Chevy Bolt EV Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
112 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So, I was considering upgrading the awful OEM backup camera to an HD model until I helped someone out with a TV situation and realized that Composite Video Cable is only capable of 480i.
It had been a while since I've seen one, as everything (well not the backup camera in our bolts) is HDMI and digital, and once I did see it, I remembered the video limit on it is about 480.

It's interesting, because there is a myriad of so called 1080p 'HD' Cameras that come with the RCA Composite cable.

Has anyone else upgraded the camera?
Does anyone else think it would be worth it?

·
Registered
1,324 Posts
I support and will follow your project, but since you asked, I for one would chime in that it's not quite worth it. I agree that it is much less than what I expected in resolution/clarity .... but it is functional at the end of the day. There are things in my life that I do that others would pass on, so I get where your desire is coming from to upgrade this.

·
Registered
153 Posts
Has anyone tried this yet? Or have information one way or the other?

Was the old system analog and the new system is digital?

·
Registered
1,324 Posts
Has anyone tried this yet? Or have information one way or the other?

Was the old system analog and the new system is digital?
Is the stock SD camera really this bad? I only use it to backup out of my 600ft driveway, but I see what I need to see clearly. Could this be a bi-focal issue, cataracts or some other element?

·
Registered
367 Posts
Is the stock SD camera really this bad? I only use it to backup out of my 600ft driveway, but I see what I need to see clearly. Could this be a bi-focal issue, cataracts or some other element?
No it isn’t that bad at all. People just like to complain about little things. My 2019 is completely fine for its purpose.

·
Registered
1,324 Posts
No it isn’t that bad at all. People just like to complain about little things. My 2019 is completely fine for its purpose.
After seeing more and more posts from people driving 5+ below the speed limit, and the complaining I think I've come to the conclusion that it's an abundance of Blue Hair Grippers. And in all fairness, it could be an eyesight issue. I've had to resort to cheaters, and it super super sucks to go from perfect vision to using cheaters. I suspect we're dealing with cataracts, bi-focals and the elderly with decreased motor and visual sensory skills. It will happen to all of us. Getting old sucks. I guess I'll know when it's time for a morphine drip; When I complain about the camera. Now that I put this into perspective I totally get it and totally understand the need for the HD camera. And darn it, I’m headed right there with them based on the fact that I was using 1.25 cheaters 2 years ago and now I’m at 1.75’s.

·
Registered
112 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Just returned to read some of the responses and I have to laugh.

ZoomZoom.. No, I am definitely not the 'blue haired type' LOL.. in fact.. quite the opposite. =)

I am the type that can tell the difference between a 4k and 1080p picture from 10 feet away. I am the type that 10 years ago rolled his eyes when someone was tuned to a standard def TV station when they had a 1080i television... and then they said couldn't tell tell the difference. At the time, I just assumed they just didn't want to admit they didn't know better, but now I guess I see that people just really don't see differences in video resolutions.

Why do I think the camera is so bad? Well because I drive 3 other late model vehicles, in addition to my Bolt and ALL of them have a better backup display than my Bolt.

Eriamjh1138.. Thank you for answering the question. It seems that upgrading to HD is more complicated than just a camera swap, especially with some of the junk I'm seeing on Amazon, though I still stand by my original statement that it wouldnt have cost that much extra if GM had just added it in the first place.. and before i catch flack for saying it.. reminder MSRP 37.5 ish.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts