Chevy Bolt EV Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
After many weeks browsing this forum and watching YouTube reviews on the Bolt I'm ready to purchase (no lease I bank 34000 miles a year)! My sales person and the dealership was shocked yesterday when I called them back, I guess it's highly unlikely that a customer returns to purchase after their first visit.

I'm going for a MSRP $38,300 LT with DC charging and the cargo privacy cover. I wasn't on the manifest list but do qualify an educator discount. This dealership has (13) Bolts sitting in the lot as the Central Valley (California) knows little or cares about this car.

After reading the deals many of you got I'd really like to pay $34k before taxes and fees. I was assured that I wouldn't pay MSRP by the salesman during my first visit and it should be better with the educator discount. Unfortunately I wasn't on their manifest list despite purchasing a diesel Cruze in 2014.

Any tips for me to get the price I want? Or any other considerations?

They're matching my already approved credit union APR of 2.24% (putting $4K down) and seem eager to make the sell as I'm meeting with the sales manager to make sure I purchase.

·
Registered
6,214 Posts
Any tips for me to get the price I want? Or any other considerations?
Sure, tell them if they want to get the car off their lot, then they must meet your price. Walk away if they don't.

I've only once purchased a vehicle from a dealership. They asked what it would take for me to buy, and I said they had to sell for x amount. They came within $200 (after coming down $5,000 from the initial offer), so I walked away.

A week later, the dealership called and asked if I was still interested in the car. I said yes, but for the same x amount. They wouldn't budge, so I hung up.

A week later, the dealership called and said they would concede the remaining $200 to meet my price.

·
Registered
2,022 Posts
Show them comps from other local dealerships on the same trim level Bolt....

·
Registered
2017 Bolt EV Ioniq 5 reservation
1,729 Posts
Sure, tell them if they want to get the car off their lot, then they must meet your price. Walk away if they don't.

I've only once purchased a vehicle from a dealership. They asked what it would take for me to buy, and I said they had to sell for x amount. They came within $200 (after coming down $5,000 from the initial offer), so I walked away.

A week later, the dealership called and asked if I was still interested in the car. I said yes, but for the same x amount. They wouldn't budge, so I hung up.

A week later, the dealership called and said they would concede the remaining $200 to meet my price.
I did the same with a Subaru demo car. I said I would pay X and when they tried to play games, I walked away. One week later they called me to say I could have it for the price I offered. (They still made a profit, I am sure, just not as large as they had hoped.)

·
Registered
6,214 Posts
Another word of advice; don't let them draw out a "4-square". They will start the 4-square by asking what your monthly budget is and how much down payment you can make, then they will tell you how much they will offer on the trade in. Finally, they inflate the price of the vehicle to absorb whatever room your monthly budget allows.

Instead, negotiate the price alone, independent of anything else. Tell them that your monthly budget is none of their concern, and that you will manage your own money.

Sell your used car private party to maximize profit. If you must trade it in, negotiate the trade value independent of anything else, just like you negotiated the price of the new car. This means you need to do your homework to see what the dealer will sell your used car for, and give you leverage in the negotiation.

Don't just accept the dealer financing unless there is a special promotional rate. Lots of credit unions have financing just above 2%.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Show them comps from other local dealerships on the same trim level Bolt....
You my friend saved me a bunch! I emailed a few dealerships and only one returned my email with a quote which was much lower than the dealership I went into tonight. They matched the offer of $35,553.00 from an out of town dealer and initially said $37,300 was the lowest they'd go. I got a Bolt with DC charging on the LT trim!

New Bolt in the drive way, thanks for the help everyone.

·
Registered
2,022 Posts
^ sweet!

Enjoy the Bolt....

·
Registered
2017 Bolt EV Ioniq 5 reservation
1,729 Posts
You my friend saved me a bunch! I emailed a few dealerships and only one returned my email with a quote which was much lower than the dealership I went into tonight. They matched the offer of $35,553.00 from an out of town dealer and initially said $37,300 was the lowest they'd go. I got a Bolt with DC charging on the LT trim!

Very cool. I did not get such a deal. Can you lend me 5 bucks?

·
Registered
15 Posts

I cannot believe how lucky you are living in US. Here in Toronto nothing is that easy. Yesterday GM dealer called me and told me my order went into system. "Expect car in November - February if you lucky, but there is a big chance you will receive your car in a May". :confused:

What is that? They are overstocked in US and totally dry north of the border!

·
Registered
7,501 Posts
That only works if you're the only one willing to buy the car.

Here in Canada there are far more people looking for Bolts than there are Bolts available. That's because there are zero Bolts available. If you want one, you have to hope that you get very lucky and manage to snag a factory order that someone else cancelled, and then you have to pay full price. There's no chance of negotiating a deal because if you walk away then the next guy in line will step right up to the plate.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts