Chevy Bolt EV Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Anyone know or have done anything with the headlights yet. I know they are HIDs, which typically are quite power intensive, so I was hoping to switch them out with some LEDs, to help mitigate some of the power draw of the car. SO my question is to really know whether or not it is possible and what size these bulbs might actually be?

·
Banned
350 Posts
A) LEDs would greatly reduce the amount of light compared to the HIDs for anything that would fit in the headlight housing.
B) Because the reflector and lens are optimized for the HID plasma arc - it's size and position - LEDs would produce a vague pattern with a poor cutoff at the top, and not smooth even lighting. You would be annoying oncoming drivers all the time.
C) The power draw of the HIDs is around 50w - 5 hundredths of a kW, and the electronics that drive LEDs are not all that efficient, so you would not net any measurable savings in range.

The Chevy HIDs are a lot better at this than any aftermarket could be without replacing the entire headlight assembly.

Just don't even bother.

·
Registered
181 Posts
An HID headlight will draw about 75watts. The Bolt has two of them, so that is 150 watts. Running them for six hours continuously will use about 1KWH. That is about four miles of range. How much do you expect gain by switching to LED bulbs?

Ed

·
Registered
862 Posts
They are most likely D3S bulbs with 35W ballasts (that's what other Chevy vehicles with OEM HID's use). HID's actually use less power that halogens.

LED D3S bulbs run from 36 to 50 Watts (each), so you will use MORE energy and it is most likely that the light output will be inferior.

Stick with the factory HID's.

·
Registered
4,793 Posts
Wow - three different replies and three different opinions on how much power the HID bulbs take. Unfortunately, the owner's manual doesn't even list the bulb type, so I couldn't look it up...

·
Registered
1,031 Posts
We really need something a bit more set in stone lol. So far we have 50w, 75w, and 35w. Don't they also come in 55w as well?

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
We really need something a bit more set in stone lol. So far we have 50w, 75w, and 35w. Don't they also come in 55w as well?
Agreed, honestly was just discussing the possibility, if it doesn't seem like a power saver then I will leave them alone.

·
Registered
735 Posts
Wow - three different replies and three different opinions on how much power the HID bulbs take. Unfortunately, the owner's manual doesn't even list the bulb type, so I couldn't look it up...
Check with your local Chevy dealer, sometimes those guys in the Parts department will give you that information. Or even parts stores that have the Bolt in their system.

·
Registered
862 Posts
OEM ballast will most likely be by Osram and WILL have 35 W output.
https://www.theretrofitsource.com/brand/osram/d1-d3-osram-xenaelectron-35w-45w.html

AFIK, all OEM HID's are 35 W, and only aftermarket ballasts put out more power. These are often used by people putting an HID "kit" in a housing not designed for it (halogen reflector). 55W is the most common "upgrade" size.

·
Registered
786 Posts
Try my favorite LED supplier: Formula-j87.com . They sold me LED lamps for my 1995 Buick Regal and my 2009 Chevy Equinox. If they don't have a LED replacement for the 2017 Chevy Bolt EV headlamps because it is a new vehicle. they can sell replacement LED for all the other incandescent bulbs in the vehicle, or for most other vehicles. Thanks to them, all the lamps of my two GM cars are 100% LED.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Firstly,
Many of you need to do some more research in regards to lighting, especially on HIDs.

Here are the FACTS:
1.)The headlights in the Bolt are 35W HID variants, so combined pulling about 70 watts. Whoever said they are 75W each is either a pilot who has 100W boom beam HIDs for landling lights on his Beechcraft, or has no clue what he's talking about.

2.) Replacing an integrated self-leveling HID headlight system with some EBay LED bulbs is not going to help your range, but rather cause nothing but electronic glitches. The Lumeninous Flux (light output) reported by LED resellers are massively incorrect. They take the peak output under the most ideal of conditions and multiply by the number of LEDs. This is a bogus method of advertising, there are many other factors that go into it. Also, these junk LEDs have cheap non-insulated drivers and boards that will cause interference with your electronics. Most importantly, the optics will be thrown WAY off and you'll notice that the sides of your car light up tremendously well, but the road ahead is pitch black.

3.) HID headlights produce WAY more light than even the best LED headlights. Why? Because, aiming 15 LEDs which naturally have no consistency to have a sharp cutoff line like HIDs is similar to Black Magic (very difficult). Also, quality LED headlights are incredibly expensive, hence why GM didn't use them to begin with. The reason they are expensive is due to the fact that many LED bulbs are thrown away from a batch due to inconsistent output and results.

It's commendable that you are trying to squeeze everything you can from this machine, but you should stop modifying things when they begin to negatively impact your safety and the safety of others. If you want to improve your range, remove the rear seats, that's a net gain of at least 60lbs. You will see results. Also, get some forged featherweight wheels from a company like HRE. You can probably save 3-5lbs per wheel which is 6-10lbs per axle. That is called unsprung weight and 20lbs of unsprung weight is the equivalent of removing 55-60lbs of weight from inside the car. You will see a significant gain if you do all 4 wheels and your car will accelerate and brake much much better.

Just my $0.02

·
Registered
8 Posts
Thanks for your $.02

Finally...someone that knows what they are talking-about!!...I hate when people write stuff when they are only guessing. If you don’t know for sure, stop writing. Nothing wrong with the three words “I don’t know”. MISINFORMATION is way worse than NO INFORMATION
Your $.02 is worth double here ;-)

·
Registered
1,931 Posts
^ Except that the Bolt headlights are not "integrated self-leveling" as stated in section 2 of post 11. ;)

·
Registered
645 Posts
And the comments about lousy lighting from aftermarket LEDs are right on target.

There are No LEDs that give as much light as our HIDs, or the legally-required sharp cutoff at the top of the pattern.

Don't waste your money or make your headlights work worse - they are excellent as they are.

For a great source on the topic: https://www.danielsternlighting.com/

1 - 14 of 14 Posts