chevy Bolt EV Forum banner

1 - 20 of 102 Posts

·
Registered
928 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey all, new bolt lessee here. Price would have been questionable for me straight up, but it was too good to pass up with all the incentives.

Its been a while since I had a hatch back, glad to have a nice big hatch again. Besides the deal, the 2nd and 3rd factor that sold me were the power and room. Surprisingly roomy and quick! Two things I need as I have kids and I like to hoon. Man from the outside I would have never guessed how great it is even with 4 or 5 people loaded up. And I'm getting to 60mph under 8 seconds with wheelspin.. Which IMO is great! I grew up with 80's and 90's cars so anybody who knows those things will know they weren't the speediest things around.

I'm pretty stoked so far, out of my mind stoked actually. Only a few small gripes so far. I guess I can get in to that here as its a short list. The ride isn't as smooth as I would like. Also the grip is lacking. But I think both of those can be fixed with 15" or 16" stickier tires with a fatter more compliant sidewall.

I don't know if these intro threads are even worth posting, but figured I'd get warmed up here on the forum with one of them. I'll post up if I do end up swapping wheels.

·
Registered
118 Posts
Welcome to the forum, all courteous input is appreciated, now tell us where are from, details about your Bolt (color etc.) and your EV experience.

·
Registered
928 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Socal, white car. Charging at 12 amps 110v overnights. Its only been one night, but it seems to be enough charging for my usage. I think I won't need the 230v charger. I do have 230v outlets both at home and work, but its just not going to be necessary I don't think.

I have ordered some 16" front wheels. Going to try to cram as much tire as I can under the front. Maybe 235's or 245's. As it sits with the slipping stock tires its about on par with my old cars.. vw and hondas. 0-60 in about 7.5 to 8.0 seconds. Twice the weight, but twice the power too. Hopefully it will do better with some stickier tires. So I can be even more stoked than I already am.. great all around car so far.

·
Registered
4,802 Posts
Socal, white car. Charging at 12 amps 110v overnights. Its only been one night, but it seems to be enough charging for my usage. I think I won't need the 230v charger. I do have 230v outlets both at home and work, but its just not going to be necessary I don't think.
You can make or buy an adapter that plugs into your 240V socket on one end and has a 120V-style socket on the other end so that you can plug the EVSE that comes with the Bolt into it and run it off 240V (it's compatible with either voltage). It's cheap - probably only about $30 or 40 in parts, and it will cut your charging times in half.

Just be very careful not to use the adapter for anything else. Plugging something that only runs at 120V into a 240V power source will not end well.

·
Registered
928 Posts
Discussion Starter #5 (Edited)
Awesome tip! I was at 183 miles range this morning, so I'm keeping up with my commute- *if* I charge from arrival home in the evening to leaving for work in the morning.

I was a 179 IIRC yesterday morning before leaving. If I had to take any side trips I would start falling behind though. I do have access to my mom's car for road trips so its not a huge deal. But man it would be sweet to get a faster flow of charge.

Great find.. on the voltage adapter. Trying to imagine the first guy to try doubling the voltage. Like "here goes nothing!" but nah, I'm sure it was someone familiar with the components inside.

So it pulls 12 amps max at 110v, how much max can that little charger pull at 230v?

·
Registered
5,387 Posts
Awesome tip! I was at 183 miles range this morning, so I'm keeping up with my commute- *if* I charge from arrival home in the evening to leaving for work in the morning.

I was a 179 IIRC yesterday morning before leaving. If I had to take any side trips I would start falling behind though. I do have access to my mom's car for road trips so its not a huge deal. But man it would be sweet to get a faster flow of charge. Great find.. trying to imagine the first guy to try it. Like "here goes nothing!" but nah, I'm sure it was someone familiar with the components inside.

So it pulls 12 amps max at 110v, how much max can that little charger pull at 230v?
Same 12 amps, but at twice the voltage, so twice the charge rate.

·
Registered
928 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
So 8 miles per charge hour? Nice.

I still need to do the HOV app, and read up on the $2500 CA and $450 Edison incentives. And the $700 costco thing.

·
Registered
928 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I stopped by one of my local fast food joints that has a charger (with my chevy charge card thingy) to eat lunch. No dice tho, its blink. Or something. But I did get a tasty lunch at least.

I build the electrical cords for the machines at my workplace, so I may even already have the parts to build an adapter for my 230v outlet. I got to look at my spares collection. The location of the 230 outlet is far from ideal.. it would require a long cord. On the other hand I have a 110 outlet that is located just about perfectly. I'm not sure I want a huge 230 cord running outside with the kids and cats.

·
Registered
928 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Day 3, showed "193" range this morning when left for work. Looks like I'm all good even with lunch trips. The 110v charger is keeping up (and then some) on only PM charging.

I checked for fender and strut clearance and I'm highly doubtful a 245 or 235 is going to clear. I'm thinking about ordering 225 50 16 rt-615 summer tires, not even sure if those will fit.. Tire rack has none of their red dot confirmation on any of these tire sizes. Anybody with any experience, I would appreciate advice!!

Whats confusing to me is, they list 18x8 and 20x8.5 wheels for the Bolt. I'm guessing you would have to stretch a very narrow tire on those to get them to clear the strut and fender. I'm surprised those sizes are even listed for the Bolt. Seeing those wheels gave me a glimmer of hope to get 245's to clear, but I think its false hope..

·
Registered
928 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I got a reply from tire rack stating they did have a Bolt in for testing. They do show that a 225-50-16 should fit, but they do not show a 245-45-16 as fitting. I'm not sure if this means they tested it and found it to NOT fit, or if it means they just did not test that size.

Also from experience I know that brand to brand sizes can differ from the nominal size printed on the tire. Especially true with economy tires which can run narrow, and with performance tires which can run extremely wide. Which makes sense for a competitive advantage in classes limited to a certain nominal size. Many examples of this variation are displayed in tire rack's specs. Some 225's have a wider section width than other 245's.

Also in today's news I see Mazda has confirmed a turbo Mazda6.. which man that should be good.

·
Registered
928 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I mounted a 245-16 tire onto one of my inexpensive cast wheels to check for clearance. Scale says its just under 39 pounds for this combo. Haven't figured out how I'm going to jack the car up yet. So not sure if this tire size is going to work out, but I'm happy with the weight.

·
Registered
928 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
My first electrical bill is $50 higher/mos than before. I'm not sure how much of that is the car though.. Not bad, but I was hoping it would be less. I didn't have my off peak hours straight from day1 so hopefully the next one will be better. IIRC I was doing like 120 dollars a month on gasoline.

Also, got up to 100% charged for the first time since I got the car yesterday. Hit a peak of 160kW on the dash today for the first time. I noticed when its low it peaks in the 140's.

·
Registered
5,387 Posts
My first electrical bill is $50 higher/mos than before. Hit a peak of 160kW on the dash today for the first time. I noticed when its low it peaks in the 140's.
I see a correlation there. I have never tried for max kW on a full charge. I did it once at partial charge and saw about 145 kW. I was just curious to see if it would do it. I can't imagine doing that on a regular basis.

·
Registered
149 Posts
I got a reply from tire rack stating they did have a Bolt in for testing. They do show that a 225-50-16 should fit, but they do not show a 245-45-16 as fitting. I'm not sure if this means they tested it and found it to NOT fit, or if it means they just did not test that size.
Why would you want to put 16's on your Bolt? I think I'd rather have 18's

·
Registered
928 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
You are probably right about correlation. Honestly its worth the price if it is. Just noting it for the record. Also for the record I'm not flooring it often, the dash shows I'm average on kW per mile. I've finally got the Edison off peak schedule down pat, I think it has more to do with not knowing that. And Christmas lights. We shall see on the next few bills.

16" because better ride quality, lighter weight, less expensive. What I don't get is why would anybody want 18's? More weight, worse ride, more expensive.

·
Registered
149 Posts
Wouldn't the 18's give you more precise handling?

·
Registered
928 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Check out your local autocross fast guys, or track day junkies. I bet you will find lots wheels smaller than 18. Or check out an F1 car.. they handle.

18's- more expensive wheels, more expensive tires, more weight, and weight further from the rotation center. That means worse accel, worse braking, less efficiency, worse range. Not to mention potholes. Yeah the looks though, I bet 18's would look really nice. That is what big wheels are really all about right. Lets just admit it.

·
Registered
928 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
An i3 ran me last night. Man I didn't realize those things were so fast. He hung right there with me.. he let out first but we were dead even until that point.

·
Registered
928 Posts
Discussion Starter #20 (Edited)
Update for myself, or anybody else that cares to read.

Latest electric bill was 98$ total which is 40 higher than average. Considering a few bucks for Christmas lights, this is closer to what I was hoping for. We (used to) do $50 to $70 a month with five people.

Reasons our base bill was so low- We have natural gas for stove, water heater and clothes dryer. House is lit with 100% LED, and we run a single fridge, its packed to the gills 24/7. Also we get lots of sunlight and run pretty much run nothing during peak. Personally I think the (lazy storage) 2nd fridge is the biggest mistake folks make on kWh use. I see it all the time, two half empty fridges..

My gas car for like 900 miles a month ran $100 or thereabouts. Could have been closer to 120$ the way I drive. I'd have to dig up receipts to really know exactly in that range it fell. If the electric bill gets down to $35 over my last year electricity ave I'll be very happy. I think it will after winter.

The past few mornings I have been greeted with a 100% full battery every. dang. morning. Which is nice. I can see now the occasional non-commute trip is the only thing that will keep it from being normally full. Which will be fine as I will catch back up gradually on charge.

1 - 20 of 102 Posts